Turn on thread page Beta

Prisons on a ship? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    how about prisons in water? tie a brick to their legs, drop them in, problem solved

ReputationRep:
    The title reminds me of 'Snakes on a Plane', an equally stupid idea.

ReputationRep:
    there will be murder...every single day.
    To be honest, looking today at the papers whilst travelling on the tube to uni, i saw some rather sickening columns that made me wonder whether murder would do the world some good for vagabonds, rapists and serial killers?

Sod prison ships, execute some of the ones guilty beyond belief as a message to potential murders/ paedophiles/ rapists that our judicial system isn't a body of weaklings and nancy-boys...(which our current judicial system is! Ian Huntley murdered two lovely, innocent schoolgirls and they're talking about a possible identity change for him upon release...HE SHOULD BE HANGED!!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    The prisons don't sail anywhere, no fuel is used. They're just moored up in docks and harbours.

Oh.. then what's the point in them being on a ship?

ReputationRep:
    Great, that means we can send them all over to Australia by boat, just like the good old days.

ReputationRep:
    Solution 1 - Bring all the Falkland islanders to the UK, send all the prisoners down there and then invite Argentina to invade again. Let them deal with it.
    Solution 2 - Start sending them to Australia again. The first time we did it, we inadvertently created a very nice country.
    Solution 3 - Build more prisons.

ReputationRep:
    Why not just put all life prisoners on decommissioned supertankers, no guards, no guns, just on big dumping ground. Eventually some sort of ...cracy would emerge.

ReputationRep:

I post this picture of the old prison ship to show people that they are moored. A prison ship isn't just going to sail aimlessly around the world consuming fuel for no positive gain.

Putting prisoners on an island is a better idea. We must have a few spare islands hanging about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    All prisoners in the EU on a single island?

Pretty sure that Europe doesn't have any single island large enough to do that that isn't already home to a substantial community.
    If this was to happen, take a guess as to which island would be the right size...

ReputationRep:
    Is this a sequel to snakes on a plane?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casse)
    It was just an idea assuming there was an island somewhere we can use.

But it is achievable. Surround an island with a fence which no one can climb over or get through. Entry is by helicoptor only. Surround the island with mines, automatic weapons and drones so anyone trying to escape or get in through sea is basically dead. Therefore they are stuck and cannot get independance as you suggest.

Also I assume the amount of people required to look after this island is far less than having sepreate prisons.

Far-fetched idea but I think it can be pulled off if the effort is there.
    Have you been watching too much Escape From New York?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    Oh.. then what's the point in them being on a ship?
    You're not tied down with planning laws for a start, building new prisons can be a difficult process. Local objections can delay and even prevent them going ahead. For instance in Peterborough where I live it took them 8 years from originally planning the prison to actually getting round to building it because local people & councillors kept objecting to the proposals, and land owners refused to sell up.

With prison ships you don't have the worry of trying to acquire land and having to resort to compulsory purchase orders. You just rent the mooring space instead. You can probably establish prison ships in a fraction of the time and costs it takes to build a regular prison.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why the prisons shouldn't be overcrowded. It's prison, a punishment, not some vip holiday for free.

ReputationRep:
    If a prison is overcrowded to the extent it causes security issues, I fail to understand why we don't build tented camps like Sherrif Joe in the states, until more prisons are built. Overcrowding is not a good enough reason to let prisoners out early from their sentences. As for prison ships, my concern would be hyigene and security, in that you have them in a confined space,where does all the pee and poo go?

I hate to think of our waters being polluted by them. I like the idea of cons being surrounded by water though, and have often thought one way to deal with the paedo muslim extremist problem and illegal immigrant problem is to place them on remote islands that surround the UK and build remote settlements and labour camps.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.