Turn on thread page Beta

BA Human Geography dissertation, help with my idea? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for ideas for my BA Human Geography dissertation.

What I'm thinking is studying the transformation of a city, at this moment probably Birmingham. Transformation from modernism to post modernism in the form of architecture, imagery etc. And analysing various social demographics. With a potentially heavy use of photography.

Basically I have a few ideas and a tonne of resources but I'm lost to putting it together. A lot of people are talking about analysing data. For example - A friend of mine is going to study childrens perception of Africa, after a trip to Uganda last year. She is also in a school once a week (teacher trainee). So she has a specific social group (children) to analyse and results to conclude upon. Basically a proper investigation.

I have nothing like that, no data to analyse and nobody specific to focus on. From what I gather, it seems these are essential factors of a dissertation, but anything I have at the moment just seems like a glorified essay.

Am I wrong in thinking this? If so, are there any ideas anybody can suggest to turn this vague area of study into a full investigation? I have plenty of time and even more motivation. My father died at the end of last year, its very much in dedication to his good self :o:

Thankyou very much in advance,

Shane.

ReputationRep:
    You say that you want to make heavy use of photography, who were you thinking of using for that part? Yourself or other groups? Taking new photos or old ones?

Are you wanting to focus more on the social side of things or the human perceptions of change, or are you wanting to be more process-driven?

Dissertations usually (although not always) have a primary research element, and the data gathered from that is then analysed. If using more documentary sources these need to be analysed too, but in different ways.

Have you got your topic approved and a supervisor assigned yet? They should be able to help with the more logistical aspects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Fx)
    Hi guys,

I'm looking for ideas for my BA Human Geography dissertation.

What I'm thinking is studying the transformation of a city, at this moment probably Birmingham. Transformation from modernism to post modernism in the form of architecture, imagery etc. And analysing various social demographics. With a potentially heavy use of photography.
    TheOneWho has covered what you should be doing re sources and stuff so I'll just say that you should really read Ed Soja's work on Postmetropolis, Dear and Flusty, Amin and Thrift, Nan Ellin's Architectures of Fear and loads of other stuff before you get started. I'd post more stuff to read but that would involve actually going to look up what you should read rather than me remembering it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 28, 2010

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.