Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Im so lost as to what uni to accept as firm...please help! watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to try and keep this as short as possible but...

In the summer of year 11 i was kidnapped and sexually assaulted by 2 men for around 10 hours. As you can imagine the ordeal had a huge impact on my mental health and in the year that followed i suffered from severe depression, anorexia, social anxiety and tried to commit suicide on a few occasions. Added to this, whereas previously i was outgoing veryy social and, i became very reclusive and 'weird' and as they didn't know was bullied by my former 'friends' becuase i'd changed so much. This all resulted in me eventually being admitted to a mental-health unit and i by the end of y12 my attendance was around 20%. As I am desperate to go to uni this year, I am sitting all my A-levels in one year and am having to teach myself most of the AS modules. Although I am predicted AAB (I'm applying for Maths), those predictions reflect potential rather than the enormity of work i am going to have to do to gain them whilst still being in recovery. Realisticaly, I am hoping for ABB.
    Anyway, i applied via the Leeds Access scheme and have been accepted so they have dropped my offer to ABC, which is great, except for the fact that my heart really is not there - i went to visit and it just didn't get me excited or feel like somewhere I can imagine living/studying. My first choice would be Birmingham, who have offered me ABB, which yes is attainable, but puts so much pressure on me when im in bit of a fragile state.
    The ridicuolus thing is, under the Leeds Access scheme Birmingham are supposed to also consider you, but just because i don't live in the West Midlands, they are refusing to drop a grade, so living in the West Midlands and being poor is more detrimental than what i've been through? hmmm...
    anyway, i can only have the Leeds Access offer if it is a firm offer (otherwise it reverts back to the original AAB). So i can either accept Leeds access and will most probably get into uni, even though it's not the one i want, or I can accept Birmingham and have a higher risk.
    I just don't know what to do...
    I am going to Birmingham in a few weeks so do you think if i find someone and face to face explain the circumstance they might drop a grade? or it is quite likely i will end up with AAC (A maths A Economics C F.Maths), will they accept that in place of an ABB?

Please please help, im so confused and it's really getting me down.

ReputationRep:
    i dont see what any of that has to do with which uni you apply to...

ReputationRep:
    Are you male or female?

Did the people get caught? 10 freaking hours????

I seriously feel sorry for you.

ReputationRep:
    no they didn't, people like that never get caught, which doesn't help but i'm okay now, **** happens so don't feel sorry for me!x

i'm just trying to explain why I applied to the Access schemes, why i really need some grades dropped, and just want some advice on which offer to take because i can't take both!
    Take Leeds - i have a place at uni almost guaranteed
    but it's not where my heart is
    Take Brum - theres a chance I won't get in but it's where i really want to go
    oh and do you think Brum would accept AAC in place of ABB x

ReputationRep:
    I can see a no-brainer, while it may be tough for you to attain those grades, if you went for Leeds and didn't like it then there's no point in wasting money and drop out, go for the Firm as Birmingham, work hard and while it's extra difficult for you; you'll have more motivation in attaining those grades because you genuinely want to go there.

ReputationRep:
    Wait until you've been to B'ham and had a chat with someone there (or phone them up - might be easier to be directed to right person that way). It's 3 years of your life so you want to be happy. Having said that Leeds may surprise you. It's very hard to form a true picture of somewhere from just one visit.

ReputationRep:
    Predicted grades should not reflect potential, they should be based on hard evidence. I sympathise with your situation, but I curse your school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iapetus)
    Predicted grades should not reflect potential, they should be based on hard evidence. I sympathise with your situation, but I curse your school.
    Basically I got BBC in my AS's by teaching myself Maths, F. Maths and Economics in a month, with two of those weeks being in a hospital.
    So they don't reflect my AS's but my school thinks they're the grades I should get based on the fact i'll actually be taught my subjects for a year. Maybe i wrongly used the words potential.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marleyxx)
    Basically I got BBC in my AS's by teaching myself Maths, F. Maths and Economics in a month, with two of those weeks being in a hospital.
    So they don't reflect my AS's but my school thinks they're the grades I should get based on the fact i'll actually be taught my subjects for a year. Maybe i wrongly used the words potential.
    Well that's bloody brilliant! I was too harsh in retrospect. It does seem to me that lots of people on here get vastly over predicted though, and it annoys me severely.

For the record, I'd give Birmingham a try. I loved it when I looked around Nice campus.

ReputationRep:
    I am not so sure about Birmingham. I've heard funny things about the people who live there. Apparently it is dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should put Birmingham as firm, as you said you don't like Leed's so why go there and have a miserable time. Go to Birmingham where you'll feel more happy you'll have to work hard though.

I support you!

ReputationRep:
    Good attempt, what do the judges think?

5/10 - 6/10 - 5/10 - 7/10

Impressive, keep up the good work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marleyxx)
    no they didn't, people like that never get caught, which doesn't help but i'm okay now, **** happens so don't feel sorry for me!x

i'm just trying to explain why I applied to the Access schemes, why i really need some grades dropped, and just want some advice on which offer to take because i can't take both!
    Take Leeds - i have a place at uni almost guaranteed
    but it's not where my heart is
    Take Brum - theres a chance I won't get in but it's where i really want to go
    oh and do you think Brum would accept AAC in place of ABB x
    Possibly, If you are a bright student with potential, they were liant for a friend of mine
    Can you not put Birmingham as your second choice? They dont know what your primary grade offer was so, to be honest, if you just call them with your grades then it should be fine....
    I know people who have done that too!

Good luck!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.