Turn on thread page Beta

Best mens brands? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking to branch out a bit.

At the mo, other than H&M, ASOS and Topman, most of my Clothes are either quicksilver, or Superdry. What are some other good brands? I'm looking for slim fit t-shirts in particular.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine your budget is standard high street, American Apparel do slim fitting stuff

Gimme an example of an outfit you'd wear, preferably with pics and I'll tell you where to shop

ReputationRep:
    My friend just showed me this site which has slim fitting clothes, looks quite good. http://www.yesstyle.com/en/home.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    I imagine your budget is standard high street, American Apparel do slim fitting stuff

Gimme an example of an outfit you'd wear, preferably with pics and I'll tell you where to shop
    Well, just generally t-shirt and jeans, hoodies, cardigans, jumpers, I pretty much wear anything. As I said very much H&M and Topshop.

For example Yesterday I wore Navy Blue cardigan, white t-shirt, and dark jeans with white plimsoles.

today I wore, a Bright blue t-shirt, with a plain black jumper, a dark grey hoodie, jeans, and plimsoles again.

Any suggestions, link etc you can make would be great. Rep will be given

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, American Apparel 100%

It's got everything you want and it's essentially amazing. Just search around on their online store. ACNE and APC are more expensive but also worth a look.

ReputationRep:
    Gsterraw

ReputationRep:
    I don't really wear many t-shirts, but what ones I do own came from Urban Outfitters. I think they are fairly decent.

Labels like APC, Acne, and Uniqlo are always good bets, although I'm not overly familiar with their t-shirts specifically. Diesel is a bit hit-and-miss, but I like it as well.

ReputationRep:
    Ralph lauren large pony for T-shirts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max Hinks)
    I'm looking to branch out a bit.

At the mo, other than H&M, ASOS and Topman, most of my Clothes are either quicksilver, or Superdry. What are some other good brands? I'm looking for slim fit t-shirts in particular.
    Try Reiss and Ted Baker, they're more expensive than Topman and H&M but well worth it (they also have great summer and winter sales).

But American Apparel is probably the best place for basics.

ReputationRep:
    It depends. The North Face Jackets like the Nupste and Triclimate are great throughtout the winter.
    For boots I go for the 6" Timberland boots. Asics or Mizuno for Trainers. Adidas Originals for classic trainers.
    I wear fairly baggy Jeans and Combats. I'm wearing Timberland ones that I got in the sales.
    I think that M&S and John Lewis (own label) have loads of good quality shirts, T-shirts and Polos. I do like Gant mercerised cotton polos too. Lyle & Scott like Ben Sherman before it is worn by too many chavs. GAP is OK.
    Trust me Topman and Burtons suck in the low end. And Abercrombie and Jack Wills are for tools for think they're cool just because their wearing something with a massive logo/slogan on it. Just like with French Connection. If money is really tight then George is fine - much better than Primark.
    All I can say is wear stuff that you really like and which suits you not stuff that you see others wearing. That makes you one of the Sheeple. Also the key things are the design and the quality of fabric. The label is irrelevant. Also go for stuff you will love in the future as much as the day you bought it. The best advice I can give is never buy anything on the spur of the moment. Always sleep on it. If you still want it as much after a few days then go back and get it. Impulse buying results in alot of mistakes no matter who you are.

ReputationRep:
    I get like all my tops from GAP. I just wear white/black polos/vnecks.
    No need to spend £60 on a Ralph Lauren one when I'll look just as good as one costing £8 :cool:

For proper style though I usually do my shopping around armani/boss/TB/PaulSmith

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    I get like all my tops from GAP. I just wear white/black polos/vnecks.
    No need to spend £60 on a Ralph Lauren one when I'll look just as good as one costing £8 :cool:

For proper style though I usually do my shopping around armani/boss/TB/PaulSmith
    Haha, stop pretending to be a fashion king. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by josh_a_y)
    Haha, stop pretending to be a fashion king. :rolleyes:
    Lol yea because there's any difference in a plain polo from GAP than D&G
    God you're a tool that just buys things for the label and the fact you have the audacity to call me out is hilarious.

So get ****** you self-righteous fool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)

American Apparel, how long are we talking? Just read something about them being long. I'm 5.8' maybe 5'9, small gonna be fine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    Lol yea because there's any difference in a plain polo from GAP than D&G
    God you're a tool that just buys things for the label and the fact you have the audacity to call me out is hilarious.

So get ****** you self-righteous fool.
    Kiss my ass loser, you look ridiculous.

& I dont buy things for the label, I just thought the market for GAP was aimed at 1-10 year olds or 40 year old geek virgins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max Hinks)
    American Apparel, how long are we talking? Just read something about them being long. I'm 5.8' maybe 5'9, small gonna be fine?
    I'm 5ft 10 so there's not gonna be much of a difference in our sizes and there smalls fit me perfectly, they do xs too

All saints do XS, but their clothes aren't for everyone, have a look in urban outfitters though their stores in the UK suck compared to the US, and also try Zara, Zara is great

ReputationRep:
    Lyle and Scott, G-Star Raw (My personal Fav), Jack Jones, Diesel, etc

ReputationRep:
    Superdry, Hollister, Levis, Lyle and Scott, Diesel, Reiss, All Saints, Abercrombie, CK, Cali Surf, UCLA, Franklin and Marshall e.t.c.

ReputationRep:

Lyle and Scott

:nah:

ReputationRep:
    My advice is to ignore the brand and look at the label - the one inside the garment that tells you what it is made of, where it is made and the washing instructions.

I was wandering around in town today and am continually astonished that people (of all ages) will pay high prices for explicitly branded items that are of poor quality.

Yes, Versace and co make some beautiful and excellent items of clothing but they also make some very tacky stuff too. On a recent suit hunt got talking to lots of shop assistants in Central London who had been in the trade for some time and once we'd got through the sales pitch stuff ( "You want to have a look at these to see what's going to be "in" this season"/ "Hang on - who decides what's in and what's not? My style works for me, not the other way around/" sort of thing.)

For the OP, have a look at http://www.yoox.com/men/home/gender/...CE7A2/dept/men and the list of designers that are listed. Then, when you're out and about, go for the designs and the items that best suits your style. Next time you're in a menswear shop that sells stuff made by different brands, speak to one of the people working there, tell them you're not interested at all in labels but are interested in stuff that:
    - is made of a good quality material
    - is well made so as to justify its price
    - is one that will enhance your style (rather than the company's bank balance)

Also, ask them for their opinions on which are the brands where you are paying for the quality of the garment and which are the ones that you are paying for the designer brand. Interested to know what they say.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.