Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    The problem is I have come across an arrogance amongst people who claim to work in the NHS,especially online here,Can't say I come across much of it in realife so either these people are lying about who they are ,or they are not as opinionated at work as they know they will be gripped by management. I think it ought to be remembered that the NHS is not 'free' and taxpayers pay their wages. We are not just patients but customers.I think one big problem with a nationalised health service, is the huge bureacracy means some people can hide in the system that have no business working in a hospital, and an attitude amongst some who work for the NHS that you accept what you are give and be glad of it.
    So it ok for private sector workers to complain about working conditions etc but not public sector......right. Alot of people on here who complain but not when at work do it out of respect for the patients and to try to keep moral up. Sometimes you just have to rant be it online or to your friends.

(Original post by Ministerdonut)
    I have to say if anyone of my family was spoken too like that while undergoing cancer treatment ,that nurse would have a very unpleasant experience and feeling tired would be the least of her problems. Mistakes happen, but callousness is a whole other thing.
    yes she shouldnt have said what she did but assualts on NHS staff are not acceptable no matter what the circumstances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brokenangel)

yes she shouldnt have said what she did but assualts on NHS staff are not acceptable no matter what the circumstances

oh im sorry but a verbal assult on her WOULD have been acceptable, how would you feel to have her say something like to your partner while he was going through cancer, its not nice at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    oh im sorry but a verbal assult on her WOULD have been acceptable, how would you feel to have her say something like to your partner while he was going through cancer, its not nice at all

no verbal assaults are also against trust policies. Most people working in healthcare WILL have said something and suddenly realise 'crap i shouldn't have said that' or may have worded something differently- the nurse probably just wasn't thinking, tired..or just whatever, it may have been a simple, one off mistake- and didn't deserve a verbal assault, just a request for an apology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I<3LAMP)
    I do think the person who posted about her bf's experience with cancer and his dimwitted doctor is an exception. That ***** needs a slap in the mouth.

Reminds me when I was born my mother couldnt stop me screaming...the nurse said something along the lines of " can't you get her to shut up?" . My mum after 24 hours of painful labour, tearing and transfusion punched her in the face til she was flat on the floor.

Priceless
    So your mum attacked a woman into submission who spent her time assisting her and listening to screaming and abuse all day long?

Classy woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    no verbal assaults are also against trust policies. Most people working in healthcare WILL have said something and suddenly realise 'crap i shouldn't have said that' or may have worded something differently- the nurse probably just wasn't thinking, tired..or just whatever, it may have been a simple, one off mistake- and didn't deserve a verbal assault, just a request for an apology

i dont actually care if it was a 'mistake' or she meant to word it differently (sorry but theres no way you could word that to make it ok to say to a cancer patient) its out of order no matter how you word it

if she was tired she should have got more sleep (it was at the start of her shift btw so its not like she had worked for any amount of time before hand)

and anyway i dont care, like i say there is NO excuse and there is NO justifying it IMO, it should not have been said no matter how tired/pissed off she was, i dont care, you do not say that **** to a cancer patient

ReputationRep:
    i dont actually care if it was a 'mistake' or she meant to word it differently (sorry but theres no way you could word that to make it ok to say to a cancer patient) its out of order no matter how you word it

if she was tired she should have got more sleep (it was at the start of her shift btw so its not like she had worked for any amount of time before hand)

and anyway i dont care, like i say there is NO excuse and there is NO justifying it IMO, it should not have been said no matter how tired/pissed off she was, i dont care, you do not say that **** to a cancer patient

it was unacceptable, but she's a human- just ask for an apology, don't insult her and abuse her

ReputationRep:
    it was unacceptable, but she's a human- just ask for an apology, don't insult her and abuse her
    well its a bit late now since it was 5 or so years ago lol

but its something that will always stick in my mind, human or not its still unacceptable

ReputationRep:
    So it ok for private sector workers to complain about working conditions etc but not public sector......right. Alot of people on here who complain but not when at work do it out of respect for the patients and to try to keep moral up. Sometimes you just have to rant be it online or to your friends.

Not what I was saying at all. I believe in nurses unions etc and feel that nurses should be able to voice concerns about their working conditions. It's pity for instance members of the armed forces are not able to do it in a similar way. I was making a point about the mentality of some people who work for the NHS that because a service is 'free' it is acceptable for it to be of a lower standard and if anyone dares to complain it is like kicking a puppy.

For instance, people don't have any issue moaning when the Police muck up in some form or have done something unpopular. For instance speed traps or when a Policeman is heavy handed towards someone during a protest. When someone does have a moan they get a great audience. But if anyone dares criticise the NHS it's like 'how could you criticise those caring doctors and nurses, working to save lives and cure cancer and it's FREE'

It's never acceptable to physically attack anyone , but I think it would be understandable ,if a nurse got a slap from an aggrieved relative after making such a remark. Just in the same way you could understand if a nurse was tired and cranky and made a remark without thinking. However, I would think if a nurse made a habit of it, it should be questioned if she was in the right employment and she certainly should be giving a **********.

ReputationRep:
    While I completely agree that she should not have said that, a small part of me wonders whether it was in fact a (very poorly thought-out) attempt at banter/humour with the patient, rather than a callous attack. It was completely tactless, and obviously without having been there I can't possibly know the tone it was said in or anything, but I do wonder whether she just intended to have a bit of a joke with him and it backfired.

Anyway, a lot of the problems on here I can't be bothered to even try and justify/explain. What I will say is that the general public don't seem to realise just how inexact medicine is, that there is almost always room for doubt and diagnoses are frequently not clear at all. Lack of communication is often a problem, but until there are 3 times as many doctors, nurses and other staff, and hospitals do not run at 98% bed occupancy, there often just simply aren't enough hours in the day to talk to patients/relatives as much as we would like. If we could, perhaps people would realise more that their kid's appendicitis wasn't "missed" but the diagnosis wasn't clear enough for some time for it to be worth risking an operation etc, or that granny's cancer wasn't ignored but that she had no symptoms or signs suggesting that she had it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    While I completely agree that she should not have said that, a small part of me wonders whether it was in fact a (very poorly thought-out) attempt at banter/humour with the patient, rather than a callous attack. It was completely tactless, and obviously without having been there I can't possibly know the tone it was said in or anything, but I do wonder whether she just intended to have a bit of a joke with him and it backfired.

Anyway, a lot of the problems on here I can't be bothered to even try and justify/explain. What I will say is that the general public don't seem to realise just how inexact medicine is, that there is almost always room for doubt and diagnoses are frequently not clear at all. Lack of communication is often a problem, but until there are 3 times as many doctors, nurses and other staff, and hospitals do not run at 98% bed occupancy, there often just simply aren't enough hours in the day to talk to patients/relatives as much as we would like. If we could, perhaps people would realise more that their kid's appendicitis wasn't "missed" but the diagnosis wasn't clear enough for some time for it to be worth risking an operation etc, or that granny's cancer wasn't ignored but that she had no symptoms or signs suggesting that she had it.

my bf said her tone showed she wasnt joking, he even asked her if it was a joke and she said 'no you dont know what its like having to do a 12 hour shift on your feet all the time' :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    If we could, perhaps people would realise more that their kid's appendicitis wasn't "missed" but the diagnosis wasn't clear enough for some time for it to be worth risking an operation etc, or that granny's cancer wasn't ignored but that she had no symptoms or signs suggesting that she had it.
    To be fair are the public ever going to accept that science isnt exact but rather an interperatation of the facts pressented in front of us......are they balls. It will always have to be someone fault that it wasnt noticed the second it developed even if the person came to no harm for the wait.

A simple I dont think that was appropriate do you mind apologising to my partner would have done. Then again in rational and aslong as the cancer was undercontrol/treatment i wouldnt be ready to snap at someone over the littlest thing.

ReputationRep:

A simple I dont think that was appropriate do you mind apologising to my partner would have done. Then again in rational and aslong as the cancer was undercontrol/treatment i wouldnt be ready to snap at someone over the littlest thing.
    you ever had a partner suffering with cancer?

ReputationRep:
    you ever had a partner suffering with cancer?
    Partner no, very close relative yes

ReputationRep:
    Partner no, very close relative yes

then you dont know what its like to have someone you are in love with (i dont just mean love like you love a parent/sibling) go through cancer

ReputationRep:
    then you dont know what its like to have someone you are in love with (i dont just mean love like you love a parent/sibling) go through cancer
    Hmm as i said im rational not an overally emotional person when its not needed, yes id be worried but I also didnt take it out on the people TRYING to help.

ReputationRep:

Thats very uncalled for, as much as brokenangel has been rude to me recently, you have no right to say that just because you were 'in love' with someone makes the experience of having someone close to you go through cancer even more harrowing, stressful and upsetting.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm as i said im rational not an overally emotional person when its not needed, yes id be worried but I also didnt take it out on the people TRYING to help.

im not emotional either (if you knew me you would know that) im the least emotional person ever but when my bf told me what she said i saw red

Thats very uncalled for, as much as brokenangel has been rude to me recently, you have no right to say that just because you were 'in love' with someone makes the experience of having someone close to you go through cancer even more harrowing, stressful and upsetting.

i didnt say it was i said she doesnt know what its like to have a partner go through it, same as i dont know what its like to have a close relative go through it, im sure i would feel different if it was a relative than my partner

ReputationRep:
    im not emotional either (if you knew me you would know that) im the least emotional person ever but when my bf told me what she said i saw red

i didnt say it was i said she doesnt know what its like to have a partner go through it, same as i dont know what its like to have a close relative go through it, im sure i would feel different if it was a relative than my partner

I don't think anyone would feel differently, partner, relative or not about that incident

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone would feel differently, partner, relative or not about that incident

i disagree but ok

ReputationRep:
    For the record, my partner IS going through cancer (starts chemo next week). If anyone said that to him and it was clear they weren't joking, I'd be highly pissed off and think they were very inappropriate, might consider mentioning it to their seniors, but verbal abuse is never going to solve anything.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.