Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It depends who you are to be honest. If your just a normal person going around the shops, resturants, work ect. you should be fine. But if you go around with gangs, act tough, try to stare people out, be over confronting to people, go to random parties? and the list goes on and on, London could be like adulthood or worse.
    The move was just to make people aware of that side of london.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimeDivided09)
    What is everyone's deal on this forum?
    I was curious to know if the gangs were largely ethnic based like in the States.I was just asking because of the movie, not because I am racist. If you were to watch Training Day and ask me about the Mexican and African American gangs, I wouldn't call you a racist.

I apologize if it seemed racist but the overwhelming outcry seems a bit much. I could care less if Glasgow is 98% white and has the highest crime rate. The point was that the movie intrigued me enough to wonder about the seemingly ethnic gangs in the movie and if the portrayal about London gangs was true or exaggerated.

Of course I assumed it was exaggerated for effect, but I also wanted a heads up on how to act if I wind up in certain shady places.
    The gangs aren't as ethnic based in London its more where you live.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i live in N-Dubz man, its hardcore. nah its fine. last year i lived in the rough end of dollis hill and expereinced a few crimes. my bf lives in acton town (grew up in east dulwich) and i now live inkilburn. its FINE. honestly. ffs. the fear of crime is far greater than the actual crime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    What both you and the general populace clearly dont understand is that the geographical concentration of crime is entirely defined by class and socioeconomic opportunities, poor areas breed violence and instability, its not a race thing. These economic factors are not "part" of the problem, they are the problem and the statistics have shown that if an area has high rates of destitution crime will become an inevitability regardless of the race of its inhabitants. These ethnic minorities just happen to be part of this social group but I do not believe they are part of this group merely because they are ethnic minorities.
    I never insinuated (or at least never meant to) that crime was linked to skin colour/race. And neither did the OP. I merely said that in London, the highest levels of crime are usually detected in areas in which ethnic minorities largely inhabit. They are obviously neighbourhoods in which social exclusion and deprivation is rife.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam G Manning)
    I'm just sick of the backdoor racism that exist on TSR.

To paraphrase Henry Rollins, "I'm sick of people saying things like, 'I'm not a racist, but those blacks, those Asians.' It's fine if you want to say things about other ethnic groups, but come straight out and say it".

This isn't me having a go at you, per say. More the OP.

Have I had stuff thrown my way in the street in Bethnal Green by Asian lads? Yeah of course I have. But no more than by very, very white kids in Sussex suburbs. Youths are youths, no matter where you go.
    Lol I know its so easy to blame ethnicity but the problem is with youth culture itself in general. I don't care what language or colour you are as long as you don't steal my bag and punch me in the face.

I've been confronted more by white kids with an attitude problem than anyone else so I think race is not an issue here. Youths ARE just youths and a lack of respect and a false sense of power is all to blame here.

ReputationRep:
    OP you remind me of Josh Hartnett being mugged in Lucky Number Slevin... 'wait...are you mugging me?'

lol its the same everywhere. I'm sure you've ran into some trouble in the states. It's the same here, you just have to be street smart as everyone said.

Also to ruby in this thread. Seriously, don't always walk alone at night. Females are definitely targeted as well. A friend of mine lost her ipod touch to some youths the other day...she was at a secluded bus stop at near midnight. You might have never experienced it before, but believe me there is always a chance some fool will turn up.

Look at me I sound like an old man. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by puma21)
    It depends who you are to be honest. If your just a normal person going around the shops, resturants, work ect. you should be fine. But if you go around with gangs, act tough, try to stare people out, be over confronting to people, go to random parties? and the list goes on and on, London could be like adulthood or worse.
    The move was just to make people aware of that side of london.
    The movie confused me very much considering that the UK, I presumed was largely a social democratic nation with an extensive social benefits network that helps all groups achieve social mobility.
    Was this massively rolled back during the Thatcher- Blair New Labour years?
    In the States, the disparity between rich and poor has grown to proportions that mirror third world countries. The past administrations both Democrat and Republican rolled back a lot of the little social nets we had to help people get back on their feet. This created havoc in whole communities where production jobs were shipped overseas. This included poor public funding going to schools, unemployment, low wages, etc. Crime rate soared into the clouds.

To see similarities in Europe makes me wonder if it was the right to accept the free market reforms of the 80s and 90s.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm a white private schoolboy who probably looks like quite an easy target. I go to the cinema in Peckham at night all the time, never had any trouble. Obviously there are some estates that it wouldn't be sensible to go to at 2am, but why would you? In general, London's fine. It's not like in America where there are massive "no go areas" everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    The movie confused me very much considering that the UK, I presumed was largely a social democratic nation with an extensive social benefits network that helps all groups achieve social mobility.

Haha!

The social services will find any excuse to not give you money.

ReputationRep:
    blud dont come to london unless you want the mandem to buss a shot in your head

nah jk londons the best, just dont act like a battyman and youll be fine

ReputationRep:
    if u dont do the migrain skank then you will get shanked

ReputationRep:
    Bow, Hackney, Stockwell, Peckham and Lewisham from experience

I remember someone saying that if you haven't been beaten up or stabbed, you haven't really lived in London :borat:

I've never been stabbed though :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    less dangerous than somalia, baghdad or detroit, but more dangerous than manchester, manhattan or ... warwick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    less dangerous than somalia, baghdad or detroit, but more dangerous than manchester, manhattan or ... warwick?
    Yeah Manhattan was clamped down after 9/11. You'll see police and SWAT guys in the major tourist areas. A mini-little police state.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Manhattan was clamped down after 9/11. You'll see police and SWAT guys in the major tourist areas. A mini-little police state.
    you will? i went last december and i cant say i noticed SWAT hanging about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    you will? i went last december and i cant say i noticed SWAT hanging about.
    Mostly in Times Square and I saw a couple near the financial district. The cops though are usually very visible. Point is Manhattan, especially lower Manhattan is very safe.

Can't say the same for LA, South Side of Chicago, Houston, New Orleans, Miami, and Oakland, Cali.

ReputationRep:
    Tower Hamlets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Tower Hamlets.
    Yeah, watch your back in Wapping. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    as long u people kw wat u r doing rite den nuttin bad cn happen 2 us.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.