Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LearningMath)
    75.03%, possibly lost mark for sig figs, i cant remember how many they used in given values.

Errr... what other questions were there? Oh yes, when the polymer is hydrolyised with NaOH. I gave the products as ^-OOC-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH2-CH2-NH2....
    General rule is use 3 sig figures unless it says otherwise. I remember seeing in a past paper they took a mark off for putting 0.86 when the answer was 0.860 so i changed my answer to 75.0% at the last second to be on the safe side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LearningMath)
    C, because there was a large, broad peak corresponding to O-H bond in phenols and several peaks corresponding to an aromatic ring. I also added that there wasnt a peak at C=O to suggest a carboxylic acid.
    Same again, good to see that i didn't mess up all the easy questions at least. Only changed my answer from ethanoic acid to propanoic acid after we were told to put our pens down, its always the easy one's that fool me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TWP1992)
    for the TG one could you say that the H20 acts as a plasticiser
    Thats what i put, couldn't think of anything else in the specification that could apply to a question like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fab cesc)
    Thats what i put, couldn't think of anything else in the specification that could apply to a question like that.
    yeah, i mentioned all the hydrogen bonding etc between the layers and then went on to how they act as plasticizers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fab cesc)
    General rule is use 3 sig figures unless it says otherwise. I remember seeing in a past paper they took a mark off for putting 0.86 when the answer was 0.860 so i changed my answer to 75.0% at the last second to be on the safe side.
    Whilst this did work out (3sf was right), the general rule is to follow what the question gives. You might have noticed that all the values given in the question (for mass, concentrations, titre volumes etc.) were to 3sf (deliberately). This is what they want you to look for, thankfully it is nearly always either 3sf or 2dp.

ReputationRep:
    Damn got that mass question wrong then. I was really confused on it but will get some marks as idid do the right thing at first. Got 45% in the end. Ah well, I didn't find it that bad and reading some other peoples answers I'm quite glad mine was similar

ReputationRep:
    Pretty good I think I realised on that phosphate to deoxyribose thingy I did ribose though But i'm pretty sure I got it right so maybe i'll get 1 out of the 2? Dunno

Definitely much better than my bio paper though. HERE IS A SEAL. HERE IS A SEAL AGAIN. HERE'S ANOTHER SEAL. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ziffachan)
    Pretty good I think I realised on that phosphate to deoxyribose thingy I did ribose though But i'm pretty sure I got it right so maybe i'll get 1 out of the 2? Dunno

Definitely much better than my bio paper though. HERE IS A SEAL. HERE IS A SEAL AGAIN. HERE'S ANOTHER SEAL. Thanks.
    Were they two links from the dexyribose to phosphate do you know?
    That question baffled me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dem Chem)
    Were they two links from the dexyribose to phosphate do you know?
    That question baffled me?
    You get a condensation reaction because the sticky out OH on the deoxyribose and one of the OHs on the phosphate I think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ziffachan)
    You get a condensation reaction because the sticky out OH on the deoxyribose and one of the OHs on the phosphate I think...
    yeah i got that but, it confused me because i thought the phosphate was meant to be on the top left OH of the deoxyribose, but the O- was on the otherside so i used the right hand side so i eliminated the right hand side OH group, do you think it would matter which OH on the deoxyribose you eliminated?

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was a really good exam. 75.0% for the mass one, and alot of others in my class got this, so I think its correct. I thought it was quite easy to do in the time limit, and no really hard questions

ReputationRep:
    I put 74.9% for the mass question because i did the mass of copper to 3sf cos I thought 75.0% sounded retarded :o: think i'll still get all the marks? In the past papers for questions liek that it's always been something like 34.8 or 34.9 or whatever so HOPEFULLY i'll get all 6...

ReputationRep:
    has anybody got this jan 2010 paper???

ReputationRep:
    What are you guys predicting for thursday? hopefully i got an A from what i remember it was a good paper.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping for a B.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully got an A; if i'm lucky I might've got 90% or more which is what I really need...

ReputationRep:
    Not sure what happened with this. I knew the entire revision guide for the 4 AS topics off by heart and felt the exam went really well but i only ended up with a low A, no way i'm going to get an A* now .

ReputationRep:
    YAY, I got A in this exam and A in the Biology

ReputationRep:
    Full marks WOW

ReputationRep:
    76...quite disappointed...want a retake

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.