Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How dangerous is Eastern Europe? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burayo)
    Why? Europe is full places worth seeing.
    Yeah, but I'd at least take a bigger group of people with me. Or a car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saar)

Have fun travelling!!
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pretty_boy_x)
    I don't think they are more dangerous than the UK?
    In your don't thinking you are wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Why? Europe is full places worth seeing.

Yes, but from a holiday/backpacking point of view, the same can't but said of places worth staying.

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who lives on an estate in Russia; it is populated by AK's and vats of cocaine. Russian is like a cold Burnley, full of interbred chav scum

ReputationRep:
    It'll be perfectly fine, so long as you think about what you're doing and stay out of clearly dodgy areas but I would imagine you'll be headed for major cities anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Bulgaria is very touristy (I went on a family holiday there as a teenager), so while I can't speak for all areas of it (even in England not everywhere is perfectly safe) it's definitely not "too dangerous" to cut out of your trip. I'd say the same for Poland too; I don't know anything about Romania though, so I can't really comment on that but I wouldn't have thought it was particularly dangerous :dontknow: I'd check out the Czech Republic while you're there too, and even Russia if you can get a visa.

Remember, all countries have their dodgy areas and when travelling you need to keep your wits about you, but I wouldn't say any European country is too dangerous to visit so long as you use your common sense and don't go looking for trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    No, I went by car the whole way. It's interesting to visit in a 'well this is very different and therefore quite interesting' kind of way, but as a holiday destination, it's rubbish. It's mostly very poor and neglected and it really shows. If you're just curious then go for a day or two but it really isn't a holiday destination at all.
    Oh right, yeah I did think that. Sorry to keep asking you questions but you seem to know a bit about it. We're planning to go to Belgium, Holland, Germany, Prague, Croatia, Slovenia, Italy, France and Spain. Think we might avoid most of Eastern Europe. Is there anywhere you'd advise going or avoiding?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd love to backpack around Eastern Europe. So much history, and amazing scenery, and some great beaches and opportunities for adventure sports. I'd quite enjoy the fact that hardly anyone speaks English.

I'd take a lot of care still obviously, and wouldn't hitch hike unless you're with a guy that you trust, but seriously, there's no need for people to make out it's Iraq or the Western Sahara!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    Why, you'll meet loads of great people if you go by yourself. Going with friends can also be good, but going by yourself can also be excellent. And come on, it's not really that dangerous. Taking the train about Europe is absolutely fine.

ReputationRep:
    I think a revolver and a couple of anti rape alarms would be better suited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    Why, you'll meet loads of great people if you go by yourself. And come on, it's not really that dangerous. Taking the train about Europe is absolutely fine.
    You'd meet loads of people if you traveled in a group as well. And I know it's not that dangerous (forcing "3guys1hammer" out of my mind for a moment), but it's just not really worth the risk (especially if you're a girl).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuppie20)
    I have a friend who lives on an estate in Russia; it is populated by AK's and vats of cocaine. Russian is like a cold Burnley, full of interbred chav scum
    Yes, of course one estate is representative of the entire country. I mean, it's not as if Britain has any chavvy council estates, is it?

ReputationRep:
    Which areas are worth avoiding for two English girls backpacking? I've been planning our trip around Europe and been hearing some really horrible things about places like Poland, Bulgaria, Romania. Is it worth just avoiding them altogether?
    I wouldnt go to Romania. I'd say that thats one of the more dangerous eastern european countries. I've travelled around to quite a few places in eastern europe, some that i would recommend visiting:

1. Czech - Prague
    2. Hungary - Budapest (Prague and Budapest are very pretty, and somewhat similar.
    3. Poland - just stay in the bigger cities

Slovakia is pretty safe, although there really is NOTHING there - it looks exactly as it was depicted in Eurotrip

And as for Bulgaria, :confused:

ReputationRep:
    All the Polish are in England so you'll have nnothing to worry about. I hear Estonia and Lithuania are nice though.

ReputationRep:
    You'd meet loads of people if you traveled in a group as well. And I know it's not that dangerous (forcing "3guys1hammer" out of my mind for a moment), but it's just not really worth the risk (especially if you're a girl).
    What risk? Any risk is absolutely minimal. Equally, if you go by yourself or as a pair, you'll definitely meet more people because by nature you'll be looking for things to do and so meet more people. If you go as a group, you tend to stick together.

If you stick to major cities, you'll be fine. When did you travel around Europe?

ReputationRep:
    Russia doesn't appeal, don't think you can go there with Interrail anyway which is what we're doing.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes, very friendly, Poland's number one source of income is tourism, primarily anything linked with prostitution, drugs and guns.

ReputationRep:
    No you don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    Yes, of course one estate is representative of the entire country. I mean, it's not as if Britain has any chavvy council estates, is it?
    Lol, I am quite clued up on Russian society. Whereas England is a nice country with scummy bits in between, Russian is a scummy chavvy country, with nice bits in between.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.