How dangerous is Eastern Europe? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    No you don't.
    Yes, I do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burayo)
    Which areas are worth avoiding for two English girls backpacking? I've been planning our trip around Europe and been hearing some really horrible things about places like Poland, Bulgaria, Romania. Is it worth just avoiding them altogether?
    Oh come on, stereotypes. Bulgaria's nowhere near dangerous. And if you're planning your trip based on history, culture, etc., the whole of Eastern Europe is a must.
    I'd pick it any day over Western, but that's just me...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    What risk? Any risk is absolutely minimal. Equally, if you go by yourself or as a pair, you'll definitely meet more people because by nature you'll be looking for things to do and so meet more people. If you go as a group, you tend to stick together.

If you stick to major cities, you'll be fine. When did you travel around Europe?
    That's what I thought, I think smaller groups are more approachable and am up for meeting people when were there!

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, yeah I did think that. Sorry to keep asking you questions but you seem to know a bit about it. We're planning to go to Belgium, Holland, Germany, Prague, Croatia, Slovenia, Italy, France and Spain. Think we might avoid most of Eastern Europe. Is there anywhere you'd advise going or avoiding?
    I think you should add Hungary to the list. Budapest is a really nice city and there's a lot to see. It's not hugely expensive either like a lot of Western Europe can be. If you fancy a day trip into Slovakia then it's only a couple of hours on the train to Kosice where I live but it's very small and probably not that interesting compared to most places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuppie20)
    Lol, I am quite clued up on Russian society. Whereas England is a nice country with scummy bits in between, Russian is a scummy chavvy country, with nice bits in between.
    Who is a Russian chav? :o:

Ti koziol?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I do.
    No you don't, because there are no 'estates' in Russia.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought, I think smaller groups are more approachable and am up for meeting people when were there!
    Yeah, they are definitely. You'll almost certainly have a really good time.

What my friend and I did, was to plan out a rough route and when you get into a new city, as you'll be arriving my train, go straight to the ticket office and reserve a seat on a train to your next city for a few days time. It doesn't cost much to reserve, maybe around five euros or so and it means you're guaranteed a seat. And if you meet other people and want to travel with them, then it's not too much of a lose to alter your plans. That meant we booked our accommodation as we went along, you shouldn't be concerned to do that but as soon as you know where you'll be and when, book accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    No you don't, because there are no 'estates' in Russia.
    yeh you probably wouldn't recognise it, the whole country being a giant one and all.

ReputationRep:
    yeh you probably wouldn't recognise it, the whole country being a giant one and all.
    Well considering the fact that I've lived there I think I would recognise it.

Moreover, most of it is uninhabited, therefore 'giant' doesn't apply as most of it is identical.

ReputationRep:
    It's not dangerous but you need to be as careful as you would be in London for example. There are certain areas to avoid but that's the situation everywhere. If you want to stay in the safer areas, go to Czech Republic, Hungary, Croatia etc. Eastern Europe has so many great places to see and you certainly shouldn't be put off because some people think its crap and dangerous.

I've been backpacking in eastern europe and I absolutely loved it. Prague, Warsaw, Budapest, Lake Balaton area etc. are absolutely beautiful.

ReputationRep:
    Which areas are worth avoiding for two English girls backpacking? I've been planning our trip around Europe and been hearing some really horrible things about places like Poland, Bulgaria, Romania. Is it worth just avoiding them altogether?
    Myself and my boyfriend went travelling around Eastern Europe for 3 months in a campervan and absolutely loved it. There was nowhere we went which was what I would consider dangerous particularly, it was more about using your common sense e.g. if you're just two girls then don't accept lifts from people, be aware of your surroundings and try not to go out on your own late at night in urban areas (or if you do then take taxis to and from places instead of walking around in back streets etc.)

Most of the countries are now members of the EU and while rural areas are still quite poor, most of the cities are not that different to walking around in London. Don't be put off by people telling you it's a ****hole or that it's dangerous. They have clearly never been and don't have a clue what they are talking about. If you want to know anything else about anything on your trip give me a private message and I'd be happy to help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    You'd meet loads of people if you traveled in a group as well. And I know it's not that dangerous (forcing "3guys1hammer" out of my mind for a moment), but it's just not really worth the risk (especially if you're a girl).
    Huh.

Do you ever leave your house without a big group of people? :confused:

If you do, why do you assume that the entire continent of Europe is more dangerous than wherever you live? Bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    Well considering the fact that I've lived there I think I would recognise it.

Moreover, most of it is uninhabited, therefore 'giant' doesn't apply as most of it is identical.
    Then you'll know what it is truly like. He lives in one of the billions of high rises in Russia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Huh.

Do you ever leave your house without a big group of people? :confused:

If you do, why do you assume that the entire continent of Europe is more dangerous than wherever you live? Bizarre.
    Thats like saying Helmand isn't dangerous.

and because policing isn't as efficient and weaponry laws are lax...

ReputationRep:
    I live in Poland and I wouldn't say it's very dangerous here. Though not many places are well worth visiting unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    Thats like saying Helmand isn't dangerous.

and because policing isn't as efficient and weaponry laws are lax...
    Wtf are you on about?

ReputationRep:
    You could always save your money and go to Cornwall...lol

ReputationRep:
    Its like anywhere else in the world... places that you should be careful and places you should just not go into. On the whole its safe.

ReputationRep:
    Then you'll know what it is truly like. He lives in one of the billions of high rises in Russia.
    You do know what a high rise is don't you?

It's the opposite of that.

ReputationRep:
    warsaw is a boring place, noone speaks english there, polish drivers are crazy, but their isnt that much crime really, just some people there are really poor so you have to be careful. The food is soooo cheap. 5 quid per person for a decent 3 course meal. except prawns are expensive lol like 20 quid any dish with them.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.