Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    K this is my plan:

I will post my (disastrous) attempt soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AutVinceriAutMori)
    Marshmallow fluff, the kind thats sold in jars??? :drool: I absolutely love the stuff, but here in Brum its only available in few stores
    Yes that's the stuff.

I love it, because I'm a vegetarian and marshmallows aren't suitable for veggies, as they have gelatine in. But Fluff (and other brands of Marshmallow gooey stuff) are suitable for veggies, as they don't need the gelatine in them.

I'm pretty sure, that when I've been back in the UK for holidays, I've seen Fluff in supermarkets now. Perhaps it's just selected ones though. I'll certainly be tracking down the nearest place I can get it when I move back home!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    Yes that's the stuff.

I love it, because I'm a vegetarian and marshmallows aren't suitable for veggies, as they have gelatine in. But Fluff (and other brands of Marshmallow gooey stuff) are suitable for veggies, as they don't need the gelatine in them.

I'm pretty sure, that when I've been back in the UK for holidays, I've seen Fluff in supermarkets now. Perhaps it's just selected ones though. I'll certainly be tracking down the nearest place I can get it when I move back home!
    I have only seen them in House of Fraserr and Selfridges (whihc sell a lot of american stuff) I love eating out of jar, with coffeee :fluffy:
    Not sure how you incorporate that into icing, but would be interesting choice

ReputationRep:
    I have only seen them in House of Fraserr and Selfridges (whihc sell a lot of american stuff) I love eating out of jar, with coffeee :fluffy:
    Not sure how you incorporate that into icing, but would be interesting choice
    Not surprisingly, the staff at Molly's won't tell me that, but I have asked on several occasions how they get it to work.

I keep hoping, that as I'm a regular, they might just whisper it in my ear one day. No such luck though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pocketfulofposy)
    Not surprisingly, the staff at Molly's won't tell me that, but I have asked on several occasions how they get it to work.

I keep hoping, that as I'm a regular, they might just whisper it in my ear one day. No such luck though!
    Tell them you advertise their stuff in UK, surely their hearts would melt at such level of devotion

ReputationRep:
    Tell them you advertise their stuff in UK, surely their hearts would melt at such level of devotion
    It's worth a shot. I'll try that tomorrow, when I go for my fix!

ReputationRep:
    Check out some previous posts in my blog in my sig to see some of my vegan cupcakes,
    I've made carrot, banana split, Rose water and pistachio, Chocolate, vanilla varieties so far.
    Somewhere back there I also have pictures of cupcakes I saw in NY, and a baby cakes cupcakes I devoured for breakfast one fine day in July :P

ReputationRep:
    OMG A Cupcake Society wooo! I am OBSESSED with cupcakes. I must have been to about 10 different cupcake shops in London to compare, and I must say Primrose bakery is my favourite - everyone goes on about Hummingbird, but they are just a bit too sickly really, Primrose are much better but Buttercup are yummy too! Tried a few out when we went to New York too! After exams I will update (well, start properly) my cupcake blog where I'll put pictures and reviews of every cupcake I've had!

I literally bake them whenever I get the chance too, my favourite at the moment is any flavour base with cream cheese icing.

If I see anything cupcake related I always buy it, I just can't get enough!

Near me at home we had a little cupcake stand that used to come to the monthly farmers market, and have now opened their own shop, and I have to say they are nicer than any of the cupcakes I've had from New York or London or anywhere - somehow they just get the icing so fluffy and light, and its not too sweet, they are SO yummy!

So yes I am definitely in!

Oh and whoever mentioned Hello Cupcake book, my sister got me that for Xmas - has some gorgeous looking designs, can't wait to try it out!

And have the giant cupcake cake mould - it looks very pretty but I wouldn't say its amazing - not easy to cut and once you do cut it, it falls over, but it looks pretty for an event!

ReputationRep:
    Marshmallow fluff, the kind thats sold in jars??? :drool: I absolutely love the stuff, but here in Brum its only available in few stores

How did they turn out? What ingredients did you substitute for vanilla (vodka? )
    It was an egg-free recipe cos I was too lazy to go to the shop, and I had to substitute vinegar ( :confused: ) for vodka and vanilla essence for Kahlua.
    They worked better than I thought they would!! In that they resemble and taste like cakes. The alcohol was somewhat wasted cos you couldn't taste it in the cakes, though the batter was immense :tongue:

Oh, and TkMaxx here sell Fluff, or you can buy it in several flavours from firebox.com

ReputationRep:
    I've decided that today, I shall make these.

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbreci...p?RecipeID=386

But I'm going to do some vanilla buttercream icing instead, because I need practice at icing! I'm really bad at it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keziah)
    I've decided that today, I shall make these.

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbreci...p?RecipeID=386

But I'm going to do some vanilla buttercream icing instead, because I need practice at icing! I'm really bad at it...
    Jealous of the icing

ReputationRep:
    Woo, icing came out pretty good this time.

I bought an icing bag in Wilko for 69p, and it has 4 different nozzles (though I only used one). Much neater result than trying to spread it neatly with a palette knife.

And I bought some cup measures, so I don't have to squish stuff in the bottom of my measuring jug when following American recipes.

Here are the pictures as promised.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:

I bought an icing bag in Wilko for 69p, and it has 4 different nozzles (though I only used one). Much neater result than trying to spread it neatly with a palette knife.

And I bought some cup measures, so I don't have to squish stuff in the bottom of my measuring jug when following American recipes.

Very nice! Although I can't help but think of the icing as something else

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    It was an egg-free recipe cos I was too lazy to go to the shop, and I had to substitute vinegar ( :confused: ) for vodka and vanilla essence for Kahlua.
    They worked better than I thought they would!! In that they resemble and taste like cakes. The alcohol was somewhat wasted cos you couldn't taste it in the cakes, though the batter was immense :tongue:

Oh, and TkMaxx here sell Fluff, or you can buy it in several flavours from firebox.com
    Out f curiosity, was vinegar supposed to be used to react with baking soda? In this case, its used to create CO2 bubbles which would raise the batter and make cupcakes lighter. I find vinegar rather too sour, so use lemon juice instead
    Alcohol, I would once try and put into glace icing (mmm, Bailey;s)

they look amazing!!! glad the icing turned out well for you
    I plan to have cupcakes instead of cake for my birthday, I have a pan that gives large cupcakes/muffins, and one that yields itsy bitsy ones

ReputationRep:
    Out f curiosity, was vinegar supposed to be used to react with baking soda? In this case, its used to create CO2 bubbles which would raise the batter and make cupcakes lighter. I find vinegar rather too sour, so use lemon juice instead
    Alcohol, I would once try and put into glace icing (mmm, Bailey;s)
    It could be, tho I don't own baking soda and just used self-raising flour... They are more muffiny than cupcakey, i admit. Just bought icing sugar for the toppings!! Contemplating getting the heart shaped cake cases to make cupcakes for my boyf for Valentines

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    It could be, tho I don't own baking soda and just used self-raising flour... They are more muffiny than cupcakey, i admit. Just bought icing sugar for the toppings!! Contemplating getting the heart shaped cake cases to make cupcakes for my boyf for Valentines
    well, self-raising has raising agents in it (probably soda anyway :p:) I never tried to make anything fancier than plain lemon or choc-orange :p: Muffins are geat too, though not as fancy, I admit

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone tried one of the following cupcakes...

Primrose bakery
    Baby cakes NY
    Marks and Spencers
    Waitrose
    Absolutely cupcakes
    Hummingbird bakery
    Angel Bakery Brighton

Why don't we review cupcakes? I may review Absolutely Cupcakes and Baby cakes as they're a bit more unusual...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizfairy)

Primrose bakery
    Baby cakes NY
    Marks and Spencers
    Waitrose
    Absolutely cupcakes
    Hummingbird bakery
    Angel Bakery Brighton

Why don't we review cupcakes? I may review Absolutely Cupcakes and Baby cakes as they're a bit more unusual...
    Several in the thread have mentioned cupcakes from those bakeries - i know 1 is waiting until after exams but i think others reviewed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizfairy)

Primrose bakery
    Baby cakes NY
    Marks and Spencers
    Waitrose
    Absolutely cupcakes
    Hummingbird bakery
    Angel Bakery Brighton

I got the M&S cupcake book for Christmas 2008 and the Primrose Bakery one as a random present from a friend last term. I struggled with the method of spreading the icing in the Primrose book - hence the piping bag I bought today! A lot of the ones in the M&S book are a bit ridiculous in terms of decoration - I tend to ignore a lot of that, and just pick out the cake mixtures and icings/fillings that sound good. The best ones I've made were probably the citrus poppyseed cakes (I put cream cheese icing on them), and the tiramisu cake. But I haven't tried out that many, I keep getting distracted by less interesting but delicious and reliable favourites like carrot cake and banana bread!

I had a red velvet cupcake at the Hummingbird Bakery in the summer, and it was yummy, but not that exciting really. My boyfriend had a chocolate mint one, which was also really nice, though it wouldn't be my usual choice.

Overall, I haven't really bought many cupcakes - for me it's more about baking them than eating them! I love to bake a batch of cakes and then just eat one or two and give the rest to friends (not the best financial option for a student, but hey, it's my hobby!).

ReputationRep:
    I got the M&S cupcake book for Christmas 2008 and the Primrose Bakery one as a random present from a friend last term. I struggled with the method of spreading the icing in the Primrose book - hence the piping bag I bought today! A lot of the ones in the M&S book are a bit ridiculous in terms of decoration - I tend to ignore a lot of that, and just pick out the cake mixtures and icings/fillings that sound good. The best ones I've made were probably the citrus poppyseed cakes (I put cream cheese icing on them), and the tiramisu cake. But I haven't tried out that many, I keep getting distracted by less interesting but delicious and reliable favourites like carrot cake and banana bread!

I had a red velvet cupcake at the Hummingbird Bakery in the summer, and it was yummy, but not that exciting really. My boyfriend had a chocolate mint one, which was also really nice, though it wouldn't be my usual choice.

Overall, I haven't really bought many cupcakes - for me it's more about baking them than eating them! I love to bake a batch of cakes and then just eat one or two and give the rest to friends (not the best financial option for a student, but hey, it's my hobby!).
    Oh gosh yep carrot, banana, peanut butter and vanilla all call me back.
    I'd love to try a ginger cupcake recipe to, and that tiramisu one sounds good! I love the way cupcakes look, I don't even really like usual cake because it looks so messy/chunky, whereas cupcakes look delicate. It has to be buttercream icing though, not some hard stuff.
    You could always freeze some for yourself another time? Or eat them for dinner, lunch and breakfast? (I do hehe)

Also, I'm planning to do a few cupcake sales to fund my fundraising for voluntary work this summer in Brazil

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.