Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Am new to this site and I really need help. Ok so, I wanted to do medicine since i was a little child. I did good in my GCSES but then my highers (was in scotland at that time) were not so good actually after my GCSES I did really bad in highers so the idea of me getting into medicine was out of the window. I went to college did a bsc science (got As and Bs in all modules) which could have got me into 2nd year in uni. However, I decided not to go to that uni because it was too far from where I lived. instead I applied for pharmacology I got accepted but only to do the 1st year all over again, I finished my 1st year got Bs and Cs and then .......... I got married :eek3: and moved to england it was here I found out that you could apply for medicine after you finish your 1st degree however after doing a bit of research over the internet I came to acknowledge that they have foundation courses to get into medicine :woo: I know that the unis have set some rules to who can get on to the foundation for medicine. I have some personal health care related experience, am also starting a job as an infant feeding adviser now my real concern is whether any uni will accept me with the academic background I’ve got??? I don’t know if I should apply to medicine or finish my degree and then apply; any advice would be really appreciated

p.s. sorry for such a long essay:o:

ReputationRep:
    Finish your degree. Dropping out shows a lack of commitment, which is exactly what medical schools don't want. And presumably if you're doing Pharm you have science subjects, which makes you ineligible for a lot of foundation courses.

ReputationRep:
    above person is right.
    finish your degree then you will have the same chance as everyone else.

best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, basically if you have applied for a science degree you will not be eligible for foundation years as these are aimed at people who have good grades but in more arty subjects.

You've already given up on one course, to drop out on another would basically be the nail in the coffin as you'll have to tell them what you've been doing since you left school. Dropping out of two courses will look terrible. You have to finish a degree and apply for graduate, but you have to get a 2:1 or a 1st to meet entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisblade)
    Yeah, basically if you have applied for a science degree you will not be eligible for foundation years as these are aimed at people who have good grades but in more arty subjects.

You've already given up on one course, to drop out on another would basically be the nail in the coffin as you'll have to tell them what you've been doing since you left school. Dropping out of two courses will look terrible. You have to finish a degree and apply for graduate, but you have to get a 2:1 or a 1st to meet entry requirements.
    Some of the foundation courses (e.g. UEA 6 yr, Soton BM6) are aimed at people who have the right subjects but the wrong grades provided they meet specific socioeconomic criteria. Probably not relevant for the OP but just FYI

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.