Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Decided to upload some vids on YouTube, I have a really shoddy camera that makes the sound go out of sync but hey it's a start.

I mainly play Irish tunes but can do a bit of classical, I'm just looking for some criticism (it doesn't have to be constructive - I'm thick skinned)

Particularly looking for opinions of violinists (or even fiddlers if there are any out there! :p: )

P.S. This isn't a desperate plea for more video views, I'm genuinely wanting some feedback on my playing, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    sounds pretty good, can't believe weird al played with you though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wesssty)
    sounds pretty good, can't believe weird al played with you though.
    HAHAHA!

Actually that's a friend of mine, called Joe. Lol, made my day with the Weird Al comparison

ReputationRep:
    Very, very good.

Now do that in a pub.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lust of a Gardener)
    Very, very good.

Now do that in a pub.
    Thanks

I do play in pubs quite a bit, especially in Manchester where there are many top Irish / Manc Irish musicians to aspire to.

ReputationRep:
    pretty good

a bit of buzzing, but i get that a lot when i play the guitar

8.5/10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    Decided to upload some vids on YouTube, I have a really shoddy camera that makes the sound go out of sync but hey it's a start.

I mainly play Irish tunes but can do a bit of classical, I'm just looking for some criticism (it doesn't have to be constructive - I'm thick skinned)

Particularly looking for opinions of violinists (or even fiddlers if there are any out there! :p: )

P.S. This isn't a desperate plea for more video views, I'm genuinely wanting some feedback on my playing, thanks!
    You're actually wonderful! although i'm not actually a violin player myself, so my opinion might not count for much, but i do love a bit of Irish Celtic/ folk music and the such and i'd definitely come and watch you..
    you should get a band together!!

p.s i like your hat too..

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

I do play in pubs quite a bit, especially in Manchester where there are many top Irish / Manc Irish musicians to aspire to.
    Nice work where do you play in Manchester?

ReputationRep:
    i read it as rate my poo :facepalm:, anyway you not too bad

ReputationRep:
    Pretty damn good. Playing like that in pubs must be awesome.

The third one is naice. :yep:

It may just be me being a bit anal, and I can't see very well from where the camera is, but if you try moving your thumb back a bit closer to the end of the fingerboard, near the pegs, that should let you turn the rest of your left hand a bit more round and should let you reach extremities better. Might not be particularly relevant for folk, but it certainly helps for Paganini caprices. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farmboy_Pip)
    You're actually wonderful! although i'm not actually a violin player myself, so my opinion might not count for much, but i do love a bit of Irish Celtic/ folk music and the such and i'd definitely come and watch you..
    you should get a band together!!

p.s i like your hat too..
    Thanks a lot! Looking at your flag I'm guessing you're from the Isle of Man, not so far away from Ireland so it's not surprising that you like the Celtic stuff! Yeah the hat was a necessity, I did this vid when it was like -15C and my house took forever to heat up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pete.mcfc)
    Nice work where do you play in Manchester?
    The Jolly Angler pub on Thursday/Saturday evenings
    Waxy O'Connors at the Printworks on Sunday evenings
    Union Inn (levenshulme) on Wednesdays

All pretty good standard music sessions those

(Original post by ParadigmShift)
    It may just be me being a bit anal, and I can't see very well from where the camera is, but if you try moving your thumb back a bit closer to the end of the fingerboard, near the pegs, that should let you turn the rest of your left hand a bit more round and should let you reach extremities better. Might not be particularly relevant for folk, but it certainly helps for Paganini caprices. :dontknow:
    Good technique is relevant for pretty much all styles, though rhythm is the most important thing in Irish stuff. Yeah I think I know what you're saying, I need to have a good long hard look at how I hold the violin coz there are all kinds of problems you get later on if you have poor technique :eek2:

ReputationRep:
    nice job
    violin IS very cool :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot! Looking at your flag I'm guessing you're from the Isle of Man, not so far away from Ireland so it's not surprising that you like the Celtic stuff! Yeah the hat was a necessity, I did this vid when it was like -15C and my house took forever to heat up!
    yeah it's great, there are a few amazing celtic bands over here..

also, my sister lives in Manchester and has been gigging around for a while, you should keep an eye out for her, she's a celtic/folk lover too (her name's Carrie Mason) i think she's just started playing violin again, or she was talking about it over christmas.

just thought i'd mention it stay amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, you're really good

I'm not very clued up on that style of music/playing, but I was wondering is it possible to use more bow, as you're using the tiniest bit? Forgive me if I'm being ignorant though.

ReputationRep:
    I would give two pieces of advice:

1) Practise with a metronome. Sometimes it wasn't totally in time or you sped up or slowed down a little.

2) Practise thinks a little more slowly so you can get your accuracy up - the pitch sounds pretty good but sometimes I think you might have sometimes caught some of the other strings with your bow whilst playing?

Altogether though, very nice and keep it up I especially like the way you play the little ornaments.

ReputationRep:
    yeah it's great, there are a few amazing celtic bands over here..

also, my sister lives in Manchester and has been gigging around for a while, you should keep an eye out for her, she's a celtic/folk lover too (her name's Carrie Mason) i think she's just started playing violin again, or she was talking about it over christmas.

just thought i'd mention it stay amazing.
    Current artists I like are Mike McGoldrick, Dezi Donnely, Danú, Téada, Seamus Mcguire & John Lee, Matt Molloy plus lots of other really talented players! Haven't heard of a Carrie Mason, tell to go to some Manc sessions if she's ever free, you can find out about sessions on the internet :cool:

I will try :p:

(Original post by Jelkin)
    1) Practise with a metronome. Sometimes it wasn't totally in time or you sped up or slowed down a little.

2) Practise thinks a little more slowly so you can get your accuracy up - the pitch sounds pretty good but sometimes I think you might have sometimes caught some of the other strings with your bow whilst playing?
    I agree that practising with a metronome helps, sometimes i play along to recordings though that usually helps. Sometimes you can play more than one string for this sort of stuff to act as a drone, but yeah I usually hit the other strings accidentally so they sound discordant :p:

(Original post by tinytinygirl)
    I'm not very clued up on that style of music/playing, but I was wondering is it possible to use more bow
    It's always possible to use more bow you're right , I guess it's just my style of playing it, there are some players I know who literally hold the bow halfway up the stick so they hardly use anything!

ReputationRep:
    Current artists I like are Mike McGoldrick, Dezi Donnely, Danú, Téada, Seamus Mcguire & John Lee, Matt Molloy plus lots of other really talented players! Haven't heard of a Carrie Mason, tell to go to some Manc sessions if she's ever free, you can find out about sessions on the internet :cool:

I will try :p:
    never heard of any of them :p: i'll look them up on last.fm..
    and i will definitely tell her, i'm sure she'd appreciate a fellow fiddler..

ReputationRep:
    never heard of any of them :p: i'll look them up on last.fm..
    and i will definitely tell her, i'm sure she'd appreciate a fellow fiddler..
    Tbh, you'll find better stuff on YouTube, people tend to post a lot of stuff from gigs and that, happy listening!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMixedTape7)
    wow that was some really good violin.
    wayyy better than i can play
    Thanks

Do you play folk stuff or mainly classical?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.