Turn on thread page Beta

How dangerous is London? Going by UK show Adulthood... watch

ReputationRep:
    This is a bit like judging British teens by Skins and Americans by the OC and 90210. Television focuses on the extremes because they are interesting to those who do not live the life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stella476)
    This is a bit like judging British teens by Skins and Americans by the OC and 90210. Television focuses on the extremes because they are interesting to those who do not live the life.
    that soaps for people like you who got no life at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bengalisoldier)
    that soaps for people like you who got no life at all.
    Pardon? Take a pause and think slowly about what your trying to say. Sound the words out if that helps with the spelling :p:

ReputationRep:
    You let TV shape your perspective of London? If people in the UK based their opinion of americans on what we watched on tv then many would think americans make really bad jokes. Oh wait.. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    adulthood isn't a show, it's a film.

ReputationRep:
    and no it's not exaggerated, just because its not the lifestyle of most people on here doesn't mean it's entirely made up. i used to hang around with these kind of people, and i'd say the film's accurate. i'm not saying the stuff portrayed in the film is the stuff of everyones life, but it's annoying that people keep saying it's made up/exaggerated. what'd be the point in that?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LosNelski90)
    If you're from the States, then the gang violence here is nothing compared to the likes of the Brotherhood, Crips/Bloods, Mexican Cartels etc etc...
    However, some areas can get pretty tasty at night so here's the ones you need to avoid if you hope to still have your wallet and phone at the end of a hard day at uni...

1. South London: CROYDON/BRIXTON/ROTHERHITHE
    2. West London: HAYES END/WHITE CITY/WEMBLEY
    3. East London: HACKNEY/ILFORD/MILE END/ BOW
    4. North London: TOTTENHAM/EDMONTON/BARNET
    What's wrong with Barnet??

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say it was that dangerous. I've lived in some **** areas and walked around at the dead of night and been fine. Maybe people are just scared of me. Who knows. I would say just mind your own business in London and use a bit of common sense. For example, take the necessary precautions when out and about at night and don't eyeball some kid and therefore 'disrespect' him.

Like in any city, you can just simply be in the wrong place at wrong time and get caught up in something. If you're scared of that then wrap yourself in cotton wool and never leave the house again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotCoco.)
    What's wrong with Barnet??
    nothing, people are just trying to give information about something they clearly know NOTHING about, spewing out the stereotpyical "bad" areas. ugh, i bet half these people don't even live in london. and going to uni in london isn't enough for people to think they can be knowledgeable about london. when you've actually grown up in london/been a teenager here and grown up in a ****** area or on a council estate, maybe then you'll know what you're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Well that doesn't help. But if it's late at night, and you're walking home, obviously listening to your very expensive MP3/iPod, or calling someone on your phone, and not paying any attention, I'd say that would constitute idiot behaviour.
    Fair enough that doesn't sound too hard to aviod lol :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam G Manning)
    Avoid everywhere in London.
    You will get stabbed

I'm being stabbed right now.
    lmao best opening ever

why has this thread reached 5 pages

\**** the media

ReputationRep:
    I would not step foot in London, solely because of the number of ethnic minorities there.

I studied there for a year and I was disgusted at the amount of third world garbage walking the streets. I was sick of the crime, the realisation that I was walking down streets that resembled nigeria or pakistan.

When I came back home to inverness I could have cried because it was like a white haven.

How dangerous is a piece of string?

ReputationRep:
    Adulthood isn't rough though is it lol?

In London if you're caught in the wrong place at the wrong time you're ******. There are a lot of places you should avoid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EthnicScot)
    I would not step foot in London, solely because of the number of ethnic minorities there.

I studied there for a year and I was disgusted at the amount of third world garbage walking the streets. I was sick of the crime, the realisation that I was walking down streets that resembled nigeria or pakistan.

When I came back home to inverness I could have cried because it was like a white haven.
    Please stay there, preferably in your basement.

ReputationRep:
    Lol.. . .London dangerous? not really. .. ...been living here all my life you get the odd muggings and violence as long as you avoid certain area's and cautious you really should be fine. London is probably less dangerous than most places in America.. .. .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fox_the_fix)
    Adulthood isn't rough though is it lol?

In London if you're caught in the wrong place at the wrong time you're ******. There are a lot of places you should avoid.
    It's the same for any city. So long as you have a bit of common sense then its the best city in the world bar none. Not dangerous at all. Lived in London for 20 years, love it to bits. Miss it like hell when im at Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam G Manning)
    Avoid everywhere in London.
    You will get stabbed

I'm being stabbed right now.
    *love*

OP... I-- I-- Er-- It's fine. Just... don't... be annoying to people who look like they could break your arms.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimeDivided09)
    Just watched a show called Adulthood and I was shocked at how violent some punks are in the UK. They also looked ethnic too. Where are some of your immigrants from? Here in the States our gangs are largely Mexican, African American and Asian. It just looked strange to me that London could be so dangerous in certain sectors. I hope it was just exaggerated for TV.

If I were to ever visit London, what are some places that I should I just totally avoid?
    Ha there not exactly punks more like chavs
    London isnt that bad just be careful id say stay in the central/ touristy areas just be careful of theives

ReputationRep:
    Punks?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh my. You are absolutely hilarious.
    'They also looked ethnic too.' Claps for that.
    Kidulthood and Adulthood are films btw, not shows.
    London can be dangerous yeh, but there's nowhere like it!! I love London with all my heart and I'm proud to be a Londoner. Also proud to be an ETHNIC Londoner lol. We're a violent lot, you haven't seen nothing til you've seen the people on Wandsworth Common. Dear God.
    :P

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.