Turn on thread page Beta

how to quit daydreaming? watch

It's a big problem for me. I waste so much time. The daydreaming is about all sorts of things and a daydream can last far too long. I can't listen to a song I like...can't even have it playing in the background while I get on with something else, without going off into a really detailed daydream of me performing the song. This completely takes my attention off what I'm trying to do. Even without music, I find something else to daydream about which takes all my focus. It's looking unlikely that I'll manage the bare minimum I have to do (get the grades I need in my exams).

I have all these ideas for things I want to do, but I have no focus to do anything. I feel really spaced out a lot of the time. I don't take drugs.

Have you had a daydreaming problem? How did you deal with it?

I doubt even that would work!

(Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    Everytime you day dream lock yourself in a dark room with chains and deprive yourself of water for 2 days. That'll teach you to day dream again
    :lol:

OP, I'd suggest reading a book, without daydreaming in between :p: Apparently reading improves concentration

I'll try the reading a book thing. I do read books, but the daydreaming gets in the way.
    I guess if I could block everything else out when I read...

ReputationRep:
    I have the same exact problem.

I struggle to concentrate on anything.

God damn you procrastination!

any other suggestions welcome

ReputationRep:
    I got told by a councellor to write down my thoughts for exactly 10 minutes each day - it helps you focus your thoughts. Apparently your concentration should start improving within a week, but I forgot to do it after the first day so I don't actually know if it works...

(Original post by Anonymous)
    It's a big problem for me. I waste so much time. The daydreaming is about all sorts of things and a daydream can last far too long. I can't listen to a song I like...can't even have it playing in the background while I get on with something else, without going off into a really detailed daydream of me performing the song. This completely takes my attention off what I'm trying to do. Even without music, I find something else to daydream about which takes all my focus. It's looking unlikely that I'll manage the bare minimum I have to do (get the grades I need in my exams).

I have all these ideas for things I want to do, but I have no focus to do anything. I feel really spaced out a lot of the time. I don't take drugs.

Have you had a daydreaming problem? How did you deal with it?
    Everytime you daydream and you realise you're daydreaming tell yourself to stop, then count to five before carrying on with whatever you need to do.

(Original post by superwolf)
    I got told by a councellor to write down my thoughts for exactly 10 minutes each day - it helps you focus your thoughts. Apparently your concentration should start improving within a week, but I forgot to do it after the first day so I don't actually know if it works...

I know it works as I make a what-to-do-plan on busy days.
    That is, what I would suggest the OP to do - make a what-to-do-plan every morning and fulfill that. Anyway, daydreaming is not too bad, unless you waste too much time. However, if you are really cannot concentrate on anything and loose the path through your thoughts you should consider to see a psychiatrist, because you might suffer from cyclothymia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SomeStudent)
    :lol:

OP, I'd suggest reading a book, without daydreaming in between :p: Apparently reading improves concentration
    Interesting. :holmes:

Never heard that one before.

ReputationRep:
    I daydream alot. I find myself watching tv but not actually concentrating alot and then like one of my friends will start laughing at the movie or whatever and I don't know whats funny coz ive not been listening. It's annoying. When I find myself daydreaming though I try to stop and concentrate.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the matrix my friend...

On a serious note I do understand that it can be frustrating being locked into day dreams and poor concentration all day, I used to be terrible with it. I'd literally waste days at time, now it's not so bad as I've gotten older. You could possibly have a chat with your GP if it's affecting your work that badly though to the point where you are worrying about grades. The thing that I found which helped me was Sudoku, by just sticking at it my concentration has improved slightly but obviously everyone is different and you'd need to find your own thing which helps to focus you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.