Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all. I'm posting because I don't know what to do. I was applying for Oxford (rejected), UCL (conditional), Manchester (economics - BAEcon and BEconSc - rejected) and Bristol (Economics - rejected). I haven't written my predicted grades though (I'm from Poland and I'm going to sit my "A lvl" - new Matura Exam in May, and the grades mostly depends on having a "good or bad day", so it's hard to foresee them), but I have written expected overall (90%). After replying to e-mail from Bristol by my tutor (they have sent me a msg addressed to my tutor by mistake I think, and her mail seems to be lame) they haven't confirmed that they had received the mail with those grades. I know, that I would fulfill the entry requirements (85%,80%, 75% in extended subjects - after mock exams I've got 85% and 2x 90% + overall 90%). Whatsmore, I have received conditional offer from UCL (3x 95% from extended subjects and 90% overall - requirements are really hard to meet), so I don't know what to do - try "Extra" on UCAS and decline my conditional offer from UCL or try to meet their entry requirements... Or maybe there is another option ?? Please help :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Your tutor should have included your predicted grades in your reference, you're not supposed to include them yourself (I presume the UCAS application process is the same for internationals :dontknow:), so that shouldn't be the reason for your rejections.

ReputationRep:
    She has included it in her mail (I've only sent her what I had received from Bristol) after sending the application due to fact that it was hard to predict them before. I had written mock exams, from which I've got those results, so my tutor can easily define predicted grades. The mail, which I have received, was addressed to my tutor, but sent to me AND my tutor. Although, she claims she hasn't received it (I have noticed that the Bristol's mail was addressed not only to me yesterday). Is there another option to obtain a place at those two unis ?? I'm going to send another e-mail to both of them, but I don't know what to expect... Stupid misunderstanding...

ReputationRep:
    You are not supposed to write your own predicted grades, your referee does that.
    Then why didn't UCL reject you?

ReputationRep:
    I did NOT write my predicted grades, my tutor has written it in her e-mail to Bristol after sending my application, but I'm not sure if they have received this msg (her mail is on some silly, Polish page, with bugs for sure) - they have not confirmed it.

There is a note in "Education" section, which says that if it's hard to foresee them, your tutor doesn't have to type them.

I think that UCL didn't rejected me due to this small "overall grades" section ( in "predicted grades" there is "overall" :

Predicted grades

'IV Liceum Ogolnoksztalcace' in Bielsko-Biala (09/2007 - 04/2010, FT)

Poland - New Matura
    New Matura-Poland 90%).

This is the only grade I have written (I'm pretty sure I will get around 90%). They just want to give me a chance - very small, but always a chance. Now, I don;t know what to do

ReputationRep:
    if you're applying for economics at those then I fail to see how an offer of 95% is unreasonable: these universities have been known to give offers of over 40 for the IB - I vaguely remember someone getting an offer of 44 from Oxford, which would be similarly difficult to achieve - I also think UCL's undergraduate economics department is possibly better than Oxford's so a very high offer makes sense. I also am pretty sure I averaged 95% in two of my A levels and I'm dong economics. Just because you meet the criteria doesn't mean you'll be accepted. Dozens of people meet the grade criteria and get rejected. Also the predicted grades issue obviously wasn't a problem given that UCL gave you an offer.

So well done with your UCL offer and it was silly of you to apply to these universities without knowing that they could potentially give you an offer which you don't think you stand a chance of making. Had you emailed their admissions team before applying they would have informed you of their standard offer for the Polish system.

I personally think you should accept the UCL offer, then if you fail to make it take a gap year and reapply for a different subject as you're unlikely to get anywhere in UCAS extra that is anywhere near as good as Oxford UCL and Bristol.

ReputationRep:
    I know a person in my class that is predicted A*A*A, and was rejected from Oxford, Manchester, Bristol and UCL but got into Exeter. And her predicted grades were in her reference.
    And I've read her PS, it was really good.
    She was just unlucky. Might be the same with you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popej)
    3x 95% from extended subjects and 90% overall - requirements are really hard to meet
    I find it almost impossible to get such grades...:eek:
    Anyway, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popej)
    She has included it in her mail (I've only sent her what I had received from Bristol) after sending the application due to fact that it was hard to predict them before. I had written mock exams, from which I've got those results, so my tutor can easily define predicted grades. The mail, which I have received, was addressed to my tutor, but sent to me AND my tutor. Although, she claims she hasn't received it (I have noticed that the Bristol's mail was addressed not only to me yesterday). Is there another option to obtain a place at those two unis ?? I'm going to send another e-mail to both of them, but I don't know what to expect... Stupid misunderstanding...

There are loads of reasons that they could have rejected you for, don't assume it was because your predicted grades were missing because it probably wasn't.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, than lucky me... Do you think that e-mailing admissions tutors makes any sense ? Or maybe this UCAS system is working just like a machine "rejected -> no extra places ? stay at home". I knew that places at UCL are very competitive, and I knew that I would have to meet 90%. But this 90% is a barrier (one failed task and you're beyond those 95%), and is rarely crossed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popej)
    Oh, than lucky me... Do you think that e-mailing admissions tutors makes any sense ? Or maybe this UCAS system is working just like a machine "rejected -> no extra places ? stay at home". I knew that places at UCL are very competitive, and I knew that I would have to meet 90%. But this 90% is a barrier (one failed task and you're beyond those 95%), and is rarely crossed
    Surely now, instead of moaning about the offer they've set you, you should consider whether or not you are going to accept it. If you want to study at UCL in september then you need to get 95%, thats all there is to it.

As you've said, your other option is to try UCAS Extra but you would have to first decline the UCL offer and it is impossible to predict which universities will be in Extra this year. Therefore, do not make any decisions about this until Extra starts at the end of Feb otherwise you might end up in a situation where you have no offers and there isn't anything you are interested in listed in Extra either. There is no guarentee the Extra university would take you at all meaning you could still end up with nothing.

It doesn't seem like you have properly found out why you were rejected from the universities - find out if it is due to your grades, your personal statement or your overall application. There is a possibility for you to write a new PS before you make an Extra application and I notice you haven't used the PS help forums on tsr - if you posted your PS in there we would be able to help you improve it

However, if you want the UCL offer then you will have to do everything you can to try and meet it. Its up to you! The top ranking universities can and do make "impossible" offers as they take some of the best students in the world and yes, one little mistake can prevent you from getting the highest grades but this won't just be the case with you, it will be the case with every single other person they've given an offer to as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.