Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well TBH it depends on the area! But yeah the movie is real based.

ReputationRep:
    It's fine man, I'm from peckham. Its pretty cool nowadays, a few years ago was when it was a freaking war zone. does anyone from south london remember that peckham v lewisham rivalry ?

I literally had to turn my back every 10 seconds just to see if i'm about to get ambushed by 20 dudes with knifes. I'm not a violent person but i even had to get cs gas and a knife just incase i had to get into combat mode.

But i think London in general is fine when i was like 15 (3 years ago) I was really worried about going to places because of where im from, but now i'm bigger, older, and just mastered the art of the mean angry face look. I'm never worried.

ReputationRep:
    I get mugged every single day, it's da ghettoz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poo-Is-Brown)
    It's fine man, I'm from peckham. Its pretty cool nowadays, a few years ago was when it was a freaking war zone. does anyone from south london remember that peckham v lewisham rivalry ?

I literally had to turn my back every 10 seconds just to see if i'm about to get ambushed by 20 dudes with knifes. I'm not a violent person but i even had to get cs gas and a knife just incase i had to get into combat mode.

But i think London in general is fine when i was like 15 (3 years ago) I was really worried about going to places because of where im from, but now i'm bigger, older, and just mastered the art of the mean angry face look. I'm never worried.

mmmn ...i wonder how the nigerian parents would react to this info :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilymae)
    Punks?? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh my. You are absolutely hilarious.
    'They also looked ethnic too.' Claps for that.
    Kidulthood and Adulthood are films btw, not shows.
    London can be dangerous yeh, but there's nowhere like it!! I love London with all my heart and I'm proud to be a Londoner. Also proud to be an ETHNIC Londoner lol. We're a violent lot, you haven't seen nothing til you've seen the people on Wandsworth Common. Dear God.
    :P
    Punks is an America term for no good kids. What does it mean in the UK? Aparently its something funny to get all the HAs.

Yes, they appeared ethnic. I was curious about the nationality of some of the gang members to know if some of the gangs were ethnic based or territorial. Apparently, Brits see no color or love to be act morally superior in front of Americans. :rolleyes: Which one are you?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, the part of Essex I live in (mid-essex not the London end) is considered to be pretty decent, but I've had far more fights and trouble here than I have in any of the parts of London popularly considered to be "rough" (ie none whatsoever in London vs. a lot of fights here). I think this is because adolescent males from council estates in Essex have very little to their name, so they cling onto the fact that they are "almost Londoners" and behave like mobsters towards the general public because that's how they think the kids do it in London. But if they actually went to London they'd see that as long as you don't behave like a **** and don't make yourself look vulnerable, you will likely be fine. Anybody else's area suffer from "Almost London" syndrome?

The dodgy parts of Glasgow (that I've been to anyway), on the other hand, are far worse than the London counterparts. They know how to fight...and some.

ReputationRep:
    Was Glasgow hit pretty hard economically or something? I wouldn't have thought a big city in Scotland would've been as bad as London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimeDivided09)
    Punks is an America term for no good kids. What does it mean in the UK? Aparently its something funny to get all the HAs.
    Punks is just a funny americanism that makes us Brits giggle.:yep:

Yes, they appeared ethnic. I was curious about the nationality of some of the gang members to know if some of the gangs were ethnic based or territorial. Apparently, Brits see no color or love to be act morally superior in front of Americans. :rolleyes: Which one are you?
    Most gangs are based on territory but some are based on ethnicity.

ReputationRep:
    Was Glasgow hit pretty hard economically or something? I wouldn't have thought a big city in Scotland would've been as bad as London.
    Glascow is far worse than London for violence.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, Sakujo. It just wouldn't have struck me that Glasgow was that bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crackingod)
    There are (as in every city), some areas that it is better to avoid (Hackney, Peckham, Lewisham and a few others), but in most cases you'll be fine.
    i have lived in Lewisham my whole life and nothing has ever happened to me, Lewisham is nowhere near as bad as Peckham, Stretham or Brixton or Hackney etc.. there are much worse areas than Lewisham.... Lewisham has the same crime rate as Greenwich but for some strange reason it doesnt get named as arough area.....

ReputationRep:
    Just watched a show called Adulthood and I was shocked at how violent some punks are in the UK. They also looked ethnic too. Where are some of your immigrants from? Here in the States our gangs are largely Mexican, African American and Asian. It just looked strange to me that London could be so dangerous in certain sectors. I hope it was just exaggerated for TV.

If I were to ever visit London, what are some places that I should I just totally avoid?
    You're an idiot...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    I'm from Lewisham originally though, and I've never had a problem, nor has anyone else I know from there. I think the general rule is that you're fine everywhere, unless you act like an idiot.
    ditto, im from lewisham too and i keep myself to myself so i have never had any torouble or noither does anyone else i know from the area.... if you look for trouble you can find it anywhere... its down to the individual not the place

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7778155.stm

Geez. Glasgow looks like it has some serious crime from some of the stuff I've been reading.

The UK seems to be going through some of the same problems as the States.

ReputationRep:
    You're an idiot...
    Thanks for the contribution, Fruitman. Next time, try reading a little more of the ongoing conversation than just quoting and replying rather half-assed.

ReputationRep:
    Brapppp my area was in the movie :awesome:

and it's not dangerous as long as you dont walk there at stupid times in very dark alloways

ReputationRep:
    Most gangs in London are based on territory (postcode) and usually a specific estate (housing project). They're mostly made up of mixture of races from that area (some areas obviously may have a large population of one race)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LosNelski90)

1. South London: CROYDON/BRIXTON/ROTHERHITHE
    2. West London: HAYES END/WHITE CITY/WEMBLEY
    3. East London: HACKNEY/ILFORD/MILE END/ BOW
    4. North London: TOTTENHAM/EDMONTON/BARNET
    LOL! HA! and thats in north west

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here that says London is a good place is high on crack that was bought with daddies paycheck. You guys must be either nuts or live in the richest areas of London. I dare you to cross the river to the other side

I mean seriously. "Living" condition wise, its a **** hole. I have only crossed over to the west end a few times, I mean what could I possibly do there anyway? One weeks paycheck could buy me an ice cream, a coffee and a little snack from the local stores thats how expensive it is over on that side.

At the end of the day, no, it's like America's Brooklyn/Baltimore on one side of the river, but on the other side its full of people that come from Mary Land that are daddies little boys/girls. See, London is split in two. One half is the rich side, the other half is shyt-hole-land.

Seen as you bought up Adulthood... No, its not like Adulthood. In movies like that (pretty much every movie here) its all full of BS propaganda that glamarizes the S they do. At the end of the day, if anyone of them in real life where to roam the streets in the style they did... They would be dead.

O, and another thing is, in the U.K gun crime is not like it is in the states, its more knives or “shanks” as many call em.

There are no major gangs, nor are they any mafia's here, it's all mostly the government, if you think about it. - They control everything. (from the dark side of things)

ReputationRep:
    I understand what the OP is saying, I don't know why people are taking offence? I may be wrong, OP, but I think you're saying that in America many gangs group themselves on ethnicity i.e. "we are the mexican gang", "we're the white gang", "we're the black gang" (alright I'm sure they don't say it like that.. but you know what I mean).

So you're asking, do British gangs also group themselves according to ethnicity or can anyone join as long as they belong to the same social status/aims (or any other variable)?

Which isn't a racist thing to say at all, and yes I see people trying to act superior because you're American. Some people don't even know they're doing it - it's kind of inbuilt and I used to be a bit like that until I realised it looks pretty transparent and there's no need for it. It's the same way some Americans make joke about British smiles, or think they have everything in America so they'd never have to leave - it's lame.

I wouldn't say that gangs here base themselves off race but some do. Glasgow has some Pakistani gangs who are territorial over "their" areas - for example someone I know recently bought a shop in a part of Glasgow that was mostly Asian shops and he was chased out by some Pakistani boys who came in with swords at night threatening him to leave. He did. Another white guy took over and was also 'persuaded' to sell up this time to an Asian shop owner.

I'm sure there are other gangs who do the same racial attacks in other parts of the countries, white, Asian whatever.

Certain parts of cities are more inhabited by certain ethnicities and Kidulthood was about an area in which there was a higher percentage of black people than in other parts of the country or city - so naturally they were represented in this movie, but their colour was not a cause, reason or requisite for gang membership.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.