Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are courses outside the Russel Group unis 'worthless'? watch

ReputationRep:
    i was reading this thread here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1164749 and towards the end someone talked about courses from non-russel group unis being pointless and you won't get a good job at the end. i sort of disagree, for why would a university exist like this if you could skip going to it and get the same standard job without going to it. surely if you get a first class degree and do lots of work experience and get involved in your uni, it will be better than a 2.1 from a russel group uni where all the person does is do the course and thats it. what does everyone think? thanks

ReputationRep:
    No, there are some good unis not in that group. However, ex polys are ****. Thread done.

ReputationRep:
    No, they're not worthless. They're probably just worth... less.

ReputationRep:
    Of course not. Although they may be viewed more positively in the media, a 1994 group, or any red brick / plate glass Uni's are fine. Though admittedly ex-polys do get a bad rep, so I wouldn't recommend them, though it depends on what degree you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    there's some fantastic unis outside of the Russel Group such as Durham and St.Andrews, and I don't think their quality of degree is worth less than those within the Russel Group

Ruth xx

ReputationRep:
    ok, i didnt even know this exsisted. 4 out of 5 of my unis are in this russel group but the one i wanted to go to is the one not in the group because i want to stay at home and study. wtf

ReputationRep:
    In principle no ofcourse, to me yes ofcourse

ReputationRep:
    People should learn what the Russel Group is before judging the courses from non-Russel Group unis.

ReputationRep:
    There's some excellent Uni's that aren't in the Russel Group, as someone mentioned earlier like Durham and Exeter that usually rank top 10, so it clearly isn't wholly true.

It would be fair to say though that courses at ex-poly's will almost definitely not have the same prestige as degree's from Russel Group Uni's will, but a lot of these Uni's offer different sorts of degrees, often more vocational.

In reality, the best thing to do is to thoroughly research your course and find out what the best institutions are for it, and aim for them. If they aren't Russel Group but are very widely respected, then people hiring you won't care.

ReputationRep:
    Not worthless, but it depends what you want to go to uni for. If it's for your education then any course you're interested in is surely worth the same. If it's to get a good job at the end then 'lesser' unis may not be of as much use, but they're still not completely worthless...

No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamstar)
    No, they're not worthless. They're probably just worth... less.
    Durham is not russel group nor is loughborough or bath. Top unis though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    No, there are some good unis not in that group. However, ex polys are ****. Thread done.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe when people on here can spell 'Russell Group', or demonstrate even the slightest knowledge of what it is, then I might take their opinions on this matter seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by this charming girl)
    Not worthless, but it depends what you want to go to uni for. If it's for your education then any course you're interested in is surely worth the same. If it's to get a good job at the end then 'lesser' unis may not be of as much use, but they're still not completely worthless...
    This.
    Also if you are look at things like Speech therapy only about 2 of the universities which are certfied by the royal collage would actually be concidered russell group uni's, if that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    Why?
    Give it a think, you'll get there. :poke:

ReputationRep:
    Give it a think, you'll get there. :poke:
    I don't see why it should say anything about the student though or make the degree worthless, if the candidate works hard, does well and has the knowledge needed to do well, all it really shows is where they wanted to study and maybe something about their A level results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    I don't see why it should say anything about the student though or make the degree worthless, if the candidate works hard, does well and has the knowledge needed to do well, all it really shows is where they wanted to study and maybe something about their A level results.
    Wrong.:congrats:

ReputationRep:
    No, my University is like rank 90 or something (Chester) and honestly I could care less what other people think about it.

For my career the University has like over 90% of students getting a job after they leave so my degree won't be worthless then will it?

All of this snobbery about University is silly people trying to be all grown up but just sounding idiotic. Who on earth would want to tell someone that their work for 3 years has been worthless? It is work no matter which Uni you go to.

ReputationRep:
    Wrong.:congrats:
    Why don't you say why I'm wrong then? We already knew you disagreed...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.