social work uni interview 'HELP'!!! please! Watch

zhoyte
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
i have had two interviews so far one for london met and the other greenwhich uni. i have had a moc interview through my college and although it was helpful i feel abit :eek3: as im being told different things from diff people within the college. just any help with social work interviews and the process in general and if you hav any specific relevance to the uni's i stated would b most helpful. especially anyone who has been through them within the last three years. :thanx
jycave1
Report 8 years ago
hey there,
i went for my Nursing interview in November and i had a friend that had a interview for social work at notts i am not sure if the interviews are the same at all unis however she said it was pretty intense however just be yourself and you will be fine just a little advice don't panic, be yourself, and listen to the questions they ask you before answering them.
They are all very friendly and expect you to be nervous so don't worry. sorry its not much but thought it may help as i know how nerve wracking it is we both start in September so we must of done something right let me know how you get on, good luck!!!!!!!!

jemma
jellybeanjen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Go into the Social Sciences University Courses forum here on TSR, there's a lot of information about Social Work interviews on there. Basically think about why you want to be a social worker, situations where you've helped people, what it means to work in an anti-discriminatory/anti-oppressive fashion, and read about current issues and news on www.communitycare.co.uk
All unis have a slightly different interview process. You may have to do a combination of any of the following:
An individual interview where you answer questions by yourself to either a panel or individual lecturer
A group discussion where you talk about an article or video clip and the interviewer(s) watch how you answer and how you interact verbally and non-verbally with the other participants.
English and Maths tests
A timed essay on an element of social work. You may or may not be given the chance to prepare this beforehand.

Good luck, and keep us posted!!
Hirm
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by zhoyte)
i have had two interviews so far one for london met and the other greenwhich uni. i have had a moc interview through my college and although it was helpful i feel abit :eek3: as im being told different things from diff people within the college. just any help with social work interviews and the process in general and if you hav any specific relevance to the uni's i stated would b most helpful. especially anyone who has been through them within the last three years. :thanx

here are a few questions they asked me in my individual interview. there were 7 in total but can just remember these.
1.have u ever witnessed or seen oppression or discrimination...what did u do and how did u deal with it.
2.what do social worker do?
3.what skills would you bring from your previous studies to the social work study?
4.what skills would u bring from ur experiences (work, personal, voluntary).
5.what are the advantages and disadvantages of using personal experiences in to ur practice?

in the written exercise they asked...why do u want to be a social worker and what skills and experiences would u bring.

the group exercise is observed. u are given a statement to discuss within ur group. my was...how does media exposure on cases like baby peter effect social work practice?

check out www.socialworkcareers.co.uk
this is a fab website. downlaod the "careers in social work" booklet, its great.

i hope this info is usefull and not too late.
good luck!!
lisawaite
Report 8 years ago
hi there, im new to this forum, but read a few posts and people seem very friendly. i have an interview coming up and the first stage is a written essay white lasts one hour followed by a group debate which im really nervous of. the topic is going to be " damned if you do, and damned if you dont! what implication does this have on social workers".

any idea guys will be much appreciated, have not idea what to expect.

thanks

Lisa x:eek:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The results of this poll are hidden until the poll closes.

Watched Threads