Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Had an offer and contract sent to me from an IB, best to call/email/write to them to say i'm going somewhere else instead?

Rgds.

ReputationRep:
    Have signed yet? If not just drop them a line saying thanks but no thanks. I did that for my SA and they were cool with it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I just had to phone up and reject a couple. You feel bad, but they're always understanding. Just make sure to justify it properly.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks, i'll ring them now.

cancelled a few ACs by phone already but wasn't sure if it was the same when a formal contract had been sent over.

ReputationRep:
    Just tried ringing them and no answer, deadline for responding to contract is by 28th.

So... best to leave a message or send an email?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rozzr)
    ok thanks, i'll ring them now.

cancelled a few ACs by phone already but wasn't sure if it was the same when a formal contract had been sent over.
    Yeah, it's the same.
    The contact isn't made until you accept it by signing and returning a signed copy to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rozzr)
    Just tried ringing them and no answer, deadline for responding to contract is by 28th.

So... best to leave a message or send an email?
    If the deadline to respond to accept the contact is the 28th, and you don't want to accept the contact, then if you fail to respond in time you haven't agreed/accepted anyway.

If you want to leave them a message or email, you can do; but not responding to the contract in time will also nullify the contract.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyChris)
    If you want to leave them a message or email, you can do; but not responding to the contract in time will also nullify the contract.
    Obviously, but much better etiquette to get in contact yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, exactly Christo that is why I wanted to contact them prior to the deadline to let them know my intentions.

As I couldn't get through to the phone number I sent an email, and soon after I did I got a call from HR to ask why I had chosen the other IB over them!

ReputationRep:
    What happens if i sign now on an offer that starts on August and i decide to cancel it on July? Will i be in trouble?

ReputationRep:
    If you rejected a IB for summer would you then be blacklisted to apply for their grad position come Sept?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.