Turn on thread page Beta

How is my new workout routine? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im a bit of a hardgainer and not a very experienced weight lifter. any feedback on my routine and how to improve it?

Mon- chest and back
    dumbell bench press
    dumbell incline press
    lateral pulldown
    upright row
    deadlift
    ab work

Wed- legs and biceps
    barbell bicep curl
    squats
    lunges
    seated calf raises

Fri- triceps and shoulders
    dips
    barbell shoulder press
    lateral raise
    dumbbell shrugs
    ab work

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Yes, stop it being gay

Mon
    Squats
    Front Squats
    Romanian Deadlift
    Calves

Wed
    Push Press
    Bench Press
    Close Grip Bench Press
    Barbell Curl

Fri
    Deadlifts
    Barbell Row
    V-Bar Pulldown
    Barbell Shrugs

Done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    Yes, stop it being gay

Mon
    Squats
    Front Squats
    Romanian Deadlift
    Calves

Wed
    Push Press
    Bench Press
    Close Grip Bench Press
    Barbell Curl

Fri
    Deadlifts
    Barbell Row
    V-Bar Pulldown
    Barbell Shrugs

Done
    what aspect of it is gay?

ReputationRep:
    Anything before squats

A whole back workout before deadlifts

KISS mate, KISS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butthead7)
    im a bit of a hardgainer
    If you are a genuine hard gainer (emphasis on 'if') why the crazy amount of volume?

The vast majority of the time if you aren't growing it is incredibly unlikely to be due to the fact that you're not getting enough volume. In fact if you are genuinely a hardgainer you'd probably benefit from cutting back on the volume and focusing on improving in the core lifts.

As PL said keep it simple.

and not a very experienced weight lifter.
    Why then are you trying to design your own routine?

Leave it to the experts until you have a decent amount of experience under your belt and a decent knowledge base - I will guarantee that you will make far greater progress.

any feedback on my routine and how to improve it?
    Bin it and start with something which is guaranteed to work (eg; Starting Strength, Westside for Skinny *******s, the routine PL posted, etc).

Also eat properly I'm willing to bet that you aren't a hardgainer at all but simply someone that doesn't eat very much and/or much quality food. If you think you can prove us wrong by all means post an outline of your diet.

ReputationRep:
    Anything before squats

A whole back workout before deadlifts

KISS mate, KISS
    sorry the exercises arent necessarily in any particular order. shouldve stated that.

Too many isolation exercises in there. Focus on the compound exercises and strength training. You should just be doing squats, deadlifts, bench and clean and press.

Your routine is too advanced. Go for starting strength by Rippetoe and follow it properly. As a beginner myself I tried a routine similar to yours but quickly noticed that it wasn't working. I ended up doing too much and had severe doms. I didn't have the base to do that stuff. Since I moved to starting strength I've been feeling a lot better and my weights have been going up a lot.

Have a read:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh_2)
    Too many isolation exercises in there. Focus on the compound exercises and strength training. You should just be doing squats, deadlifts, bench and clean and press.

Your routine is too advanced. Go for starting strength by Rippetoe and follow it properly. As a beginner myself I tried a routine similar to yours but quickly noticed that it wasn't working. I ended up doing too much and had severe doms. I didn't have the base to do that stuff. Since I moved to starting strength I've been feeling a lot better and my weights have been going up a lot.

Have a read:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

Good luck.
    cheers dude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    If you are a genuine hard gainer (emphasis on 'if') why the crazy amount of volume?

The vast majority of the time if you aren't growing it is incredibly unlikely to be due to the fact that you're not getting enough volume. In fact if you are genuinely a hardgainer you'd probably benefit from cutting back on the volume and focusing on improving in the core lifts.

As PL said keep it simple.

Why then are you trying to design your own routine?

Leave it to the experts until you have a decent amount of experience under your belt and a decent knowledge base - I will guarantee that you will make far greater progress.

Bin it and start with something which is guaranteed to work (eg; Starting Strength, Westside for Skinny *******s, the routine PL posted, etc).

Also eat properly I'm willing to bet that you aren't a hardgainer at all but simply someone that doesn't eat very much and/or much quality food. If you think you can prove us wrong by all means post an outline of your diet.
    i appreciate the advice but why do you automatically assume i am not a hardgainer? Im not sure how you came to that definitive conclusion based on just my proposed routine. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i appreciate the advice but why do you automatically assume i am not a hardgainer? Im not sure how you came to that definitive conclusion based on just my proposed routine.
    he did say "IF" which is a fair point. Given your routine sucked balls chances are you have never trained properly so have no idea yourself if you are a hardgainer or not.

And as the Choc said, diet is also key, hardgainers are usually simply not eating enough scran to support strength and thus size growth

ReputationRep:
    i appreciate the advice but why do you automatically assume i am not a hardgainer? Im not sure how you came to that definitive conclusion based on just my proposed routine. :confused:
    Because generally people just don't eat enough.

ReputationRep:
    he did say "IF" which is a fair point. Given your routine sucked balls chances are you have never trained properly so have no idea yourself if you are a hardgainer or not.

And as the Choc said, diet is also key, hardgainers are usually simply not eating enough scran to support strength and thus size growth
    i didnt say i have never trained properly just that i am relatively inexperienced (less than 6 months). im pretty sure i am a hardgainer and i defenitely have an ectomorph body type. tall and relatively skinny and have struggled to put on significant weight all my life.

appreciate the advice but my routine wasnt that bad was it? lots of compound exercises in there, bench press, squat, dead lift, shoulder press, dips..

but yeah i understand that maybe theres a little too much volume for a relatively inexperrienced lifter such as myself.

ReputationRep:
    i didnt say i have never trained properly just that i am relatively inexperienced (less than 6 months). im pretty sure i am a hardgainer and i defenitely have an ectomorph body type. tall and relatively skinny and have struggled to put on significant weight all my life.

appreciate the advice but my routine wasnt that bad was it? lots of compound exercises in there, bench press, squat, dead lift, shoulder press, dips..

but yeah i understand that maybe theres a little too much volume for a relatively inexperrienced lifter such as myself.
    The fact your asking this after stating this shows you ar elikely not to have trained properly - cut out the isolation crap and work on getting stronger and eat more, always more - garuntee you can gain weight!

Post up your diet and the boys will let you know on that front too

ReputationRep:
    The fact your asking this after stating this shows you ar elikely not to have trained properly - cut out the isolation crap and work on getting stronger and eat more, always more - garuntee you can gain weight!

Post up your diet and the boys will let you know on that front too
    my diet yesterday (non training day):
    porridge oats
    myprotein shake
    banana

3eggs two toast
    1 glass of whole milk
    1 apple

large portion of vegetables
    2 smoked mackerel fillets
    1 glass whole milk

can of baked beans
    myprotein shake
    1 glass whole milk
    salad with olive oil

handful of mixed nuts (75g)
    can of tuna and bowl of wholegrain rice

myprotein shake
    1 glass whole milk

ReputationRep:
    I assume that you're normal because the vast majority of people are normal - even those that claim to have fast or slow metabolisms. Why do they really struggle to gain and/or lose weight? Poor diet and/or exercise regime.

my diet yesterday (non training day):
    porridge oats
    myprotein shake
    banana

3eggs two toast
    1 glass of whole milk
    1 apple

large portion of vegetables
    2 smoked mackerel fillets
    1 glass whole milk

can of baked beans
    myprotein shake
    1 glass whole milk
    salad with olive oil

handful of mixed nuts (75g)
    can of tuna and bowl of wholegrain rice

myprotein shake
    1 glass whole milk
    There is a lot of good food there but there isn't any big boluses of carbs and/or fats to really increase your calorific intake. Also it depends on the quantities involved (ie; a pint of milk is a big difference to <half a pint), how active you are, etc. You may be a hardgainer, you may not, does it really matter either way? If you want to use it as an excuse, sure, if not, get eating and training.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    I assume that you're normal because the vast majority of people are normal - even those that claim to have fast or slow metabolisms. Why do they really struggle to gain and/or lose weight? Poor diet and/or exercise regime.

There is a lot of good food there but there isn't any big boluses of carbs and/or fats to really increase your calorific intake. Also it depends on the quantities involved (ie; a pint of milk is a big difference to <half a pint), how active you are, etc. You may be a hardgainer, you may not, does it really matter either way? If you want to use it as an excuse, sure, if not, get eating and training.
    no your right, it doesnt matter, its just your arrogant tone of voice compelled me to answer. use it as an excuse? wtf is with your attitude?

ReputationRep:
    Where are all the carbs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Where are all the carbs?
    porridge oats, large serving of wholegrain rice, wholegrain toast, baked beans,

ReputationRep:
    porridge oats, large serving of wholegrain rice, wholegrain toast, baked beans,
    I repeat, where are all the carbs?

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.