Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I am in the early stages of my application into the RAF and have recently visited my local AFCO for some advise.
    My 3 chosen trades were Aerospace Systems Operator, Air Traffic Controller or ATCO. I had taken some time to decide which job to choose but opted for ASO, i sent application in to be phoned by the AFCO saying i cannot apply for that position as its closed with no idea when it will reopen. They have said i could put down my second choice of ATC as a Sergeant as i have the qualifications.

I have started my fitness training but i am currently not hitting the required times for the 1.5 mile run.

I was wondering if anyone knows when these trades would be opened again as now i am not sure what to do even though they were all my choices.

many thanks:

ReputationRep:
    There are a few of us in the same boat, I'm afraid, and there's no hard information on when anything will reopen. It's a case of either trying for something which is open, or keeping in close contact with the AFCO until your preferred branches do reopen - bearing in mind vacancies might be limited, and competition quite fierce, so you'll need to be well-prepared to act quickly.

WRT fitness - keep at it, and you'll get there! What are your times like at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    My times are quite shocking at the moment as im struggling to run on a treadmill - im running outside in 15 mins 30 secs
    but on a treadmill 16 mins 35 secs.
    it seems to flare my shin splints up!
    im also working on my press ups which i can do 5-6 and the sit ups 40 in 1 min.

ReputationRep:
    stretch properly before and after to help combatthe shin splints

ReputationRep:
    Ive bought Orthepic insoles (sorry for the spellings) which are designed to combat shin splints and they seem to work fantastic when im not pushing myself too hard on the treadmill but i seem to have absolutely no trouble when im running outside - i have to admit though i need to do more stretches after exercise as well as before.

I will be calling the AFCO tomorrow to let them know which trade i will be going for.
    It may give me somemore time to work on the fitness though.

ReputationRep:
    Try giving your shins a DIY masage as well - get some oil and give it a good firm rub in after your exercise (I hate shin splints)

ReputationRep:
    Shins hurting when running on a treadmill seems quite common, simple advice get rid of the treadmill and go running outside - your times will actually be better for it aswell.

Also did the AFCO say ATC was closed? As I was told it was one of the only open the other day.

ReputationRep:
    that was happening to me you might be increasing the speed to much, i lowered the speed and built myself up and im not getting pain now when i increase it

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure if ATC is closed but aerospace systems operator definately is, ive been given the option of either ATC Sergeant or ATCO! Ive got all the qualifications but not sure if i want to start as an officer.
    Thanks RFC i slowed down the speed on the treadmill and i managed to run the entire length with no pain at all.
    Reply to Jon33 i have to run on the treadmill to pass the PJFT but i do run outside aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Natalie.

I'm an ASOp and I had no idea that the trade was closed to applications. I do know however that we are currently at about 104% manning for SACs so it may be a while before it opens again.

We currently have 27 students at varying stages of the basic trade training course but if what you say is true they may be the last we see for a while!

ReputationRep:
    As for the shin splints, its all about getting "miles in your legs" i.e getting out on the road and putting in the miles. When I first started, on my second ever run I ended up led on a park bench with my shins feeling that someone had just smashed them to bits with a hammer! But that will go away when you start getting fitter and covering more distance. Are you just running the 1.5 miles? If you get into running further distances (4-5mile) your times for the 1.5miler will just keep dropping and dropping!!

ReputationRep:
    thanks ollie2376, i am currently only running 1.5 miles but will be starting to run further from now on, as my fitness is starting to improve i am not getting any pain at all. the problem is i can run the distances outside but on a treadmill im rubbish! but to pass the PJFT i have to run it on a treadmill! just gona keep practising until ive got it right.

ReputationRep:
    Just thought id let everyone know ASO has now opened - my Local AFCO called me yesterday to confirm some of the ground trades are starting to open now. so its worth phoning the recrutiment line. They advised me the recruitment process has slightly changed where you have to first register on the raf website then they call you to invite you to an informal chat and the presentation.
    I now have my first formal presentation on 30.03.10 at portsmouth afco.

ReputationRep:
    You applying for ASOp then? Come to boulmer and live the scopie dream!

ReputationRep:
    Applying for ATC now - Sergeant, ASO was my second choice though.
    Gona try and get some time at RAF Shawbury or a local ATC centre so i can see them in action if possible.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.