Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How dangerous is Eastern Europe? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Which areas are worth avoiding for two English girls backpacking? I've been planning our trip around Europe and been hearing some really horrible things about places like Poland, Bulgaria, Romania. Is it worth just avoiding them altogether?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burayo)
    Which areas are worth avoiding for two English girls backpacking? I've been planning our trip around Europe and been hearing some really horrible things about places like Poland, Bulgaria, Romania. Is it worth just avoiding them altogether?
    Watch Hostel.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the colour of your skin

ReputationRep:
    Bulgaria and Romania probably. I thought Poland was quite civil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsukuyomi)
    Pale skins get their ass kicked. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tsukuyomi)
    Both white but kind of tanned (European parents), long dark hair.

ReputationRep:
    The main problem in Eastern Europe tends to be a general lack of people who speak English, especailly in rural areas.

Bulgaria & romania are defo. worth visiting!!!

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia and while they aren't as safe as most of Britain, they certainly aren't dangerous enough for that alone to put me off going.

Big problem though is that barely anyone speaks English. Native languages like Polish and Czech are first, followed by Russian and/or German, then *maybe* English.

ReputationRep:
    go on a diet beforehand, i hear they eat the chubby/fat peepz.

ReputationRep:
    its not really dangerous, its just a gigantic **** hole. and theres not many people there any more, because they all live in england.

ReputationRep:
    Plus, Czech republic is really lax when it comes to drug use, both soft and hard drugs.

So, go wild!

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't want to backpack to Eastern Europe. Hell, I wouldn't want to backpack in Europe period if I only had one other person with me.

ReputationRep:
    eastern europe. It's a **** hole anyway. You want eastern european diversity go to the lake district.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they are more dangerous than the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    I've been to Poland, Czech Republic and Slovakia and while they aren't as safe as most of Britain, they certainly aren't dangerous enough for that alone to put me off going.

Big problem though is that barely anyone speaks English. Native languages like Polish and Czech are first, followed by Russian and/or German, then *maybe* English.
    I really want to visit them, but I do think its different being a guy. Girls are more vulnerable. My brother was hospitalised in Slovakia as well, but he said it's worth visiting?! Did you visit these places when interrailing?

ReputationRep:
    warsaw is a boring place, noone speaks english there, polish drivers are crazy, but their isnt that much crime really, just some people there are really poor so you have to be careful. The food is soooo cheap. 5 quid per person for a decent 3 course meal. except prawns are expensive lol like 20 quid any dish with them.

ReputationRep:
    It is fine, don't worry about it. Nothing will happen as long as you have your wits about you! I used to live in Russia and Georgia and at the moment I live in Poland and, as being a girl, I have never had any problems travelling alone. You just need to know some basic words in the native language and keep your mouths shut at some points. Make an agreement between the two of you that when you or the other girl doesn't trust the people around or the situation you have a special signal to use in order to let each other know not to speak English and to get away from the situation. I always used this signal system with my friends.

Have fun travelling!!

ReputationRep:
    I really want to visit them, but I do think its different being a guy. Girls are more vulnerable. My brother was hospitalised in Slovakia as well, but he said it's worth visiting?! Did you visit these places when interrailing?

No, I went by car the whole way. It's interesting to visit in a 'well this is very different and therefore quite interesting' kind of way, but as a holiday destination, it's rubbish. It's mostly very poor and neglected and it really shows. If you're just curious then go for a day or two but it really isn't a holiday destination at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    I personally wouldn't want to backpack to Eastern Europe. Hell, I wouldn't want to backpack in Europe period if I only had one other person with me.
    Why? Europe is full places worth seeing.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't eastern Europe full of old war criminals?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.