Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.
    Anyone else taking this tomorrow? Any last minute tips?
    I'm hoping to do well, because then it'll only be coursework after this.
    Or do most people take it in June? It is pretty heavily weighted… 120 points, I think. Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! I'm taking this is the summer. How the hell have you managed to get through all the content so quickly? We've only done cause and are half way through nature at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I'm really not sure how we got through it all… I'm hoping we covered everything needed in the short space of time. I guess if we fail then we get to retake in June, so it's alright.

So I'm guessing it's weird that we're taking this now? Nobody else?? :/

ReputationRep:
    How did it go? I've still got loads to cover in school before I'll be anywhere near exam ready!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steffi.alexa)
    How did it go? I've still got loads to cover in school before I'll be anywhere near exam ready!
    It was okay. It's really hard to tell how everything went with these papers, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I didn't screw up too much.

The three questions were something like:
    1) "Tudor rebellions were the result of regional support given to regional grievances" Assess this view of the causes of Tudor rebellions.
    2) To what extent did Irish rebellions fail as much as English rebellions?
    3) Assess the role of the nobility in the maintenance of political stability.

I did #1 and #3. Causes questions are a godsend but that one was a bit fiddly and political stability isn't my favourite, but I wouldn't touch the Irish question with a seven thousand foot light saber.
    I'll post here what grade I get when the results come. I'm feeling a bit concerned that we did this in half the time that most people get… oh well. I can always retake in June if I fail as much as the 1596 Oxfordshire rebels But my AS results were quite high (85 and 100), so I can afford to perhaps screw up a tiny bit. Though I'd like a good grade.

ReputationRep:
    Got 120 just in case you were wondering. I think it's because I kept constantly referring back to the question and had a clear structure to everything. Good luck when it's you, I'm sure you'll do wonderfully.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BenjiButton)
    Got 120 just in case you were wondering. I think it's because I kept constantly referring back to the question and had a clear structure to everything. Good luck when it's you, I'm sure you'll do wonderfully.
    Wow, what was it out of? If you don't mind me asking, how did you revise and what sort of structure did you use?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, what was it out of? If you don't mind me asking, how did you revise and what sort of structure did you use?
    Out of 120

I learn best by memorizing lists. So for causes I just had a sheet of paper with something like:

Religion —

Economic:
    Tax —
    Enclosure —

Political:
    Succession —
    Dynastic —

And I built on each point to find a couple of strong facts and a lot of synoptic assessment.
    Constantly making links through time and different areas of the country is what they're looking for, since it's a synoptic paper. Make sure that the end of each paragraph refers back to the question, and if the question is something like "How far was religion a cause of rebellions?", then in the paragraph about politics, make sure you compare to religion and assess how far politics was a cause (e.g. whist religion was used to stir up the emotions in the populous [insert example here], the core cause of revolt often lay with dynastic issues in the nobility).
    Try and get links in to Irish rebellions and compare those as well. You don't need to make it complicated at all—simply answer the question and make it run smoothly, plopping in lots of synoptic assessment and examples to justify your points.

Btw, my secret tool for this paper was this website. It's the most course-relevant thing out there. And whilst some of the sections aren't as well explained as others, overall it's fantastic and simple and straight to the point. I have a simple mind so it works well for me. But don't trust that on its own at all—one of the things specified in the top section of the mark scheme is "may make unexpected links". If you make far-out and wild claims, it's okay as long as you justify it with an example or two.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, congrats on your result! This has worried me slightly though, I'm pretty sure this is the module that I am taking in the summer unless there is another very, very similar module I have confused this with! But, we havent learned anything about rebellions in Ireland and I've just looked this up on OCR and it seems to be a pretty integral part of the course! And my history teacher is definate that we have finished the course and are now revising.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.
    Anyone else taking this tomorrow? Any last minute tips?
    I'm hoping to do well, because then it'll only be coursework after this.
    Or do most people take it in June? It is pretty heavily weighted… 120 points, I think. Yeah.
    well done on your mark! I'm on OCR but we did the coursework first (Peter the Great and 18th century Russia) and I have this exam in June.

Any advice you could give me at all? Anything paticular to "watch out for" so to speak? I really want a strong A in this subject , I'd be very grateful

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! I'm taking this is the summer. How the hell have you managed to get through all the content so quickly? We've only done cause and are half way through nature at the moment!
    Did you start studying the period in January, or eptember along with the coursework? I stated in January and we're coming up to the end of Edward's reign at the moment, I feel as though we're going a little slow :/

ReputationRep:
    Out of 120

I learn best by memorizing lists. So for causes I just had a sheet of paper with something like:

Religion —

Economic:
    Tax —
    Enclosure —

Political:
    Succession —
    Dynastic —

And I built on each point to find a couple of strong facts and a lot of synoptic assessment.
    Constantly making links through time and different areas of the country is what they're looking for, since it's a synoptic paper. Make sure that the end of each paragraph refers back to the question, and if the question is something like "How far was religion a cause of rebellions?", then in the paragraph about politics, make sure you compare to religion and assess how far politics was a cause (e.g. whist religion was used to stir up the emotions in the populous [insert example here], the core cause of revolt often lay with dynastic issues in the nobility).
    Try and get links in to Irish rebellions and compare those as well. You don't need to make it complicated at all—simply answer the question and make it run smoothly, plopping in lots of synoptic assessment and examples to justify your points.

Btw, my secret tool for this paper was this website. It's the most course-relevant thing out there. And whilst some of the sections aren't as well explained as others, overall it's fantastic and simple and straight to the point. I have a simple mind so it works well for me. But don't trust that on its own at all—one of the things specified in the top section of the mark scheme is "may make unexpected links". If you make far-out and wild claims, it's okay as long as you justify it with an example or two.
    Thank you!

(Original post by x-lolarose-x)
    Did you start studying the period in January, or eptember along with the coursework? I stated in January and we're coming up to the end of Edward's reign at the moment, I feel as though we're going a little slow :/
    I haven't been to lessons in a while, but we started it in September and have covered causes, nature (location, numbers, tactics etc) and how the government dealt with it for the entire period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinchofsunshine)
    Wow, congrats on your result! This has worried me slightly though, I'm pretty sure this is the module that I am taking in the summer unless there is another very, very similar module I have confused this with! But, we havent learned anything about rebellions in Ireland and I've just looked this up on OCR and it seems to be a pretty integral part of the course! And my history teacher is definate that we have finished the course and are now revising.
    Thanks =)
    Rebellions in Ireland are a pretty small part of the course. But this January there was a whole question devoted to them. I must admit that I barely knew anything about them either—I just memorized the basic facts. That was the names of all four rebellions, their size, dates, causes and a key fact (such as Papal support or whatever).
    Irish rebellions were only added very recently to the paper. This January exam, as far as I understand, was the first in their 'new specification', which extended to Irish rebellions and added in a few smaller rebellions (Like the Oxfordshire rebellion). It's possible that your teacher is still teaching the old spec?
    If you want overviews of the Irish rebellions then check out the link in my last post, where the blogger has updated her list of rebellions to cover every one in the specification. It's good to note the differences between English and Irish rebellions in nature, causes, frequency etc. But if you're anything like me, then you'll avoid any questions focusing on Ireland like the plague.

(Original post by x-lolarose-x)
    well done on your mark! I'm on OCR but we did the coursework first (Peter the Great and 18th century Russia) and I have this exam in June.

Any advice you could give me at all? Anything paticular to "watch out for" so to speak? I really want a strong A in this subject , I'd be very grateful
    I guess just make sure you're always comparing and reaching judgements. Finish each paragraph with a reference back to the question and don't stray too far away from the question ever. Make sure you write clearly and there's no need to overcomplicate it and make a mess at all, just stay in control and in focus. And there's no need to panic or anything if you get a question that you don't like. Just try your best to make sense of it and answer it in your own way.
    Like for the question "Tudor rebellions were the result of regional support given to regional grievances", I had no idea how to answer it but I just tried to make it seem like I was in control, so I did a paragraph on the regional nature of rebellions and then one paragraph for each major cause with an emphasis of assessing the relation to regional support and grievances. I expect there are many different ways to answer each question, so don't freak out if it's an obscure question which you don't feel ready to handle.
    Just remember that this paper is all about structure and synopsis. And you should be fine if you keep cool :cool:

Oh and don't answer in a completely chronological order unless there's nothing else you can do!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks =)
    Rebellions in Ireland are a pretty small part of the course. But this January there was a whole question devoted to them. I must admit that I barely knew anything about them either—I just memorized the basic facts. That was the names of all four rebellions, their size, dates, causes and a key fact (such as Papal support or whatever).
    Irish rebellions were only added very recently to the paper. This January exam, as far as I understand, was the first in their 'new specification', which extended to Irish rebellions and added in a few smaller rebellions (Like the Oxfordshire rebellion). It's possible that your teacher is still teaching the old spec?
    If you want overviews of the Irish rebellions then check out the link in my last post, where the blogger has updated her list of rebellions to cover every one in the specification. It's good to note the differences between English and Irish rebellions in nature, causes, frequency etc. But if you're anything like me, then you'll avoid any questions focusing on Ireland like the plague.

I guess just make sure you're always comparing and reaching judgements. Finish each paragraph with a reference back to the question and don't stray too far away from the question ever. Make sure you write clearly and there's no need to overcomplicate it and make a mess at all, just stay in control and in focus. And there's no need to panic or anything if you get a question that you don't like. Just try your best to make sense of it and answer it in your own way.
    Like for the question "Tudor rebellions were the result of regional support given to regional grievances", I had no idea how to answer it but I just tried to make it seem like I was in control, so I did a paragraph on the regional nature of rebellions and then one paragraph for each major cause with an emphasis of assessing the relation to regional support and grievances. I expect there are many different ways to answer each question, so don't freak out if it's an obscure question which you don't feel ready to handle.
    Just remember that this paper is all about structure and synopsis. And you should be fine if you keep cool :cool:

Oh and don't answer in a completely chronological order unless there's nothing else you can do!
    Ha, I got a topic that I absolutely HATED for my civil war exam in june, but managed to get 100/100 somehow! Guess it goes to show that it's how you write the essay really thanks for the tips x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 17, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.