Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Got this question.

Firstly is a tragic hero the same as a revenge hero?

I've got an idea of what im going to write about. Just need a few tips and advice. I have to talk about the representation of a revenge hero.

ReputationRep:
    Hamlet was a hero?

His procrastinating lead to the madness and death of Ophelia
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Songgbird)
    Firstly is a tragic hero the same as a revenge hero?
    No, of course not.

ReputationRep:
    Revenge heroamlet takes revenge, after some time, for the murder of his father ie the killing of claudius.
    Revenge is a key theme, Old Hamlet orders Hamlet to perform this task, so the corruption of Hamlet comes from his Father. The corruption of Old Hamlet comes from death so we can deduce that Claudius is the root of the corruption.

Corruption is linked to revenge as all the corrupt characters in the play end up dead, therefore their sins are revenged.

Hope that helps, I'm doing Hamlet too and these are few of the many notes my teacher gave me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darigan)
    Hamlet was a hero?

His procrastinating lead to the madness and death of Ophelia
    no, her weakness lead to that.

no they aren't the same thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilina)
    no, her weakness lead to that.

no they aren't the same thing

But her madness came from Polonious' death which was caused by Hamlet's procrastinating as he wouldn't have killed polonious by accident if he had pulled his finger out and gotten rid of claudius when he had the chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lianne_s)
    But her madness came from Polonious' death which was caused by Hamlet's procrastinating as he wouldn't have killed polonious by accident if he had pulled his finger out and gotten rid of claudius when he had the chance
    yea but tbh if he had done that, what would that have done to his mother? and Denmak itself? he couldn't rule if he had killed the previous king, who would Denmark have passed to?
    if ophelia weren't so weak she wouldn't have gone mad and killed herself. or if she had listened to her brother and stayed away from Hamlet, she would have gone off, found a nice young man, got married and had millions of babies :p:

ReputationRep:
    man....Hamlet would be sooo much better if that happened!!!! But no, I'm afraid not. ophelia is mad due hamlet, cos if it was anyone else that had killed her father she might not have reacted this way. Hamlet is someon she loves so she is hurt more= CRAZY

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what i could talk about in this essay?

For example im thinking of writing about:

What is revenge?
    Different attitudes characters have towards revenge
    Mindsets
    Are the characters good or bad? With revenge?

Anymore things i could write about?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 28, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.