Turn on thread page Beta

Are courses outside the Russel Group unis 'worthless'? watch

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion, every university is worthwhile.

The person makes themselves employable, and the university education is a big step in this. The university name does not, for the most part, matter. Only a rare few companies/careers are so elitist that it does.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)

The person makes themselves employable, and the university education is a big step in this. The university name does not, for the most part, matter. Only a rare few companies/careers are so elitist that it does.
    Yay This

ReputationRep:
    No, it's just what rich people say to justify spending so much money on their slightly thick child's education to get them into a traditional university.

ReputationRep:

Theres nothing elitist about it, its simply common sense.

If you were an employer, and faced with two in other ways identical canditates, would you choose the Oxford grad or the TVU grad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeonflux)
    Theres nothing elitist about it, its simply common sense.

If you were an employer, and faced with two in other ways identical canditates, would you choose the Oxford grad or the TVU grad?
    That would never happen. Using non-existant situations is pretty pointless, is it not?
    If they're identical, I may as well do 'eenie-meenie'.

ReputationRep:
    Nah its Oxbridge or nothing really, everyone knows that all the scientists, GPs , bankers etc in the UK went to Russell Group unis.

Seriously, one of the best universities in the UK for Chemistry is Sussex right now, go figure.

ReputationRep:
    St Andrews isn't right
    /thread

ReputationRep:
    That would never happen. Using non-existant situations is pretty pointless, is it not?
    If they're identical, I may as well do 'eenie-meenie'.
    But they're not identical: One has an Oxford degree, the other a TVU degree.

As for that situation never happening, you're correct, but the point I was making was that a degree from Oxford will always be worth more than a degree from TVU. It won't be the only thing that distinguishes 2 candidates, and it might not be the deal breaker, but to say that a person doesn't have an advantage going into a job application with an oxford degree is, well, wrong.

Saying all non Russell Group degrees are worthless is obvious false, but to say that all degrees are worth the same regardless of the uni is just as false.

ReputationRep:
    But they're not identical: One has an Oxford degree, the other a TVU degree.

As for that situation never happening, you're correct, but the point I was making was that a degree from Oxford will always be worth more than a degree from TVU. It won't be the only thing that distinguishes 2 candidates, and it might not be the deal breaker, but to say that a person doesn't have an advantage going into a job application with an oxford degree is, well, wrong.

Saying all non Russell Group degrees are worthless is obvious false, but to say that all degrees are worth the same regardless of the uni is just as false.
    You just said they WERE identical...

The place the degree comes from doesn't make a single bit of difference on its own. What the person knows, does and thinks is important, but that's about the person and not the place.

ReputationRep:
    I don't go to a 'Russell Group' uni and I'm not worried about my career prospects.

ReputationRep:
    You just said they WERE identical...
    Identical in every way except the uni they got their degree from, Jesus learn to read...

The place the degree comes from doesn't make a single bit of difference on its own. What the person knows, does and thinks is important, but that's about the person and not the place.
    Yes it does. Many employers will just chuck an application in the bin without reading it if it doesn't have the right university name on it. The fact is that employers will sometimes get hundreds of applicants for one job, and they have to find some way of differentiating between candidates. They don't have time to interview and discover 'what a person knows, does and thinks' for every candidate, so if you don't have the right degree from the right university you won't even get an interview in order to prove how much you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha_c)
    Why don't you say why I'm wrong then? We already knew you disagreed...
    What it actually shows is that they weren't fantastic at A levels, which either shows a lack of natural intelligence (fine by me) or just laziness.

ReputationRep:
    Identical in every way except the uni they got their degree from, Jesus learn to read...
    Exactly, so as people they're identical...

Yes it does. Many employers will just chuck an application in the bin without reading it if it doesn't have the right university name on it. The fact is that employers will sometimes get hundreds of applicants for one job, and they have to find some way of differentiating between candidates. They don't have time to interview and discover 'what a person knows, does and thinks' for every candidate, so if you don't have the right degree from the right university you won't even get an interview in order to prove how much you know.
    As I said earlier, the name matters for a few elitist careers/employers. :yep:

Back to square one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
    I don't go to a 'Russell Group' uni and I'm not worried about my career prospects.
    This.
    I'm going to a former teacher training college, and I'm not worred, atleast I know my applicaton will be looked at if I decide to do a PGCE there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Installation)
    What it actually shows is that they weren't fantastic at A levels, which either shows a lack of natural intelligence (fine by me) or just laziness.
    Or that some people are smart but bad at regurgitating what's on the A-level mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    If they are identical the tendency would probably be to discriminate against the Oxford grad. After all, the one from Oxford clearly must have been a better student when it came to applying, so either the TVU grad has really improved or the Oxford grad has seriously got worse for them to be identical in every regard except the institution.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Jamstar)
    No, they're not worthless. They're probably just worth... less.
    This... although obviously it varies between subjects. Medicine, for example, Vet science, engineering, and something like Music will be good at unis outside the russel group. Also I don't think York or Exeter universities are in the R group but they're really good Unis... so yeah.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, so as people they're identical...
    An employer doesn't look at an application as a person, thats the point, they can't meet everyone and discover what they are all like as people so they have to make some decisions based on their limited knowledge. As candidates an Oxford grad and TVU grad are not identical.

As I said earlier, the name matters for a few elitist careers/employers. :yep:

Back to square one...
    It's not a few elitist careers/employers, pretty much any employer/industry will discriminate based on university where there are many applications for few places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    If they are identical the tendency would probably be to discriminate against the Oxford grad. After all, the one from Oxford clearly must have been a better student when it came to applying, so either the TVU grad has really improved or the Oxford grad has seriously got worse for them to be identical in every regard except the institution.
    Or the TVU grad has completely overestimated his qualifications with regard to that job, and his application is immediately thrown in the bin.

ReputationRep:
    An employer doesn't look at an application as a person, thats the point, they can't meet everyone and discover what they are all like as people so they have to make some decisions based on their limited knowledge. As candidates an Oxford grad and TVU grad are not identical.
    Even on a two-page CV two people will be different. Still, we're going around in circles now, so meh.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.