Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.B.P)
    was it 8 or 7
    Please say it's 8 or I'll cry!!!

ReputationRep:
    52 would be awesome! Are you sure it was that low? -20 marks lost for an A - i may have scraped a B lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.B.P)
    what do you mean?

stage 1 there werent three arcs for each node!
    It's hard to explain without a diagram but basically from the left, after (0;0) there were a pair of nodes - (1;0) and (1;1). To the right of these two there were 3 nodes. Now initially I drew it so that (1;0) could only go to the top one + middle one whereas the (1;1) could go to (2;1), the middle one and (2;2), the bottom one. Then after getting weight 7 and looking over I realised that there was a path from the stage 1 nodes to all 3 stage two ones (2;0), (2;1) and (2;2). So for each node in stage 1 there were three outbound arcs.

I think what I did was correct although I'm not 100%. Either way I do think you'll pick up most marks since its really the method that matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Will1692)
    52 would be awesome! Are you sure it was that low? -20 marks lost for an A - i may have scraped a B lol
    Yep, according to the June 09 mark scheme:

4737:
    A-52
    B-46
    C-40

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coolstoryz)
    4737:
    A-52
    B-46
    C-40
    WOOHOO!!! If OCR keeps up the good work, I predict good things!

ReputationRep:
    This exam was relatively difficult, the past papers I tried were far easier and the absence of inserts made time an issue.

For the weight I initially got 7 but then I realised that there were supposed to be 3 arcs for each node from the first stage to the second, and after redoing the DP I got 8 as the answer.

I lost the last 9 marks of the paper, I didn't really know how to prove the stuff in a concise way, and with only a few minutes to spare I just thought to hell with it.

The June 2009 paper was apparently a LOT harder for everyone than any previous paper, and also contained no insert. The threshold for an A was something like 52 rather than 60/61 which it usually was, so I reckon the grade boundaries will be something similar.

Exams are over for now, that gives me something to be happy about.

Same to everything

ReputationRep:
    dynamic was defiantly 8 cause you can retrace it from the start and see that 8 was the maximum that could travel. The hell is up with the no inserts buisness? Do they want you not to finish the exam. ergh a B in this would be a dream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoshi_105)
    The hell is up with the no inserts buisness? Do they want you not to finish the exam.
    I know! We love inserts! They surely can't expect us to DRAW everything, especially network flows take time because you can't afford to mess up the numbers! Don't worry, I think the grade boundaries will be really low this time. Fingers crossed!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, according to the June 09 mark scheme:

4737:
    A-52
    B-46
    C-40
    wow ive gone from a resit from walking out of the exam to touching a manageable B ish grade ( need B in f maths!)

ReputationRep:
    I got 8 for the dynamic programming, the only questions I got confused with was the last part of the first question....ended up doing another alternating path hahaha and also the game theory question. I kind of went blank on how to find the optimal value of p with 3 equations so I plotted them all on the other bit of graph paper and solved the two that gave the highest intersection...ended up with p = 0....thought this was probably wrong so at the end after all the other questions randomly solved to other intersection and got p=2/7 so technically I answered twice...hope they pick the one that's correct lol

ReputationRep:
    Im pretty sure p=0 because they specifically made it so 2 of the equations had the same gradient, therfore they would never cross, eliminating the need for a graph. Seeing as it didnt ask for a graph this is my conclusion.

Did anyone get the 2nd to last question about an impossible flow of 10? I finished everything but that one, spent a good 10 mins checking for cuts and couldnt find the one I needed.

ReputationRep:
    I got p=2/7 because the equations you should have got were 2p+1 , 2p-1 and -5p+1 and you plot them on the graphs, and 2p-1 and -5p+1 make the highest point under all 3 graphs. Equate and p=2/7. I highly doubt p=0 because that's a bit nasty to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikita_atikin)
    I got p=2/7 because the equations you should have got were 2p+1 , 2p-1 and -5p+1 and you plot them on the graphs, and 2p-1 and -5p+1 make the highest point under all 3 graphs. Equate and p=2/7. I highly doubt p=0 because that's a bit nasty to be honest.
    I agree with p=2/7 lol, saying thats nasty with OCR means nothing mind, they like to torture us!

ReputationRep:
    they like to torture us
    True. I just find OCR hard for some reason. The further maths ocr a level at least anyway. And I'm only in AS now, A2 is probs twice as worse!

ReputationRep:
    True. I just find OCR hard for some reason. The further maths ocr a level at least anyway. And I'm only in AS now, A2 is probs twice as worse!
    Well D2 is technically an A2 module, so it doesnt really get much harder than that, M2 is maybe harder, which i must say despite again i had a shocker in the exam is honestly easy. I found M2 easier than D2, it depends on the person to be honest. The hardest is FP2, so if your going to be resitting some from January, my plan is to get on with FP2 now, get it solidly inserted in my brain, that is apparantly aweful! Fp1 can boost your mark, but i need B for Uni which i guess is fairly ok, as long as i have an A in normal maths after all of this! Im dreading results day, looking at damage limitation!
    Also just to add, i keep thinking of when its over and i can boast i got through Further Maths, which will separate you from other people, unless your doing a maths degree of course. Me, im just doing International Business, Finance and Economics haha. Dont really know why i do further maths tbh, couldnt be bothered with anything else, perhaps as im lazy and no coursework, lol
    Also call me stupid but OCR i didnt know has Oxford and Cambridge, which sounds impressive, unlike AQA who have a facebook group against them lol

ReputationRep:
    Dont really know why i do further maths tbh, couldnt be bothered with anything else, perhaps as im lazy and no coursework, lol
    OMG! Same! I'm probably the laziest girl alive and the only reason why I did further maths and maths was because "you don't have to learn anything" and turns out you do. Hope your uni offers go well for you lol and thanks for the FP2 advice. Haven't started it but if I do, I'll revise right from the start. I think my schools planning to do FP3 though Don't know if that's harder

ReputationRep:
    OMG! Same! I'm probably the laziest girl alive and the only reason why I did further maths and maths was because "you don't have to learn anything" and turns out you do. Hope your uni offers go well for you lol and thanks for the FP2 advice. Haven't started it but if I do, I'll revise right from the start. I think my schools planning to do FP3 though Don't know if that's harder
    At least its worth something, unlike other subjects were you work for nothing. Usually you do both fp3 and all applied modules, but you dont need one of them! Only 6 modules for further maths! Im convinced im doing d2 again, convinced of that, kinda did it thinking oh well its easy. But if you master it its real easy marks. If i miss my uni offer il b annoyed but its manchester not oxford and further maths so they may be flexible. If i do a gap year that will be awesome as well!
    Good luck with your results, damage limitation for me,focusing for 100ums in fp1, something i can do lol

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 28, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.