Turn on thread page Beta

I want to sleep all day watch

ReputationRep:
    Even if I go to bed at a reasonable hour, say 11pm, I can happily turn off my alarm the next morning and continue to sleep until 3pm. If I wanted to, I'm sure I could sleep the entire day. I do this every time I have a day with no lectures. Is something wrong with me or is this just laziness? And how do I get out of the cycle?

ReputationRep:
    i do this. the doctor says that i should just "not let myself sleep at inappropriate times" it works a bit i guess.. plus mega amounts of coffee..

ReputationRep:
    I had this trouble for a long time. I think its all about getting yourself into an appropriate routine. Its probably a good idea to get a blood test to check for things like anemia etc just in case.

ReputationRep:
    Moi Aussi...

You need to want something to wake up for it...

Happy hunting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchkin88)
    Even if I go to bed at a reasonable hour, say 11pm, I can happily turn off my alarm the next morning and continue to sleep until 3pm.
    Put your alarm across the other side of your bedroom. That way, by the time you've dragged yourself out of the warm and reached it, you'll have woken up enough to be capable of stopping yourself from being a lazy buggar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munchkin88)
    Even if I go to bed at a reasonable hour, say 11pm, I can happily turn off my alarm the next morning and continue to sleep until 3pm. If I wanted to, I'm sure I could sleep the entire day. I do this every time I have a day with no lectures. Is something wrong with me or is this just laziness? And how do I get out of the cycle?

I used to have this problem, so what I did (only on nights before early lectures), was have erm.. herbs of which made me go to sleep at a reasonable time.... put a kettle down by my bed with water in it, a cup with a tea bag in it, and had my portable heater facing my bed with the *turn on* side, with clothes on the chair, so when i wake up, I just turn on the kettle, make a tea, and turn on the heater all whilst staying in bed :P , it motivated me to wake up about 2-3 times as much

ReputationRep:
    I've slept until 7pm before

good times

ReputationRep:
    I do this when I'm on holiday from uni i.e now, unless I have something planned for the next morning/afternoon, which is rarely.

My current pattern is sleep from 2am/3am to 2pm/3pm...

ReputationRep:
    Drop out and live the dream. Or buy chocolate covered coffee beans - means you don't have to get out of bed to make coffee, and you get a massive caffeine hit. Pretty soon you'll be bouncing off the walls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jukukiwaiyi)
    I used to have this problem, so what I did (only on nights before early lectures), was have erm.. herbs of which made me go to sleep at a reasonable time.... put a kettle down by my bed with water in it, a cup with a tea bag in it, and had my portable heater facing my bed with the *turn on* side, with clothes on the chair, so when i wake up, I just turn on the kettle, make a tea, and turn on the heater all whilst staying in bed :P , it motivated me to wake up about 2-3 times as much
    This would do the COMPLETE opposite for me. I have a hot drink, heater, and warm bed - why would I get up?!

OP, force yourself to get up. Get up and instantly dive in the shower - after you've showered it's a lot more difficult to go back to sleep. The only think that works for me is to get out of bed INSTANTLY. No lazing, no "in five minutes", no "i'll just have a coffee in bed then get up" - instantly.

Then again - nothing so wrong with it. Time sleeping is probably one of my favourite things to do...

ReputationRep:
    We all do it.

I've had exams recently and i've had to wake up early.

Now though...(and i'm lucky none of my teachers read this)...

I'm going back to sleeping until like 12-1 and going in afternoons only, if at all.

:woo:

ReputationRep:
    I so want sleep right now... :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punkyrocker)
    This would do the COMPLETE opposite for me. I have a hot drink, heater, and warm bed - why would I get up?!

OP, force yourself to get up. Get up and instantly dive in the shower - after you've showered it's a lot more difficult to go back to sleep. The only think that works for me is to get out of bed INSTANTLY. No lazing, no "in five minutes", no "i'll just have a coffee in bed then get up" - instantly.

Then again - nothing so wrong with it. Time sleeping is probably one of my favourite things to do...
    A: Caffeine
    B: Your room won't be cold so that you should be able to get dressed, and get up more easily

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Put your alarm across the other side of your bedroom. That way, by the time you've dragged yourself out of the warm and reached it, you'll have woken up enough to be capable of stopping yourself from being a lazy buggar.
    lol this doesn't work.

I've tried this but I always go back to bed without even thinking. It's like I walk to my alarm turn it off and go back to bed while I'm still asleep and I have no conscious control over it. It sucks but I'm still trying to find a good way to wake up in the morning. I'll report back once I've found a good way.

ReputationRep:
    I do this also, looking for answers. going to try caffine

ReputationRep:
    Get your roommates to hide your alarm somewhere different each night for a week. Get an unbearable alarm. After diving around for 5 minutes looking for your alarm, you'll be wide awake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jukukiwaiyi)
    A: Caffeine
    B: Your room won't be cold so that you should be able to get dressed, and get up more easily
    Caffeine isn't an instant kick, it takes half an hour or so to get to you - I'm just saying that personally that wouldn't work for me, I'm not saying it's a bad idea! However it's harder to get up in winter with the central heating on - when we're warmer we're sleepier in the mornings, so a warm room wouldn't work for me either. Like I posted, the only thing that works for me is instantly getting up and into the shower.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Broderss)
    lol this doesn't work.

I've tried this but I always go back to bed without even thinking. It's like I walk to my alarm turn it off and go back to bed while I'm still asleep and I have no conscious control over it. It sucks but I'm still trying to find a good way to wake up in the morning. I'll report back once I've found a good way.
    I used to do this when I had a loft bed, which presumably involved crossing my room and climbing back up the ladder when my alarm had been turned off...

For me the only thing that works is setting multiple alarms. You could also try putting a TV on a timer so it turns on by itself and you have something to pay attention to while you wake up. Works better than a radio, I find.

ReputationRep:
    I'm having this problem recently too. I'm sleeping 10-12 hours per night, and then requiring a nap during the day.

It's ridiculous, off to the doctors about it in a few days.

underactive thyroid?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.