Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys and gals,

Right i did create another thread somewhere but it was ages ago and i cant find it now...sorry Moderators.:cool:

Right,in my other thread i was just saying i wanted to start learning to drive because im fed up with public transport and friends,its getting me down so much,i want to be more self suffecient...is that how you spell it? lol anyways.....

So ive applied for my provisional...got that now,dad took me to a car park a few weeks ago just to get the very basics of getting the car moving etc and i stalled it the first 5 times lol....But the 6th time i got it moving nice and stopped nice,done a few drives around the car park.

What should i do next you think? im definatly going to need alot more help with the clutch to get rid of my stalling problem,should i continue to learn with my dad for a bit or just book some lessons?

Another alternative would be just to go for Automatic driving lessons rather than a manual as its quicker to learn,easier according to alot of sites...just stuck on what to do realy....im nervous aswell which doesnt realy help things.

Any feedback apprciated!
    laters.

ReputationRep:
    Learn in a manual because you can still drive an auto after you pass. I would book a few lessons and keep driving with your dad as well when you can to improve your driving.

ReputationRep:
    If you have automatic lessons, and sit the automatic test, you won't be allowed to drive a manual car. You will get taught how to use the clutch properly with a proper instructor.

ReputationRep:
    My advice is get a driving instructor and learn in a manual car. The trouble with learning from parents is that they may teach you their bad habits, and may also have less patience. If you take an automatic test then it is very restricting and you will have to take another driving test if you then want to drive a manual.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah get a driving instructor, he/she would go through all the basics but noo don't do auto stick with manual you will get the hang of it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replies,

So looks like manual it is then....im just scared of making a total fool of myself when taking my first lesson with like stalling,making silly mistakes etc and getting the instructor frustrated...ive just heard some stories of some instructors going off on one.

Ive not actualy been on the road yet or gone out of first gear lol....thats how new i am to all this....

ReputationRep:
    A clutch and gears really do not take long to master (I promise! You'll get the hang of it in no time!) and frankly, taking an automatic test restricts you hugely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sempron)
    Thanks for your replies,

So looks like manual it is then....im just scared of making a total fool of myself when taking my first lesson with like stalling,making silly mistakes etc and getting the instructor frustrated...ive just heard some stories of some instructors going off on one.

Ive not actualy been on the road yet or gone out of first gear lol....thats how new i am to all this....
    You won't make a fool of yourself! That's why you sign up for lessons, to learn to drive! The majority of the people have never even sat in the driver's seat of a car before, let alone driven any distance! If you didn't make any mistakes, then there would be no need for them! If the instructor does or says anything you don't like, then get another one!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoenixFortune)
    You won't make a fool of yourself! That's why you sign up for lessons, to learn to drive! The majority of the people have never even sat in the driver's seat of a car before, let alone driven any distance! If you didn't make any mistakes, then there would be no need for them! If the instructor does or says anything you don't like, then get another one!

Good luck
    Thats nice to hear and boosted my confidence a bit,But ive got to do it now,I should be having another go in the car this weekend to practice some more of using the clutch and then il probably book some lessons.

Would you recommend going for a small private instructor...or going with a big company like AA or BSM?

Private instructors in my area tend to be around the £20 lesson mark,where AA is £24.

ReputationRep:
    try for recommendations off your friends and family first. Otherwise, I'd first go to an independent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sempron)
    Thats nice to hear and boosted my confidence a bit,But ive got to do it now,I should be having another go in the car this weekend to practice some more of using the clutch and then il probably book some lessons.

Would you recommend going for a small private instructor...or going with a big company like AA or BSM?

Private instructors in my area tend to be around the £20 lesson mark,where AA is £24.
    My instructor is independent and lives a few streets from me, so knows the area really well. She charges me £22 an hour, but I've heard some BSM instructors in my area ask for £27!

I would definitely recommend a small private instructor. As the above poster says, see who your friends or family are/have learned with.

ReputationRep:
    I did manual and automatic lessons, and in the end took the test in an automatic. I'd advise you to learn in a manual - it may take longer, but the benefit will be that you will have more options in terms of cars available to you etc. Then, you can chose whether you want to drive a manual or an auto once you've passed the test. My car is only a 2005 plate and 1.4 engine but because it's an auto I pay £175 a year in road tax, apparently higher insurance than a manual, I am currently only getting 36.5mpg (combination driving - rural roads, motor ways, dual carriageways and towns on a daily basis - probably to do with the seemingly daily crashes on the way to work and hold ups with journeys taking me double, so 2 hours instead of 1!) which means petrol is costing a bomb. Manuals are more fuel efficient, and just generally cheaper. I plan on retaking my test in a manual later this year, just so I am not so limited and have the option to drive a manual if I ever need/want to in the future. Automatic lessons are usually more expensive as well.

ReputationRep:
    I would disagree with the other posters about going for an instructor right away.

Driving lessons aren't cheap and there are lots of things that your parents/ other eligible drivers can teach you (and more importantly let you practise) for free. You mentioned the first one yourself: clutch control and pulling away etc. You can learn so much about the basic handling of a car simply in an old car park.

Think about how long it takes people to learn how to pull away, change gears, park etc and you realise that if you turn up to the driving school already confident and competent at general handling (pardon the aviation term :P) that your lessons will be easier and, crucially, cheaper!

I taught my gf how to drive over a period of a few months for free (minus some petrol money) and she had 6 lessons and passed first time!

ReputationRep:
    My suggestion would be to build up on the experience you have had driving with your Dad. If you can go out to like a remote country road or a road that isn't busy that will be good for building up lessons. Then you'd be best to get lessons and build upon your experience until you get your full license.

As for the automatic/manual I'd say definately go manual, even if you want to drive automatic cars when you pass, if you have a full manual license you're better off in the long run as you're not restricted to automatic cars only. Hope that's some help!

ReputationRep:
    Learn in a manual, it's not as hard as it first seems! And it's much better, you can get in any car and drive it. I'd say learn with your dad and with lessons, it's best to get a professional point of view as well. Instructors can help you with your exam and things which your dad can't.

ReputationRep:
    Learn as much as you can outside of lessons.

If your dad has the balls, get him to take you on the road as soon as you learn to change gear without stalling.

Alternately, have a driving instructor for a few lessons, then go out with your dad for a couple of months while you get used to driving, then go back to your instructor so he can teach you to pass the test.

If you have to have more that 15 lessons then you're wasting your money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schleigg)
    pardon the aviation term :P)
    This reminds me of the old joke:

Q: When you're at a party, how can you tell who is the guy with the private pilots licence?

A: Don't worry, he'll tell you within 5 minutes anyway.

It's funny because it's true...

ReputationRep:
    Learning to drive is not entirely equal to learning to pass your driving test! You truly learn how to drive in the year after you've passed your test. Experience is a biggie.

OP learn in a manual, and get lessons. You'll probably pick up your dad's bad habits!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    This reminds me of the old joke:

Q: When you're at a party, how can you tell who is the guy with the private pilots licence?

A: Don't worry, he'll tell you within 5 minutes anyway.

It's funny because it's true...

Nice try, but I don't have a private pilot's licence. I'm not remotely interested in that.

ReputationRep:
    Well i booked my driving lessons last night....start next week!

Yehaaaaaa

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.