Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for Medicine this year for entry in 2011 as a mature applicant (I'll be 23 when/if I start). I'm going travelling throughout the summer fo I'm starting to put my PS together now so it's ready. Academically I think I'll be fine (providing I get my predicted degree grade)...however I'm struggling with things to add about hobbies and things I do in my spare time! Im a very social person but don't really have any conventional hobbies as such! ..and I'm a bit worried as I know I'll be competing with people who have the same or better grades with the addition of grade 8 violin, captain of the netball team etc.

So..things that I do:
    * Music is my passion - but unfortunately I dont play anything! But I do spend the majority of my free time going to gigs and festivals from local to all over Europe..I've also got involved with helping to organise local small festivals and done stewarding at big festivals etc. So I think that counts a bit?
    * Swimming/yoga/mountain biking - these activities I do about 5 days a week. I'm a very active person but I'm not part of any teams so I don't really know if it counts? It's just something I do for myself really..
    * Archaeological digs - my degree is Arch Science..I've been on digs all over England which involves a large degree of teamwork and I'd say considering its not a career I want to pursue it's more of a hobbie - the digs I've been on are optional it's not part of my degree program.

That's about it! What do you think? Is it enough to work with if properly worded and explained in my PS?

Also I have AAB A-levels which includes Chemistry but NOT Biology. I'm predicted a 1st class degree which means for most the unis I'm applying for I actually only needed BBB at A-level..however some that I do want to apply for (Hull-York) want Biology as well as Chem.

I've done a couple of things which I think demonstrate competence in Biology..but not sure:
    *My degree itself incorporates a lot of Biology - especially the theme of my dissertation
    *I've spent 10 weeks full time in a genetics laboratory learning techniques and analysis that incorporated quite a lot of molecular biology - at degree level - which I'd say far exceeds A-level Biology. I'm about to do another few months part time in the same lab.

Do you think it would be worth applying for the uni's that require Biology if I mention this in my PS? Or are they generally really firm about needing Biology A Level?

One last thing! Another uni I want to apply to (I think it's Manchester) requires GCSE grade B for English Lang, Maths and Science. Now I got a C in Maths!! However I did go to a school that was under special measures during my GCSE's, so I was thinking I could mention this as extenuating circumstances. My A-Levels and predicted degree class surely show I am capable of really good results? So Im hoping I wouldnt be penalized for a dodgy grade years ago!?

ReputationRep:
    Your extra-curriculars look fine. Mine only used up about 2 sentences of my PS, and I didn't have a whole degree to talk about.

ReputationRep:
    What's your degree in?

And it's quite early to write a PS.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, applying to a uni that specifies something you do not have is a waste of time. GEM is oversubscribed as it is, why would they waste time looking at an application that doesn't have what they want when they have hundreds others that do? I would never suggest someone who has been predicted a B in chem apply to a uni that specifies an A etc.

I think with biology its not so much the depth as the breadth of the stuff you learn, you need a good grounding in the "basics" rather than a huge amount of knowledge about one section. I personally would not risk it, they have enough applicants who will have or exceed their requirements, don't waste your time if you don't meet them. Focus on uni's that don't require it. But at the end of the day tis up to you if you want to risk it, but medicine is medicine no matter where you go. I'd rather just be on a medical course, rather than holding out for a particular uni.

In regards to hobbies, I don't know what they expect for GEM, but for the 5yr most people I know didn't have a huge number of hobbies. My PS had like one sentence. It was more focused on why you want to do it, work experience, volunteering. As a GEM applicant, you need more volunteering etc as you've had longer to obtain it, I'd focus on those things rather than try to ram it full of hobbies. Personally, I think what you have is fine, just say those things in a sentence or two and they can ask you more if they really want at interview.

I think if you can show you've applied maths in your degree, it would show you clearly have a handling of GCSE maths. But I really think you'd be better avoiding unis that you dont meet their requirements. But if you can show other ways you have maths knowledge such as statistics in dissertation then maybe that would make up for it, most of the maths you meet is a lot of statistics and understanding journal findings rather than algebra..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellx)
    my degree is Arch Science.
    (Original post by CMJBGBWC)
    What's your degree in?
    Good comprehension skills there, hotshot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Good comprehension skills there, hotshot.
    :o:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. Nice to hear not everyone has a lot to talk about about for that section...I just hear of so many applicants who play multiple musical instruments and members of multiple teams etc and freaked me out a bit! I've sent the uni's that I'm not sure about emails asking if they would consider my application under the circumstances..but I see what you mean. It's a bit risky when they will have plenty of applicants with the requirements.

Luckily I meet (and depending on my degree will hopefully exceed) my 1st choice uni's requirements. I know I should just be grateful to get on a medical degree course...however the thought of spending 4 or 5 years in a city I don't like...when I currently live in a city I love isnt very appealing, so obviously I want to try applying to uni's I wouldnt mind moving away to. But if all else fails I'll take what I can get!

I've got a year and half voluntary experience at my local hospice - be about 2 years by the time I apply so think I've got that covered at least! Also got the usual doctor shadowing exp.

I know it's a bit early to be writing a PS, but as I said I'm away all spring/summer so need to start putting it together now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellx)
    I know I should just be grateful to get on a medical degree course...however the thought of spending 4 or 5 years in a city I don't like...when I currently live in a city I love isnt very appealing, so obviously I want to try applying to uni's I wouldnt mind moving away to. But if all else fails I'll take what I can get!
    I know! No one wants to end up somewhere they hate, I was lucky I got the uni I loved in a city I love but if it been somewhere else I would have had to take it! I guess it depends on how bad you want medicine whether youre willing to live somewhere you may not like.

I really wouldn't worry too much about hobbies... although I'll never forget at my Sheffield interview when they asked me what instruments I played and I said none and they all laughed and were like "omg your the first person we've seen today who doesn't have a grade eight in something!". I was so mortified! But clearly it didn't matter as they let me in anyway :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellx)
    I'm applying for Medicine this year for entry in 2011 as a mature applicant (I'll be 23 when/if I start). I'm going travelling throughout the summer fo I'm starting to put my PS together now so it's ready. Academically I think I'll be fine (providing I get my predicted degree grade)...however I'm struggling with things to add about hobbies and things I do in my spare time! Im a very social person but don't really have any conventional hobbies as such! ..and I'm a bit worried as I know I'll be competing with people who have the same or better grades with the addition of grade 8 violin, captain of the netball team etc.

So..things that I do:
    * Music is my passion - but unfortunately I dont play anything! But I do spend the majority of my free time going to gigs and festivals from local to all over Europe..I've also got involved with helping to organise local small festivals and done stewarding at big festivals etc. So I think that counts a bit?
    * Swimming/yoga/mountain biking - these activities I do about 5 days a week. I'm a very active person but I'm not part of any teams so I don't really know if it counts? It's just something I do for myself really..
    * Archaeological digs - my degree is Arch Science..I've been on digs all over England which involves a large degree of teamwork and I'd say considering its not a career I want to pursue it's more of a hobbie - the digs I've been on are optional it's not part of my degree program.

That's about it! What do you think? Is it enough to work with if properly worded and explained in my PS?

Also I have AAB A-levels which includes Chemistry but NOT Biology. I'm predicted a 1st class degree which means for most the unis I'm applying for I actually only needed BBB at A-level..however some that I do want to apply for (Hull-York) want Biology as well as Chem.

I've done a couple of things which I think demonstrate competence in Biology..but not sure:
    *My degree itself incorporates a lot of Biology - especially the theme of my dissertation
    *I've spent 10 weeks full time in a genetics laboratory learning techniques and analysis that incorporated quite a lot of molecular biology - at degree level - which I'd say far exceeds A-level Biology. I'm about to do another few months part time in the same lab.

Do you think it would be worth applying for the uni's that require Biology if I mention this in my PS? Or are they generally really firm about needing Biology A Level?

One last thing! Another uni I want to apply to (I think it's Manchester) requires GCSE grade B for English Lang, Maths and Science. Now I got a C in Maths!! However I did go to a school that was under special measures during my GCSE's, so I was thinking I could mention this as extenuating circumstances. My A-Levels and predicted degree class surely show I am capable of really good results? So Im hoping I wouldnt be penalized for a dodgy grade years ago!?
    Your extra curriculars are fine

As for the need for bio at hull york i'd say your best bet is to phone up nd ask, although they might be a little friendlier if you wait until after march when they're not bogged down with applications lol. Same with the c in maths gcse, although you could also retake that, a post-grad applicant that was in my manchester interview group yesterday was retaking her english gcse to get in. But DON'T just apply and hope, ring them and find out

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.