Turn on thread page Beta

Are courses outside the Russel Group unis 'worthless'? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    No.
    wow, can I just ask, how did you manage to write a personal statement for english with history AND medicine? not only that, but get offers too...that is incredible!

ReputationRep:
    in general yes, however there are exceptions (durham, bath, exeter etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candytreeman)
    It does kind of, from the technical definition of a polytechnic (as it came from the Bristol Trade School).
    precisely

ReputationRep:
    What about LJMU. It's around 100 in the league tables and I seem to have it ingrained into myself that it isn't very good. Why? Because of what I hear and read about regarding things like this. Just because I go to an ex-poly doesn't mean that I'm of a lower standard than others of higher prestige universities. Yes, I got lower grades but am performing well at degree level. OK, I do have to admit that my journalism course isn't that academically challenging but it's not supposed to be because it's vocational. I know someone who went to a poly and a redbrick to study English and did say that there was a lighter work load. Anyway, I'm switching next year to English and Creative Writing because that's really my passion and hope to keep doing well.

It's great to know that when I do graduate their will be those who think that my degree is 'worthless'. I think people need to stop being so narrow minded as university prestige isn't the sole deciding factor on the worthiness of a degree and from what I've heard when it comes to getting a job employers don't really care where you have been to study (the exceptions being law etc where prestige does matter) so I do think we need to move on from silly, pathetic discussions such as this as it is not worthy of much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magic Potion)
    What about LJMU. It's around 100 in the league tables and I seem to have it ingrained into myself that it isn't very good. Why? Because of what I hear and read about regarding things like this. Just because I go to an ex-poly doesn't mean that I'm of a lower standard than others of higher prestige universities. Yes, I got lower grades but am performing well at degree level. OK, I do have to admit that my journalism course isn't that academically challenging but it's not supposed to be because it's vocational. I know someone who went to a poly and a redbrick to study English and did say that there was a lighter work load. Anyway, I'm switching next year to English and Creative Writing because that's really my passion and hope to keep doing well.

It's great to know that when I do graduate their will be those who think that my degree is 'worthless'. I think people need to stop being so narrow minded as university prestige isn't the sole deciding factor on the worthiness of a degree and from what I've heard when it comes to getting a job employers don't really care where you have been to study (the exceptions being law etc where prestige does matter) so I do think we need to move on from silly, pathetic discussions such as this as it is not worthy of much.
    Come back after you graduate and get a 25k+ starting salary and tell us that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magic Potion)

from what I've heard when it comes to getting a job employers don't really care where you have been to study

What an unbelieveably naive thing to say!
    It is the first thing asked by any employer worth their salt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    from what I've heard when it comes to getting a job employers don't really care where you have been to study

If that was the case, then all departments in new universities would have low graduate prospect scores. However, that is not the case, particularly in vocational disciplines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Come back after you graduate and get a 25k+ starting salary and tell us that.
    Arts graduates with a 25k+ salary are a novel thing, regardless of their university.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I may have made myself clear. Yes, they care but only to an extent. For a degree like English I wouldn't have thought it makes a big difference unless it comes from Oxbridge. It depends on what job you want to go into as well, I suppose. Doesn't what classification of degree you and how you are as an individual come into play too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)

It's unbelievably naive to think that it's the main thing on their mind :rolleyes:

... EXPERIENCE, degree type, degree classification, personality, then maybe where you studied. Given that a lot of the most relevant vocational degrees are from ex-poly's, I can only assume that you don't know what you're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    If that was the case, then all departments in new universities would have low graduate prospect scores. However, that is not the case, particularly in vocational disciplines.
    Indeed, in fact the small difference across the table is quite remarkable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candytreeman)
    Given that a lot of the most relevant vocational degrees are from ex-poly's, I can only assume that you don't know what you're talking about.
    Surely where relavent vocational degrees come from ex-polys the company down mark other universities instead...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Surely where relavent vocational degrees come from ex-polys the company down mark other universities instead...
    Well yeah, exactly. It's just such a wide generalization. Most graduate law conversions are offered at ex-polys, as are some of the best MBAs.

ReputationRep:
    That claim is really confusing! Surely, other universities must have some sort of value compared to the Russell group universities.
    For example, I'm having a hard time choosing where to go to for Environmental Science between East Anglia and Newcastle/York/Edinburgh, since the former isn't in the Russell Group; but I hear they have an excellent Environmental Science department, get my point?

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.