Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing psychology PSYA3 AQA on friday.

Does anybody have any practise questions based on sexual selection.. or generally anything about the evolutionary explanations of relatoinships.
    this is seriously my weakest point and Im SCARED!

Thank youuu!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aleexx04)

Does anybody have any practise questions based on sexual selection.. or generally anything about the evolutionary explanations of relatoinships.

Thank youuu!
    erm i didnt really bother revising that as its such a small and unlikely topic.

maybe look up Fischer 1930 runaway hypothesis ( aka sexy sons hypothesis) and to counter that Look at Zahavi's Handicap Hypothesis.

In a nutshell they contradict each other, Fischer, sexual selection=exaggerating feature through reproduction while zahavi states that this feature is actually a handicap but agrees that it is purposefully handed down because it shows that, despite the feature, the species has survived indicating other healthy genes. then use a peacock and its feathers as basic proof of both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aleexx04)

Thank youuu!
    Critically evaluate the relationship between sexual selection and reproductive behaviour (25)

Outline and evaluate evolutionary explanations of parental investment (e.g. sex differences, parent-offspring conflict)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thompsonbassman)
    Critically evaluate the relationship between sexual selection and reproductive behaviour (25)

Outline and evaluate evolutionary explanations of parental investment (e.g. sex differences, parent-offspring conflict)
    what studies would you include for the first one and what studies cabn you use to support parental conflict?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by az1992)
    what studies would you include for the first one and what studies cabn you use to support parental conflict?
    For the first one I'd talk about Buss (1989) and Dunbar (2005), if you aren't familiar with these just ask me and I'll go through them with you.

Also, I haven't taken the time to look over parent-offspring conflict because it's not on the spec, they say 'for example POC' so you don't have to learn it.

I just explain different strategies of PI using sex differences (like women invest more because of parental certainty, anisogamy, gestation and lactation periods etc)

ReputationRep:
    For the first one I'd talk about Buss (1989) and Dunbar (2005), if you aren't familiar with these just ask me and I'll go through them with you.

Also, I haven't taken the time to look over parent-offspring conflict because it's not on the spec, they say 'for example POC' so you don't have to learn it.

I just explain different strategies of PI using sex differences (like women invest more because of parental certainty, anisogamy, gestation and lactation periods etc)
    oh i know about buss 1989 mate preference and all that but if you could explain dunbar 1995 id be gratefull thanks

ReputationRep:

oh i know about buss 1989 mate preference and all that but if you could explain dunbar 1995 id be gratefull thanks

ReputationRep:
    Is Dunbar the one where they did a study looking at personal ads in newspapers and then decided that males liked certain characteristics and females like other characteristics?

Or am I mistaken?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Finbar21)
    Is Dunbar the one where they did a study looking at personal ads in newspapers and then decided that males liked certain characteristics and females like other characteristics?

Or am I mistaken?
    That's the one.

Dunbar (1995) studied lonely hearts ads from India, UK, US and the Netherlands and found that males offered resources and looked for physical attractiveness whilst females offered physical attractiveness and looked for resources.

It's basically research support for Buss and the evolutionary theory, you can also use these studies for relationships in different cultures.

ReputationRep:
    That's the one.

Dunbar (1995) studied lonely hearts ads from India, UK, US and the Netherlands and found that males offered resources and looked for physical attractiveness whilst females offered physical attractiveness and looked for resources.

It's basically research support for Buss and the evolutionary theory, you can also use these studies for relationships in different cultures.
    legend thank you

you would happen to be able to sort me out with any info on evolutionary explanations for eating behavior would you?

ReputationRep:
    legend thank you

you would happen to be able to sort me out with any info on evolutionary explanations for eating behavior would you?
    If i can have a good essay/essay plan on Influence of Childhood/Adolescent Experiences on Adult Relationships inc. Parent/child relationships and interactions with peers

I can give you my notes for what u asked...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimz08)
    If i can have a good essay/essay plan on Influence of Childhood/Adolescent Experiences on Adult Relationships inc. Parent/child relationships and interactions with peers

hmm I dont actually do essay plans, all I do is flash cards.

All I know about that topic anyway is Bowlbys Internal Working Model 1982 says that we have a window of attachment that if not satisfied, will result in disorders later such as social dysfunction. Also he said that our caregivers provided us with internal working models of relationships for later in life.

Psycho-sexual stages said that in the phallic stage we are unaware of bad parenting and will repeat what we see our parents do. ie if someone lives in a violent household, they will grow up to settle disputes in relationships with violence. Also, Remnants of the Oedipal Complex (We look for a partner who is nurturing, caring and provides unconditional love) while women experience the need to be cherished
    and loved as a result of the Elecktra Complex. Side note: if a girl associated with her Dad more in the Phallic Stage, she will show symptoms of being a "Tom Boy" and require a less fatherly partner.

Maybe compare these with Hazen and Shaver 1987 who put an article in a magazine describing Mary Ainsworth's attachment types. They asked readers to pick which one they believed they were as a child and describe their adult relationships.

-Securely Attached Infants grew up to have healthy relationships.

-Insecure Avoidant grew up distrustful

-Insecure Resistant grew up anxious and unable to get close to anyone

This study relied of self report and it is quite possible that the questionees reported behavior influenced on what they though they was like as a child as opposed to what they were really like.

However all of these theories deny the existence of freewill in choosing adult relationships and that all our adult behavior is predetermined. This means also that they believe adult relationships are determined by nurture (the environment around us) as opposed to being born withn innate relationship behaviors.

All ignore any biological factors in influencing later behavior and all theories could be ecologically invalid as

ReputationRep:
    legend thank you

No worries mate, I don't study eating behaviours though so I'm sorry dude!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aimz08)

Oi what gives, I helped you so wheres my help ?!

No worries mate, I don't study eating behaviours though so I'm sorry dude!
    oh dw about it then, you feeling confident?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty confident yeah, hopefully we'll get some questions where there is loads to write about like sexual selection but really I'm not bothered, I seem to be coping with everything just about. It's just writing it all down in half an hour that's gonna be a *******! :yep:

How are you feeling about it?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty confident yeah, hopefully we'll get some questions where there is loads to write about like sexual selection but really I'm not bothered, I seem to be coping with everything just about. It's just writing it all down in half an hour that's gonna be a *******! :yep:

How are you feeling about it?
    ha, well i was bricking it before because, although I understood all the main theories and concepts, I didnt know many supporting and criticizing studies but now I Know atleast 2 for each small topic. Now its just a question of knowing whats relevant and as you said keeping to the time frame.

Did A practice one today and only just kept inside the 1 and 1/2 hours with unreadable handwriting lol.

What grade are you aiming for?

ReputationRep:
    ha, well i was bricking it before because, although I understood all the main theories and concepts, I didnt know many supporting and criticizing studies but now I Know atleast 2 for each small topic. Now its just a question of knowing whats relevant and as you said keeping to the time frame.

Did A practice one today and only just kept inside the 1 and 1/2 hours with unreadable handwriting lol.

What grade are you aiming for?
    Unfortunately I'm aiming for an A so i've been revising for a few weeks now, though I'm glad I have been because there is so damn much to remember!

What about you dude?

ReputationRep:
    Oi what gives, I helped you so wheres my help ?!

So sorry I went off tsr just came back sending it to you in pm now. Hope its not too late

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.