Turn on thread page Beta

Cardio question. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

With a vague consideration towards getting fitter (although, it's not the main reason) I cycle 20 minutes to my university campus and then 20 minutes back home later on. I've seen things saying you should be doing a certain amout of time doing cardio a day but does it matter if it's all in one go or not? I just wanted to know as i need to get a bit fitter before i do a lot of hiking this easter and i'm aware that i could do with starting soon but I can't really be bothered to go out of my way to exercise so if the cycling will do then that's great but if not then i'll have to go swimming or running.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Cycling is a great form of cardio and should be enough if you are doing this every day imo, although depends on the extent of what you will be doing on your trip but if it's nothing too exstensive then you shouldn't need to do anything additional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desi_jatt)
    Cycling is a great form of cardio and should be enough if you are doing this every day imo, although depends on the extent of what you will be doing on your trip but if it's nothing too exstensive then you shouldn't need to do anything additional.
    The trip is a 2 week fieldcourse in the spanish mountains and will be about 8-10 hours of on/off walking (gotta take notes and all) but up and down mountains!

ReputationRep:
    they say 20-30 mins of cardio every day I think.

what's really important is the quality of your workout, going for a brisk walk for 20 mins is much different to a jog; also, a 4mph jog is quite different to say a 6mph one. heart rate comes in to play here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rugar)
    they say 20-30 mins of cardio every day I think.

what's really important is the quality of your workout, going for a brisk walk for 20 mins is much different to a jog; also, a 4mph jog is quite different to say a 6mph one. heart rate comes in to play here.
    Why skipping is better than cycling?

ReputationRep:
    @Mr Halpert,

I agree skipping is totally good cardio and very technical too (note to self, practice skipping more)

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.