Turn on thread page Beta

Did God really tell Joan of Arc to recover her homeland from English dominance? watch

Announcements
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    Well you can't be certain, the best you can do is speculate (just like you can only speculate the existence of God, it can't be proven or disproven).
    There is no evidence that requires Gods existence.

It would be nice if there was, but unfortunately i can always get what i want.

God can never be disproved not because, the answers to the big questions will not everntually be found, but because god and religion makes no predictions about anything, has nothing which can be tested.

So there really is nothing to disprove.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vas876)
    God did not tell anyone anything!

/thread.
    Quite a compelling statement.

ReputationRep:
    Well you can't be certain, the best you can do is speculate (just like you can only speculate the existence of God, it can't be proven or disproven).
    I guess so, in the same way that I can only speculate on the existence of fairies...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    I guess so, in the same way that I can only speculate on the existence of fairies...
    :rolleyes:

Haven't heard that one before.

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes:

Haven't heard that one before.
    Well that's because it's a fair argument.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's because it's a fair argument.
    Not really, because it's intended as more of a derogatory statement than an argument. And you can't exactly compare one thing that's almost universally regarded as a myth to another thing that's almost universally regarded as possible, especially when both of them have completely different origins, meanings, functions, purposes, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, because it's intended as more of a derogatory statement than an argument. And you can't exactly compare one thing that's almost universally regarded as a myth to another thing that's almost universally regarded as possible, especially when both of them have completely different origins, meanings, functions, purposes, etc.
    God v. Santa Claus

A fair comparison. No?

Let's take a survey. Who is real?

ReputationRep:
    It is not intended as a derogatory statement, it is simply a comparison between two beliefs that have similar levels of evidence to back them up.

Just because religion is universally accepted doesn't make it any more true than believing in fairies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    God v. Santa Claus

A fair comparison. No?

Let's take a survey. Who is real?
    No.

It is not intended as a derogatory statement, it is simply a comparison between two beliefs that have similar levels of evidence to back them up.

Just because religion is universally accepted doesn't make it any more true than believing in fairies.
    In that case, I can tell you that I did jumping jacks in my room this morning. I have absolutely no tangible evidence to prove it, so that puts it on the same level as God and fairies, doesn't it? My word is as good as anyone who's ever claimed to have experienced God.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No.

In that case, I can tell you that I did jumping jacks in my room this morning. I have absolutely no tangible evidence to back me up, so that puts it on the same level as God and fairies, doesn't it?
    From your view point.

Why is a god required?

ReputationRep:
    From your view point.

Why is a god required?
    For what?

ReputationRep:
    No, because God doesn't exist.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    For what?
    Why is god required to exist?

ReputationRep:
    Why is god required to exist?
    Who said he's required to exist?

ReputationRep:
    God did not tell anyone anything!

/thread.
    This.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Who said he's required to exist?

Well if there is no need for his existence, then do you base your belief in god on?

ReputationRep:
    In that case, I can tell you that I did jumping jacks in my room this morning. I have absolutely no tangible evidence to prove it, so that puts it on the same level as God and fairies, doesn't it? My word is as good as anyone who's ever claimed to have experienced God.
    What are jumping jacks?

And no, because if jumping jacks is some sort of game then it is probably entirely plausible. Whereas fairies and God and Santa Claus are.... less so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Entangled)
    Hold on, I'll just pop over and ask her.

Nope, apparently not. Fine cup of tea though.
    This is a lie... the french cannot make good tea...

(i don't actually like tea, its so bland and boring, just like the french really... :P

ReputationRep:

Just because you don't accept the evidence doesn't mean it's non-existent.

ReputationRep:
    Well if there is no need for his existence, then do you base your belief in god on?
    Believing in something doesn't mean it's required. It's not relevant anyway, because what I'm arguing right now is the fallacy of comparing the existence of a deity to a known fairy tale. And even that's technically off-topic as well.

What are jumping jacks?

And no, because if jumping jacks is some sort of game then it is probably entirely plausible. Whereas fairies and God and Santa Claus are.... less so.
    The exercise.

The plausibility of jumping jacks existing doesn't really matter though, the argument here is simply about assertions without evidence. If I were to tell you I was doing jumping jacks in my room and then tell you God talked to me, you're going to believe the first part without any evidence. They may both be just as truthful and real in my mind, but you're still going to decide the second is a lie based on what you believe from your own personal ideology or reasoning. However, neither can be proven so both are equally likely to be false.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.