Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Today I have noticed that I analyse people too much. When we are sat in a lecture/tutorial and I meet someone new, instead of engaging fully in the task/conversation, I am sat there wondering what the person is thinking, if they are being real/fake, if they like me, what they think of me etc. It is becoming a real problem. It stems from bad school experiences. I used to be extremely confident, but now I just fake it.

It's weird, I am great at making friends in different situations. I find most of the people I come in contact with daily to be shallow, only looking for potential playmates instead of being excited to meet someone new, just as a friend or even to just know them. I have made a lot of my friends on nights out because I guess alcohol stops me caring what people are thinking. I am very self-conscious, and have been bullied and been called gay, a loser, a loner, so I worry about all of those things when I meet new people. And when someone new does start thinking badly of me I get quite depressed and spend all my time trying to fix things.

So, how can I stop analysing people so much, and just be as comfortable/go with the flow like they do? I love having a laugh, but find it more difficult to do so with new people/in the day now. Whenever someone in my social group introduces me to someone I am more comfortable, but when I meet people on my own I feel unsure of myself/wonder what they're thinking the whole time.

Also, when I do meet people and find out they are being fake-nice/have a joke about me behind my back, how can I ignore this?

ReputationRep:
    The tendency to analyse other people (that you're talking about) sounds more like something introspective.

Ask: Why do i feel the need to analyse people?

When you say that you are wondering what they are thinking, what they are thinking about you - it comes across as a little bit paranoid - It sounds like you are concerned about what they think of you.

The analysis of other people that you see yourself doing, actually sounds more like you are trying to analyse yourself through their eyes (if you get what i mean).

On the joking behind your back thing - turn around and kick them in the nuts - you'll feel ten times better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Today I have noticed that I analyse people too much. When we are sat in a lecture/tutorial and I meet someone new, instead of engaging fully in the task/conversation, I am sat there wondering what the person is thinking, if they are being real/fake, if they like me, what they think of me etc. It is becoming a real problem. It stems from bad school experiences. I used to be extremely confident, but now I just fake it.

It's weird, I am great at making friends in different situations. I find most of the people I come in contact with daily to be shallow, only looking for potential playmates instead of being excited to meet someone new, just as a friend or even to just know them. I have made a lot of my friends on nights out because I guess alcohol stops me caring what people are thinking. I am very self-conscious, and have been bullied and been called gay, a loser, a loner, so I worry about all of those things when I meet new people. And when someone new does start thinking badly of me I get quite depressed and spend all my time trying to fix things.

So, how can I stop analysing people so much, and just be as comfortable/go with the flow like they do? I love having a laugh, but find it more difficult to do so with new people/in the day now. Whenever someone in my social group introduces me to someone I am more comfortable, but when I meet people on my own I feel unsure of myself/wonder what they're thinking the whole time.

Also, when I do meet people and find out they are being fake-nice/have a joke about me behind my back, how can I ignore this?

tell them EVERYTHING you analyze/notice about them as soon as you do. trust me it works.

ReputationRep:
    Analyse me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mac29)
    tell them EVERYTHING you analyze/notice about them as soon as you do. trust me it works.
    He's right.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.