Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burayo)
    Oh right, yeah I did think that. Sorry to keep asking you questions but you seem to know a bit about it. We're planning to go to Belgium, Holland, Germany, Prague, Croatia, Slovenia, Italy, France and Spain. Think we might avoid most of Eastern Europe. Is there anywhere you'd advise going or avoiding?
    Well I've been to most of those so here's my one-line description of them...
    Belgium - quite nice. Cities and larger towns are interesting enough, countryside is pretty but almost completely lifeless. Smaller towns often appear uninhabited.
    Holland - don't know. Supposed to be good.
    Germany - former eastern Germany is pretty rubbish unless WW2 history is your thing. Otherwise, don't bother with it except for Berlin maybe. The south (Bavaria) is supposed to be pretty good. Rhineland area is fairly upmarket but a bit dull. Nice country but not high up a list of holiday destinations.
    Prague - very nice. Much more upmarket than the rest of the country, plenty of stuff to see.
    Croatia/Slovenia - don't know, but I hear Croatia is becoming fairly popular as it's like other countries on the Med but less expensive.
    Italy/Spain - kind of like France and Belgium, but warmer and with nicer food. Cities especially are supposed to be good but I haven't really seen many of them.
    France - see Belgium.

ReputationRep:
    Im pretty sure that in Romania and Bulgaria almost all speak English - some might not have really good, lol, but its enough.

Its as dangerous as you would go to any other country. I mean, 2 girls, come on. I wouldnt go alone on a trip like this even in Britain - civilized, yeah right ( so many rapes, drug abuse, alcohol abuse,), USA, Sweden or Norway. Another thing may be that you can get higher prices for some stuff, as you are foreigners ( We're talking about holidays on the sea side or at the mountains).
    But what you should watch for are street dogs and gypsies. Other than that - its the same.

I went to Poland last year, Gdansk specifically. The only minor incident I had was on the coach trip from the airport to the city, nobody sat near me, but even that didn't bother me. I had a great time there nonetheless, nice place and you aren't short of finding English speakers in the area

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    You do know what a high rise is don't you?

It's the opposite of that.
    what do you mean. They are flats from Russia no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuppie20)
    what do you mean. They are flats from Russia no?
    Not quite, high rises are skyscrapers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stalin)
    Not quite, high rises are skyscrapers.
    high rises- high rise flats

http://images.google.co.uk/images?hl...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    I personally wouldn't want to backpack to Eastern Europe. Hell, I wouldn't want to backpack in Europe period if I only had one other person with me.
    Hahaha.. ha

ReputationRep:
    So who would neg rep someone over a thread like this? Sheesh. I haven't even seen Hostel, moron. :rolleyes:

(Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Huh.

Do you ever leave your house without a big group of people? :confused:

If you do, why do you assume that the entire continent of Europe is more dangerous than wherever you live? Bizarre.
    Of course I do. I have local knowledge of my area, I know the places to go to, places to avoid. Not only that, but policing is quite a bit more effective in the US and Britain than it is in many parts of Eastern Europe. But even here, it's not recommended in a lot of places that people go walking through town alone at night.

Plus, haven't you seen Taken??

(Original post by MazalTov89)
    I went to Poland last year, Gdansk specifically. The only minor incident I had was on the coach trip from the airport to the city, nobody sat near me, but even that didn't bother me. I had a great time there nonetheless, nice place and you aren't short of finding English speakers in the area
    I don't understand your signature.

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't want to backpack to Eastern Europe. Hell, I wouldn't want to backpack in Europe period if I only had one other person with me.
    Is Europe worse than the USA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Is Europe worse than the USA?
    Depends on the part of Europe, and depends on the part of the USA. There are parts of America I wouldn't go backpacking through alone as well.

And again with the rep! You people have absolutely no lives if someone advising that you TAKE FRIENDS WITH YOU for SAFETY while backpacking across a whole continent really offends you that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Temperley)
    I wouldnt go to Romania. I'd say that thats one of the more dangerous eastern european countries. I've travelled around to quite a few places in eastern europe, some that i would recommend visiting:

1. Czech - Prague
    2. Hungary - Budapest (Prague and Budapest are very pretty, and somewhat similar.
    3. Poland - just stay in the bigger cities

Slovakia is pretty safe, although there really is NOTHING there - it looks exactly as it was depicted in Eurotrip

And as for Bulgaria, :confused:
    Hi, can I ask why exactly? I'm thinking of spending a month there on an organized project. I would be staying with a local family but would be on my own if I decided to travel.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore the scaremongerers, just take the precausions that you would ordinarily take while you're roaming around the towns. The policing around the EU is pretty uniform to say the least, ive been all around Poland and never encountered any problems in the slightest, its definitely no more dangerous than the UK. Just avoid the skin heads and you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    actually the uk is more dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    You people have absolutely no lives if someone advising that you TAKE FRIENDS WITH YOU for SAFETY while backpacking across a whole continent really offends you that much.
    It would appear that it is you that lacks a life if you get so worked up about neg rep and are scared leave home without a group of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n00)
    It would appear that it is you that lacks a life if you get so worked up about neg rep and are scared to leave home without a group of people.
    It's not rep I care about. I simply am compelled to respond to any post that is directed at me, whether it is public, a private message, or a neg rep. So if someone leaves me a neg telling me I'm pathetic for thinking people should take steps to ensure their safety while traveling, I'm going to post about it.

Also, good job not reading my posts where I already addressed the ridiculously idiotic "scared to leave your own home" allegation.

ReputationRep:
    Ive been to Poland many times as my mothers from there.

- Szczecin
    - Gdansk
    - Gdynia
    - Krakow
    - Warsaw
    - Zakopane

Theres really nothing dangerous about it, i would say its more friendly than the UK. It's also very cheap and theres alot to do (food is good, nightlife is good, sights are good). Would definitely recommend it. Have fun

You simply must go to Poland, it's absolutely amazing.

(Original post by manDarinka)
    The difference between Russian bidlo gopi and English chavs is that the former wear ABIBAS whereas the latter wear Burberry. That's about it.

And to anyone who posts **** about Eastern Europe- not like you've been there, so go wash your dirty mouths!
    Yes but you're from the Ukraine.... the only place worth seeing there is Lviv, and everyone knows that isn't really Ukrainian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burayo)
    Which areas are worth avoiding for two English girls backpacking? I've been planning our trip around Europe and been hearing some really horrible things about places like Poland, Bulgaria, Romania. Is it worth just avoiding them altogether?
    Nout to worry about!
    been in and around poland quite a few times (family there and all that) and honestly, theres no problem. Obviously theres crime and ********s about but you get that everywhere. Put it this way, if the place isn't safe, why would little old ladies be wondering round the city centers at 10/11pm at night?

One thing good to note - (in krakow, poland, in particular), you get a lot of straz miejska and ochrona, (basically town guards/security), and police touring the place. It's really quite a secure place.

ONE THING TO BEAR IN MIND, mind the road users, they're the real danger! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Having visited countrys like Latvia, Russia, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Bulgaria, Serbia, Belarus, Hungary, I can admit that the difference of safety in Eastern and Western parts depends on time and a specific area:

If a city is pretty popular among tourists (I mean it has well-developed tourism infrastructure), then of course you may do whatever you want and whenever you want, buuuut if it's a common suburban area, where the mentality is like "hit if you don't know him", then you'd rather stay away of such places

I suggest visiting Vilnius, Klaipeda, Riga, Ventspils, Talinn, Gdansk or something more specific like Krakow, Prague, Sophia...

Enjoy your trip btw!

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.