Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    people this will happen if you go out in late night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mad m05)
    Are you actually an idiot. Croydon is the biggest borough in the whole of London. It is pretty much the commercial centre of south london with excellent transport links and its shopping centre is unrivalled. You mean to say that Croydon aint in London when you can get a train into Victoria in 15 mins you absolute eejit. Do you know why you have never been to Croydon. Its cos you live in the hellhole that is North London. I've never been to Barnet but I never deny that its part of London.

n19 skeeeeeen:rolleyes:

Largest Borough by population - not something to boast about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    When I studied American politics last year, all the information we had was telling us that America was actually home to a higher crime rate, particularly for more violent crimes.

I'm from Lewisham originally though, and I've never had a problem, nor has anyone else I know from there. I think the general rule is that you're fine everywhere, unless you act like an idiot.

Heyy I was from Lewisham originally too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam G Manning)
    Avoid everywhere in London.
    You will get stabbed

I'm being stabbed right now.
    Gutted...literally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    Can you define acting like an idiot? Everyone acts a bit douchey sometimes when drunk :o: .
    Well that doesn't help. But if it's late at night, and you're walking home, obviously listening to your very expensive MP3/iPod, or calling someone on your phone, and not paying any attention, I'd say that would constitute idiot behaviour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kookie_4)
    WEMBLEY!????...Try Harlesden
    I saw a stabbing there loool, Harlesden is pretty rough. @OP just avoid all the estates in London and you'll be fine. I have managed to survive in south acton now for 6 months, anything is possible. Channel four are always here though:mad: and there is a cop parked round every building.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't imagine it's any worse than other big cities. Places you avoid and just don't get in the way of the wrong people.

I would't go into certain parts of belfast at night but then again I wouldn't go into some of the local estates near me for a wee walk at night. Though I have seen the maps showing personal in the forces where they are allowed to go and more importantly where they are not allowed when off duty when in Northern Ireland. That was a bit of a slap in the face. Along with the lists of taxi companies they are allowed to use. Black taxis can be iffy apparently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Yeah, avoid the whole of Croydon, it's not exactly big or anything... :rolleyes:

And Mile End is fine ffs, and Bow... seriously someone needs to do their homework.

I'm sitting in Mile End right now.
    ****, I'll call the police, we'll get you out of there brother! Stay strong!

ReputationRep:
    I have been to the following places without being stabbed/abused/robbed:

Lewisham
    Peckham
    Bow/Mile End
    Hackney
    Wembley
    Croydon

Do I get a medal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeester)
    ****, I'll call the police, we'll get you out of there brother! Stay strong!
    It's too late my friend, I'm 'done' with him...

ReputationRep:
    I got to Croydon/ London a lot late at night and have never had any trouble. Just don't be stupid, stick with friends and don't listen to your mp3/ talk on your phone/ flash your cash or anything.
    There was this one time when I saw a guy on the floor being attacked by some chavs with big dogs though, and quite a few fights but they're usually just drunken brawls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimeDivided09)
    Just watched a show called Adulthood and I was shocked at how violent some punks are in the UK. They also looked ethnic too. Where are some of your immigrants from? Here in the States our gangs are largely Mexican, African American and Asian. It just looked strange to me that London could be so dangerous in certain sectors. I hope it was just exaggerated for TV.

If I were to ever visit London, what are some places that I should I just totally avoid?
    well it's less dangerous than glasgow, which is officially the UK's most dangerous city in terms of violent crime

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manthew)
    It's too late my friend, I'm 'done' with him...
    You people are monsters. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LosNelski90)
    If you're from the States, then the gang violence here is nothing compared to the likes of the Brotherhood, Crips/Bloods, Mexican Cartels etc etc...
    However, some areas can get pretty tasty at night so here's the ones you need to avoid if you hope to still have your wallet and phone at the end of a hard day at uni...

1. South London: CROYDON/BRIXTON/ROTHERHITHE
    2. West London: HAYES END/WHITE CITY/WEMBLEY
    3. East London: HACKNEY/ILFORD/MILE END/ BOW
    4. North London: TOTTENHAM/EDMONTON/BARNET
    Barnet? You do realise that is the suburbs right?

Despite living there for a while never had an issue in Mile End or Bow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mad m05)
    Are you actually an idiot. Croydon is the biggest borough in the whole of London. It is pretty much the commercial centre of south london with excellent transport links and its shopping centre is unrivalled. You mean to say that Croydon aint in London when you can get a train into Victoria in 15 mins you absolute eejit. Do you know why you have never been to Croydon. Its cos you live in the hellhole that is North London. I've never been to Barnet but I never deny that its part of London.

n19 skeeeeeen:rolleyes:
    Every knows North is better than South. Even people from the South. Look at what proportion of the tube network is North of the river http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf

Also, it's definitely not the biggest borough http://www.statistics.gov.uk/geograp...ondon_boro.pdf

Also, all of the crappest boroughs are biggest cos they're on the outskirts so there's room for them to sprawl out in a big pile of nothing, i.e. Croydon, Barnet, Enfield, Bromley etc. Technically they're in London... but they're not really London cos they're not inner London are they? No-one thinks "I wanna go to London... I know, I'll go to Croydon!".

Also, you can get a train to Cambridge in an hour, so what? Transport links don't mean it's in London. Where I live I can walk to Camden etc in less than half an hour.

ReputationRep:
    Depends where really, I live in the North West and I think it's perhaps the only place in England where Jews,Christians,Muslims Hindus, Blacks,Whites etc all get along.

ReputationRep:
    Largest Borough by population - not something to boast about.
    Innit. Just cos it's a London borough and loads of people live there does not mean it really counts. Why would anyone who lives in inner London ever want to go to Croydon? And Croydon peeps always come into London. Therefore, they are not the same place, or the traffic would be flowing all over the place, not in one direction if you get me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimeDivided09)
    Just watched a show called Adulthood and I was shocked at how violent some punks are in the UK. They also looked ethnic too. Where are some of your immigrants from? Here in the States our gangs are largely Mexican, African American and Asian. It just looked strange to me that London could be so dangerous in certain sectors. I hope it was just exaggerated for TV.

If I were to ever visit London, what are some places that I should I just totally avoid?
    your best of in east and south of london.(peckhams meant to be really safe) :yep: :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I'm just sick of the backdoor racism that exist on TSR.

To paraphrase Henry Rollins, "I'm sick of people saying things like, 'I'm not a racist, but those blacks, those Asians.' It's fine if you want to say things about other ethnic groups, but come straight out and say it".

This isn't me having a go at you, per say. More the OP.

Have I had stuff thrown my way in the street in Bethnal Green by Asian lads? Yeah of course I have. But no more than by very, very white kids in Sussex suburbs. Youths are youths, no matter where you go.
    Too true, there is this irritating arrogance and pretentiousness that occupies the mostly middle class TSR forum. London is fine, walked around most places at the dead of night with the ipod on and the phone in my hand. I dont participate in gang violence and I dont roll like a wasteman hence I avoid conflict. Most of the "civilians" who become victims of robberies are middle class tosser who dont know how to take simple precautionary measures.

I also dont understand that ******** "ethnic" comment from the OP, ******* idiot, crime has no skin colour. Glasgow is one of the most violent cities in the western world, yet its like 98% white.

ReputationRep:
    Did someone mention Barnet as a dangerous place in LDN?

:rofl:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.