Turn on thread page Beta

Getting a 'permanent' job on a gap year - notice periods etc. watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know how people have approached working in a permanent position when they've only been able to commit a few months - perhaps on a gap year (as I am).

Would anyone have a problem with me not letting on that I plan to leave for university in the autumn (I foresee an awkward question at interviews!)?
    I don't think I'm legally obliged to let on and I could twist it a bit afterwards and say that I originally planned to defer entry (unlikely, but possible, in reality).

What about notice periods and all that (I know a minimum of one week must be given, by the employee) - are they tricky or awkward?

I've no experience of this - I've only ever worked as a temp or on short-term contracts.

ReputationRep:
    I got a permanent job on my gap year, just told them at the end that I decided to go to uni after all...notice periods are usually a month after probation.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, just tell a white lie. I got a permament job on my year out which I plan to work until I go to university (which they don't know about) so I'll probably tell them a month before I go that I decided to go in the end.

Mind you, it does make things awkward socially. Like, I can never talk about university stuff, in case my manager says something like ''I thought you said you weren't going'' but tbh everyone is so nice where I work, they wouldn't care!

Edit - be honest, best way :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if that includes working on freelance jobs? Any comments about that?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.