Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    From what I can gather, this idea was introduced by the conservative party.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ja...t-1501509.html

Do you think it's the right way to deal with the problem and is there anything wrong with this plan?

ReputationRep:
    Problems with the idea:

- Having to station staff at sea for lengthy periods of time, almost totally cut off from the mainland.
    - Ridiculous initial expense to get the system up and running
    - Where do we actually keep these prisons?

ReputationRep:
    Sea-sickness?

Also, what would happen if the prisoners suddenly took over the prison? They could just sail their way to freedom.

ReputationRep:
    Easier to sink than conventional land prisons...

...muhahahahahahahahaha...

ReputationRep:
    Prison ships are a good idea in theory, but physical isolation from the mainland will inevitably breed some breakdowns in discipline in prison staff. I imagine some of the harsher prison governors might take it as carte blanche to run their prisons inhumanely.

Also, land prisons can't sink.

IMHO we should just set up a penal colony on some moon somewhere and dump all dangerous prisoners there. Yay for dystopia!

ReputationRep:
    Why not have an EU policy of designating an island as a prison? Similar to what was done to Australia in the past. All EU member send their prisnors to an island where they are made to do manual labour. It'll save land.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    Problems with the idea:

- Having to station staff at sea for lengthy periods of time, almost totally cut off from the mainland.
    These have been used before (I don't know if there are any currently open at the moment, but I know someone who worked on one).

Just one point; the ship would most likely be moored, not cut off from the mainland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casse)
    Why not have an EU policy of designating an island as a prison? Similar to what was done to Australia in the past. All EU member send their prisnors to an island where they are made to do manual labour. It'll save land.
    All prisoners in the EU on a single island?

Pretty sure that Europe doesn't have any single island large enough to do that that isn't already home to a substantial community.

ReputationRep:
    The idea is nothing new, for many years ships were used as prisons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    These have been used before (I don't know if there are any currently open at the moment, but I know someone who worked on one).

Just one point; the ship would most likely be moored, not cut off from the mainland.
    My dad helped with construction work on the floating prison at Poole before it was opened. No idea if it's still open or not though.

ReputationRep:
    My dad helped with construction work on the floating prison at Poole before it was opened. No idea if it's still open or not though.
    I demand your father build Azkaban.

ReputationRep:
    HEATHER MILLS, Home Affairs Correspondent

That woman tries to get in everywhere...

ReputationRep:
    There's a good reason why the old prison ships were decommissioned - they were just appallingly unsanitary places that were all falling apart by the very nature that they're old ships. If we built ships specifically to use as prisons, it would cost a fortune.

(Original post by Casse)
    What exactly do you propose doing when the tens of thousands of prisoners all in one place overpower their guards, form their own society and declare independence. You'd end up with a nation of convicts. Which, by the way, is almost exactly what happened with Australia really. We wouldn't really want that in the middle of the Med though. Plus, what island could possibly be used? Every sizable island Europe is inhabited as far as I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Nebula)
    I demand your father build Azkaban.
    I'll run that by him and get back to you.

ReputationRep:
    I think that might be the one I'm thinking about, though I'm not too sure. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    What exactly do you propose doing when the tens of thousands of prisoners all in one place overpower their guards, form their own society and declare independence. You'd end up with a nation of convicts. Which, by the way, is almost exactly what happened with Australia really. We wouldn't really want that in the middle of the Med though. Plus, what island could possibly be used? Every sizable island Europe is inhabited as far as I know.
    It was just an idea assuming there was an island somewhere we can use.

But it is achievable. Surround an island with a fence which no one can climb over or get through. Entry is by helicoptor only. Surround the island with mines, automatic weapons and drones so anyone trying to escape or get in through sea is basically dead. Therefore they are stuck and cannot get independance as you suggest.

Also I assume the amount of people required to look after this island is far less than having sepreate prisons.

Far-fetched idea but I think it can be pulled off if the effort is there.

ReputationRep:
    Prison ships are a well established thing that have been used for decades, if not hundreds of years.

ReputationRep:
    Problems with the idea:

No they're not cut off from the mainland; they're moored in a port.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    Plus, what island could possibly be used? Every sizable island Europe is inhabited as far as I know.
    Indeed - I've just done some calculations based on Home Office estimates of prison populations and there are more than 600,000 prisoners in the EU.

We can't do the old trick of "stick em on an island" - far too many.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    All prisoners in the EU on a single island?

Pretty sure that Europe doesn't have any single island large enough to do that that isn't already home to a substantial community.
    Britain is a island

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.