Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerrninja)
    Britain is a island
    I wouldn't be a very good geography student if I didn't know that.

However, I think the 60 million people who already live here might have something to say about evacuating it just to give it up to 600,000 pan-European convicts.

ReputationRep:
    As in something like http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/3976271.stm ? If it's cost effective then I don't see why not, although if there are problems you are kind of stuck :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Could always buy one of the islands off the coast of africa and just dump them there to die (Life prisoners only obviously or better still just adopt the death penatly with a FAIR trial system but only like 1 appeal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    I wouldn't be a very good geography student if I didn't know that.

However, I think the 60 million people who already live here might have something to say about evacuating it just to give it up to 600,000 pan-European convicts.
    Meh, evacuate the Highlands of Scotland, ring fence it and put em all there to slowly level the 5 sisters in hard labour. No one lives there anyway!

Ok in all seriousness, prison ships are a brilliant idea. There are so many old cruise ships going to scrap at the moment which are only about 15 years old. These ships have modern facilities on board, are sanitary, and could quite easily be converted quite cheaply into prison ships. It has been done before and could easily be done again.

You could put in excess of 5000 prisoners on a modern converted cruise ship, easily. They are huge, I should know, I work on them!

But yeh, its a good idea for the most dangerous of criminals and will cut down on overcrowding which is good for the QoL of prisoners.

So I can't really see the problem. Especially if they are anchored up in a river estuary!

I'd get sea sick.

ReputationRep:
    We should turn prisons into power plants. Where prisoners have to manually turn turbines as their punishment. Yeah!

ReputationRep:
    Hire Alcatraz.

ReputationRep:
    Snakes on a plane?

ReputationRep:
    If anyone's seen the film "FACE/OFF" with Travolta, Cage, etc...they imprison inmates on a huge impenetrable oil rig miles out at sea (im fully aware Cage swims to safety, but in reality he'd drown once escaped lol) and keep them under close watch and tight surveillance. This would be far better than a ship, as someone rightly pointed out, if the prisoners took over, they could drive off...but an oil rig cannot move.
    WOOF.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, 600,000 prisions, lets say we be nice and give everyone a 2 x 2 x 2 cell, building say, 50 stories high of cells this big, we'd only need a relatively small island to manage it. Infact, assuming you need 1m wide corridor between two cells, so it'd be 100 cells per 10sq metres of land(5 long by 2 wide), we only need 60000 sq metres of land. This is only say 300m by 200m, or LESS THAN 10 FOOTBALL PITCHES. Can't be that hard to find an island that would fit this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rubgish)
    Hmm, 600,000 prisions, lets say we be nice and give everyone a 2 x 2 x 2 cell, building say, 50 stories high of cells this big, we'd only need a relatively small island to manage it. Infact, assuming you need 1m wide corridor between two cells, so it'd be 100 cells per 10sq metres of land(5 long by 2 wide), we only need 60000 sq metres of land. This is only say 300m by 200m, or LESS THAN 10 FOOTBALL PITCHES. Can't be that hard to find an island that would fit this
    Now that's dedication.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by micky022)
    Now that's dedication.
    It was that or physics, I know which is more appealing right now. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LosNelski90)
    If anyone's seen the film "FACE/OFF" with Travolta, Cage, etc...they imprison inmates on a huge impenetrable oil rig miles out at sea (im fully aware Cage swims to safety, but in reality he'd drown once escaped lol) and keep them under close watch and tight surveillance. This would be far better than a ship, as someone rightly pointed out, if the prisoners took over, they could drive off...but an oil rig cannot move.
    WOOF.
    its not quite as simple starting a ships engine as turning the key and it starts. Especially at anchor. Besides you would just drain the fuel tanks...

ReputationRep:
    its not quite as simple starting a ships engine as turning the key and it starts. Especially at anchor. Besides you would just drain the fuel tanks...
    Damn, im with some Somalian Pirates right now and we really thought it would be that simple...FML.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, im with some Somalian Pirates right now and we really thought it would be that simple...FML.

how do you start a ships engine then smart arse?

ReputationRep:
    prelube engine, open petcocks and blow down engine, close petcocks, set fuel rack and start engine...

Trying to explain it to these pirates is a tad more difficult, they were thinking it would be a Pirates of the Carribean Galleon-style jobby...FML

ReputationRep:
    It's be expensive with fuel and such. The staff probably wouldn't be that keen on living at work. The prisoners wouldn't be able to have visitors..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Prison ships are a good idea in theory, but physical isolation from the mainland will inevitably breed some breakdowns in discipline in prison staff. I imagine some of the harsher prison governors might take it as carte blanche to run their prisons inhumanely.

Also, land prisons can't sink.

IMHO we should just set up a penal colony on some moon somewhere and dump all dangerous prisoners there. Yay for dystopia!
    Quite interesting that your the only one that considered that. Building Prisons at sea is almost as bad as secret prisons imo. To all the people that consider throwing all prisoners to an island and fencing them in without supervision present there, what about human rights, I know most of the prisoners are despicable but you don't expect the prisoners to all get along do you? there will be murder and rape every single day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    It's be expensive with fuel and such. The staff probably wouldn't be that keen on living at work. The prisoners wouldn't be able to have visitors..
    The prisons don't sail anywhere, no fuel is used. They're just moored up in docks and harbours.

ReputationRep:
    prelube engine, open petcocks and blow down engine, close petcocks, set fuel rack and start engine...

Trying to explain it to these pirates is a tad more difficult, they were thinking it would be a Pirates of the Carribean Galleon-style jobby...FML
    lol,

what about your ancillaries, fuel heating, purifiers, compressed air system, fuel pumps, lub oil temperature, HT and LT at correct temps and pressures. Etc etc.

If the ship was cold ironed and at anchor, it would take over 24 hours to start a proper ship engine, if you managed to start the emergency generator, which if the fuel tanks were dry, then you would have major difficulty in doing so.

I think it is safe to say that the ship could not just upsticks and go...

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.