Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How dangerous is Eastern Europe? watch

ReputationRep:
    My friend and I (both female, early 20's) went to Bulgaria and Romania on our own last year as part of our trip around eastern europe.

Sofia was lovely and we enjoyed it, we both felt safe there. Also you will find plenty of people from other parts of Europe (including the UK) If you head towards the black sea in Bulgaria.

However I wasnt so taken with Romania. Within 10 minutes of arriving in Bucharest station a man had approached us warning us that it 'wasnt safe for women' there... needless to say we were glad to be getting on to a train to Brasov! Brasov felt a lot safer, however we found that you have to be careful that you arent charged too much, especially in taxis. If you go there avoid the market like the plague... we were surrounded by children as soon as we arrived who were trying to sell us flowers/begging.

I would advise sticking to the main towns/cities, dont split up no matter how much you annoy each other towards the end and enjoy how beautiful these countries are!

ReputationRep:
    You want dangerous, try Transnistria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transnistria

ReputationRep:
    I read a book by some chap that visited all the places that a load of Americans listed as damn dangerous (in the States). You know, the SE of Washington DC and other 'hotspots'. He visited (by hitch hiking if possible) all of them, arriving at whatever odd times he happened to get there and proceeded to wander around looking for the reason they had the bad rep. Negative experiences? Basically none.

Who gets all their jabs and all singing all dancing travel insurance? Naive white people leaving their own country for a 2 week break from the safe old west. I know it's shocking, but the moment you get to Slovakia you are unlikely to catch the plague, or Malaria in Ecuador or Rabies in Poland. You won't get mugged the moment you step off the train in Prague or shot within sight of the Ukrainian border.

Is it different? Hopefully.
    Can't wait to give Central and Eastern Europe a proper one over.
    If some of the **** spouted on here means both those who said it and those who blindly believe it won't actually go, awesome :-)

(Original post by manDarinka)
    Learn to spell it you moron.
    Only cz the UK is with a definite article doesn't mean Ukraine is!

hahah im so agressive tonite:mad:
    It's like a non-country, why does it matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harlequin Jester)
    Hi, can I ask why exactly? I'm thinking of spending a month there on an organised project. I would be staying with a local family but would be on my own if I decided to travel.
    If your going to Romania on an organized project I think it should be fine, but as two girls backpacking it would not be such a fantastic idea. I say this because Ive heard that there is a lot of corruption during daytime hours and rabies is very prevalent - I have never been but from what Ive heard from my brother who did Award Scheme there and have read it seems like one of the more undesirable Eastern European countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)

Of course I do. I have local knowledge of my area, I know the places to go to, places to avoid. Not only that, but policing is quite a bit more effective in the US and Britain than it is in many parts of Eastern Europe. But even here, it's not recommended in a lot of places that people go walking through town alone at night.
    Uh, didn't you say that you wouldn't go anywhere in Europe at any time of day without at least two other people by your side?

That's an unhealthy level of paranoia.

ReputationRep:
    POLAND IS NOT EASTERN EUROPE!!!!!!

/explode

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldn't go on a back packing trip all over easter europe as girls get raped and sold (no idea how i can prove that but it happens) Ross kemp's trips to dangerous places like gaza and afganistan could give you a good indicator.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    Plus, Czech republic is really lax when it comes to drug use, both soft and hard drugs.

So, go wild!
    a lot of us were offered drugs while in Prague for our school trip. :p:
    It's creepy at night... but it's nice.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is pathetic. Yeah you get raped and sold in Eastern Europe. Girls there live in constant fear of being dead or made into slaves. And if not that, you get robbed.

I wonder how I survived all these years :rolleyes: I'm from a central-eastern European country and I have never, ever been harassed, pickpocketed or ANYTHING in my country in my entire life. I regularly visit Madrid where I have to keep my bag in front of me, because I've often had strangers' hands inside it. And about walking around at night in dark alleys - do you do that in big cities in Britain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TENDYRAAA!)
    Nout to worry about!
    been in and around poland quite a few times (family there and all that) and honestly, theres no problem. Obviously theres crime and ********s about but you get that everywhere. Put it this way, if the place isn't safe, why would little old ladies be wondering round the city centers at 10/11pm at night?

One thing good to note - (in krakow, poland, in particular), you get a lot of straz miejska and ochrona, (basically town guards/security), and police touring the place. It's really quite a secure place.

ONE THING TO BEAR IN MIND, mind the road users, they're the real danger! :p:
    I'd say that little old ladies are dangerous They're annoying, when you are in hurry they're always going slowly carrying their sticks and when they see a tram/bus or whatever they'll start running:rolleyes: That little old ladies are more dangerous than drivers!:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    its not really dangerous, its just a gigantic **** hole. and theres not many people there any more, because they all live in england.
    OH PLEASE. it's bizarre, you're Polish yourself, I'm baffled. As I am a history nerd I now feel the need to mention the famous ghetto uprisings (etc etc, there was plenty of events like that, but back to my point) - our grandparents fought for FREE poland, and how dare you say things like that? you should feel ashamed, where's your national spirit and patriotism gone?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, practically everyone in Eastern Europe has emigrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovepolska)
    OH PLEASE. it's bizarre, you're Polish yourself, I'm baffled. As I am a history nerd I now feel the need to mention the famous ghetto uprisings (etc etc, there was plenty of events like that, but back to my point) - our grandparents fought for FREE poland, and how dare you say things like that? you should feel ashamed, where's your national spirit and patriotism gone?
    lmao i am?
    its a joke name sonny, long story behind it that i shant go in to.

for a start, im male, and i believe its a girls name?

ReputationRep:
    OH and krakow is really FANTASTICO - i've been there with my english mates and we basically had a lush time.
    generally eastern europeans are very welcoming and there's always plenty of vodka to drink

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovepolska)
    Seriously, do you expect every person to honestly defend their homeland if its a ******** for all intents and purposes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ AgnieszkaA)
    lmao i am?
    its a joke name sonny, long story behind it that i shant go in to.

for a start, im male, and i believe its a girls name?
    SORRY, i just assumed that someone with a nickname of 'agnieszka' must be polish - yes, indeed it's a girls name. thus my comment doesn't apply to you any longer, so dwwww yah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    Seriously, do you expect every person to honestly defend their homeland if its a ******** for all intents and purposes.
    YES, I DO.
    I'm reppin' the land of Poles all the way innit! haaha

ReputationRep:
    umm im from bulgaria, its pretty safe (although i dont live there... ).. stay out of gypsy towns nd u should be alright... although i fail to see why you would want to visit it in the first place - i dont even want to go there for my summer holidays anymore . Maybe it will be interesting for you to see a different culture, the architecture , and the mountains(nows the time to ski )
    the prices should be fairly reasonable

I have a friend in Poland, recently spoke to him, apparantely its -15 there at the moment, so it will be terribly cold if you go in the winter. apart from that poland should be interesting.

On a side note, to all the people saying eastern europe is a ********, unless you've actually visited all of it you can keep your opinions to yourselves...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burayo)
    Which areas are worth avoiding for two English girls backpacking? I've been planning our trip around Europe and been hearing some really horrible things about places like Poland, Bulgaria, Romania. Is it worth just avoiding them altogether?

Didn't bother to read all the pages, as a lot of people have absolutely no clue what they're talking about.

First of all, Poland is safe. It's a nice country, and in a different league than Bulgaria and Romania.

In Romania, it is not *that* dangerous. Depends on where you plan on going really. Mostly, you have to watch out for beggars and pickpockets and you'll probably get ripped off by taxi drivers (even we do, lol). Best thing you can do is get someone who knows the place/language to show you around. That way, you won't have a thing to worry about.

As for Bulgaria, that's a whole different story. If you plan on going anywhere else than the seaside or Sofia, I'd say don't. It's quite dangerous and they're known for picking on tourists. I'm just saying this out of what I've heard/seen.

All the best.

LE:
    (Original post by Temperley)
    If your going to Romania on an organized project I think it should be fine, but as two girls backpacking it would not be such a fantastic idea. I say this because Ive heard that there is a lot of corruption during daytime hours and rabies is very prevalent - I have never been but from what Ive heard from my brother who did Award Scheme there and have read it seems like one of the more undesirable Eastern European countries.
    Couldn't help it. I'm sorry, WHAT?
    There is a lot of corruption during daytime? I don't think you're familiar with the term.
    And rabies? Seriously?
    Don't get me wrong, I hate my country, but let's not take things to the extreme.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.