Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    london is fine.. i've been living in an "urban" area of london (as some of the trying-to-not-seem-racist people would call it) my whole and nothing happen to me.

hear about a few stabbings and robs here and there but you get there anywhere

its like everywhere, anyone of any race could be violent, why do people have to put race in it

ReputationRep:
    What is everyone's deal on this forum?
    I was curious to know if the gangs were largely ethnic based like in the States.I was just asking because of the movie, not because I am racist. If you were to watch Training Day and ask me about the Mexican and African American gangs, I wouldn't call you a racist.

I apologize if it seemed racist but the overwhelming outcry seems a bit much. I could care less if Glasgow is 98% white and has the highest crime rate. The point was that the movie intrigued me enough to wonder about the seemingly ethnic gangs in the movie and if the portrayal about London gangs was true or exaggerated.

Of course I assumed it was exaggerated for effect, but I also wanted a heads up on how to act if I wind up in certain shady places.

ReputationRep:
    "I'm not a racist, but I noticed your gangs are 'ethnic'."

Classy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rubyjane)
    Every knows North is better than South. Even people from the South. Look at what proportion of the tube network is North of the river http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...d-tube-map.pdf

Also, it's definitely not the biggest borough http://www.statistics.gov.uk/geograp...ondon_boro.pdf

Also, all of the crappest boroughs are biggest cos they're on the outskirts so there's room for them to sprawl out in a big pile of nothing, i.e. Croydon, Barnet, Enfield, Bromley etc. Technically they're in London... but they're not really London cos they're not inner London are they? No-one thinks "I wanna go to London... I know, I'll go to Croydon!".

Also, you can get a train to Cambridge in an hour, so what? Transport links don't mean it's in London. Where I live I can walk to Camden etc in less than half an hour.
    Yes Croydon is the biggest borough in London. It has the largest population. and you and Adam G don't know diddly squat about London evidently seeing as 4 million people live in outer London compared to 3 million people in inner London. And I I know bare people in inner London that come to Croydon seeing as people from places like Peckham, Lewisham Deptford all come to Croydon to shop. Croydon is more reprentative of REAL London than Kensington will ever be. Don't make me laugh at your ends as well. Type in n19 into wikipedia and I see some 3 line page about ****** Upper Holloway. Real talk apart from the sights which I have seen countless times there is little to do in Central London that I can't do in Croydon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam G Manning)
    "I'm not a racist, but I noticed your gangs are 'ethnic'."

Classy.
    Very. I noticed from watching one your home country's movies that the gangs in the film were largely ethnic. I was wondering just what ethnicity. Sort of like how the gangs portrayed in our films are largely African American, Asian and Latino. It's a simple question but I'll let you feel morally superior by claiming that I am racist if it makes you feel better.

I am not blinded by the fact that whites commit crimes too, but in this instance I just wanted a straight answer as to what nationality are these gangs supposed to be, portray? Are they ethnic based like our gangs or based on territory? It was more out of socio-cultural curiosity.

ReputationRep:
    OP, watch Green Street
    Maybe that might put you off football matches/East Ham?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Too true, there is this irritating arrogance and pretentiousness that occupies the mostly middle class TSR forum. London is fine, walked around most places at the dead of night with the ipod on and the phone in my hand. I dont participate in gang violence and I dont roll like a wasteman hence I avoid conflict. Most of the "civilians" who become victims of robberies are middle class tosser who dont know how to take simple precautionary measures.

I also dont understand that ******** "ethnic" comment from the OP, ******* idiot, crime has no skin colour. Glasgow is one of the most violent cities in the western world, yet its like 98% white.
    Okay - to everyone taking offence to the OP's "ethnic" comment: It is a fact that the London areas in which crime is rife are usually densely populated by ethnic minorities - particularly Asian and Afro-Caribbean. It is also in these areas where you will find the highest rates of unemployment - this partially explaining the high levels of crime.

So lets not get on the "omg i cant believe he just said that he is racist" bandwagon. Because he's not exactly wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LosNelski90)
    However, some areas can get pretty tasty at night so here's the ones you need to avoid if you hope to still have your wallet and phone at the end of a hard day at uni.........
    .....4. North London: ....../BARNET

Barnet? I know that there are plenty of spoilt middle class kids that get bused out to cheap private schools near the M25 that think they are 'street' or whatever crap that call it... But seriously, are you taking the piss or something, just about the worst crime that happens in Barnet is some footballer 'converting' his 4x4 or tax evasion...

ReputationRep:
    Gang violence in London is like "give me ya wallet brev before I merk ya" "OK" "laterz brev". Gang violence in the US is like "Bang bang, your dead".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crackingod)
    London is fine. Stop watching tv

There are (as in every city), some areas that it is better to avoid (Hackney, Peckham, Lewisham and a few others), but in most cases you'll be fine.
    I read (can't remember where but I think it was the Evening Standard) that the crime rate in London (so 10 million inhabitants) was actually on par with that of average american cities. Brought back to crime/person its actually not that high
    I live in Peckham, some stupid people. If your not acting like trouble 9/10 times you won't get it. There is no comparison between the ghetto's in America and London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Okay - to everyone taking offence to the OP's "ethnic" comment: It is a fact that the London areas in which crime is rife are usually densely populated by ethnic minorities - particularly Asian and Afro-Caribbean. It is also in these areas where you will find the highest rates of unemployment - this partially explaining the high levels of crime.

So lets not get on the "omg i cant believe he just said that he is racist" bandwagon. Because he's not exactly wrong.
    What both you and the general populace clearly dont understand is that the geographical concentration of crime is entirely defined by class and socioeconomic opportunities, poor areas breed violence and instability, its not a race thing. These economic factors are not "part" of the problem, they are the problem and the statistics have shown that if an area has high rates of destitution crime will become an inevitability regardless of the race of its inhabitants. These ethnic minorities just happen to be part of this social group but I do not believe they are part of this group merely because they are ethnic minorities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    Gang violence in London is like "give me ya wallet brev before I merk ya" "OK" "laterz brev". Gang violence in the US is like "Bang bang, your dead".

Very true. This has also to do with the fact that most of our citizens carry guns. Los Angeles street gangs are nothing to mess with it. American cities can be very dangerous because people are afraid of both the cops and the gangs. You don't cross a cop and you don't cross a gang member.

I would rather deal with a gang member sticking me up with a knife and taking my wallet than with a gang member having to kill someone to be initiated which happens daily here in the States.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    And to think one of the major stories here recently was a gang scrubbing red diesel to make it seem like normal diesel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimeDivided09)
    Very. I noticed from watching one your home country's movies that the gangs in the film were largely ethnic. I was wondering just what ethnicity. Sort of like how the gangs portrayed in our films are largely African American, Asian and Latino. It's a simple question but I'll let you feel morally superior by claiming that I am racist if it makes you feel better.

I am not blinded by the fact that whites commit crimes too, but in this instance I just wanted a straight answer as to what nationality are these gangs supposed to be, portray? Are they ethnic based like our gangs or based on territory? It was more out of socio-cultural curiosity.
    Please take your pseudo passive aggressive BS elsewhere.

I'll humour you, though:
    I'd hazard a guess that no one here is in a gang or is Ross Kemp, therefore will not know in the ins and outs.
    In South London, I know there's a lot of post code gang violence. I'd also guess that members in these gangs are many different ethnic origins - not just Indian, or Bangladeshi or one African country but a mixture.
    I've never seen gang violence in East London so can't comment on it. I feel safe as 'ouses here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimeDivided09)

Saying you come from America, I am surprised you were unable to notice that race and territory were pretty much intertwined. Ghettoization burgeons upon difference. You also speak of the US as if its some kind of crazy crime infested hell-hole, you in the suburbs of Baltimore or something?

ReputationRep:
    What both you and the general populace clearly dont understand is that the geographical concentration of crime is entirely defined by class and socioeconomic opportunities, poor areas breed violence and instability, its not a race thing. These economic factors are not "part" of the problem, they are the problem and the statistics have shown that if an area has high rates of destitution crime will become an inevitability regardless of the race of its inhabitants. These ethnic minorities just happen to be part of this social group but I do not believe they are part of this group merely because they are ethnic minorities.
    Well no shiz. You're not saying something I don't already know. I was just wondering about these ethnic communities and the violence within them and you snapped at me like the PC Squad or something.
    I was curious about your crime rate, the areas to watch out for, and if your gangs were largely ethnic based like ours are or just territory based.

ReputationRep:
    Really to put it plain and simple to you, I lived in a poor council estate full of hyped teenagers, I got on with life and yes they sometimes would throw water baloons at my direction even chuck banana skins on my dad's car. Even once swore at my dad on the escalator very rudely. At the end I tried to be friend everyone I would join in the Football e.t.c. they stopped this and I did not seem them often, my brother on the other hand decided to hang around with them, he experimented with drugs, he began fighting with them and soon they assaulted him and he failed his A-levels. He continued his "bigman" serious hype, until a murder occurred between, which was part of a feud of some of his friends. Fortunately he barely made it into uni and I easily made into college. He looked for trouble and he got it. Walk straight, work and enjoy your life. Council estates are called bad - So I wonder what the ghetto's of other countries would be to these people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Fair enough, but saying you come from America I am surprised you were unable to notice that race and territory were pretty much intertwined. Ghettoization burgeons upon difference.
    There is a major difference. For instance, our gangs are largely ethnic based and will recruit people even outside of their territorial ground. It did seem like the gangs portrayed in the film was largely ethnic based too but also took in people of other ethnic backgrounds so it made me wonder if it was just based on territory. I couldn't tell, because it would be very rare for a white person to join a Mexican gang even if he lived in the same neighborhood.

ReputationRep:
    You also speak of the US as if its some kind of crazy crime infested hell-hole, you in the suburbs of Baltimore or something?
    Dude, at the bottom level (and this effects all races) the US is starting to look like a third world country. Crime rate is high in our major cities, gun violence, robberies and murders. Especially now since our gangs have turned into outright organized crime organizations like the MS-13, Mexican Mafia, Aryan Brotherhood, etc. It's pretty dangerous in certain sectors. At least surprising for a developed nation.

ReputationRep:
    In South London, I know there's a lot of post code gang violence. I'd also guess that members in these gangs are many different ethnic origins - not just Indian, or Bangladeshi or one African country but a mixture.
    This shows that gang violence is largely due to socio-economic status. In the States, these ethnic groups are rarely known to create gangs or anti-social groups. The problem has to stem from how the host nation distributes wealth in certain sectors of its major cities.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.