Turn on thread page Beta

How dangerous is Eastern Europe? watch

ReputationRep:
    According to this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate

Chances that you will be murdered in Poland, Czech or Slovakia are even lower than it the UK. But Russia is an another story.

As I live in Poland I can tell you that the safety has really improved in recent years. Of course you have to be carefull, but this applies to every country. In major cities you should have no problems with finding someone who speaks English (young people):yep:. A German student living in my city told me that everywhere she goes she can easily communicate in English or German. Of course in the country it might be different.

I will have to visit Prague - such a beautiful city

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for the comments, really helpful. Didn't want to offend any people living in these countries, you just tend to hear stereotypes living in England. Thanks again xxx

ReputationRep:
    These countries are good for:

Cheap boozse/drugs
    Ex-Red Army crap
    Prosititutes
    Cultural cities/towns
    Beautiful landscapes/buildings and scenery
    Conservsatism culture
    and...more vodka..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SingleStep)
    I'd say that little old ladies are dangerous They're annoying, when you are in hurry they're always going slowly carrying their sticks and when they see a tram/bus or whatever they'll start running:rolleyes: That little old ladies are more dangerous than drivers!:p:
    They are indeed! and they're so rude! they just glare at you and mutter SPIERDALAJ under their breath (no joke :eek: )

quite funny! but that applies to old ladies everywhere itd seem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TENDYRAAA!)
    They are indeed! and they're so rude! they just glare at you and mutter SPIERDALAJ under their breath (no joke :eek: )
    What does that mean in English? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovepolska)
    OH PLEASE. it's bizarre, you're Polish yourself, I'm baffled. As I am a history nerd I now feel the need to mention the famous ghetto uprisings (etc etc, there was plenty of events like that, but back to my point) - our grandparents fought for FREE poland, and how dare you say things like that? you should feel ashamed, where's your national spirit and patriotism gone?
    Extreme patriotism gets you nowhere in todays world im afraid. By all means be proud of your roots, but get over yourself if you think it really matters in the grander scheme of things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Uh, didn't you say that you wouldn't go anywhere in Europe at any time of day without at least two other people by your side?

That's an unhealthy level of paranoia.
    No, I said I wouldn't backpack across Europe without two other people in my group. There's a difference between going to specific locations and traveling across the whole thing, and there's a difference between having them by my side 24/7 and simply traveling with a group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilovepolska)
    OH PLEASE. it's bizarre, you're Polish yourself, I'm baffled. As I am a history nerd I now feel the need to mention the famous ghetto uprisings (etc etc, there was plenty of events like that, but back to my point) - our grandparents fought for FREE poland, and how dare you say things like that? you should feel ashamed, where's your national spirit and patriotism gone?
    :facepalm2:
    not everyone is a patriot you know...
    Why is it that every Polish person has to mention the amazing history of their country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    It means: **** off :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob_K)
    :facepalm2:
    not everyone is a patriot you know...
    Why is it that every Polish person has to mention the amazing history of their country?
    I know! but i guess that's how we're educated in poland, they always put a great emphasis on our history, i guess it's the only thing afterall we can be proud of! haha, that was harsh, where's my patrotism gone?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Night Mark)
    According to this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._homicide_rate

Chances that you will be murdered in Poland, Czech or Slovakia are even lower than it the UK. But Russia is an another story.

As I live in Poland I can tell you that the safety has really improved in recent years. Of course you have to be carefull, but this applies to every country. In major cities you should have no problems with finding someone who speaks English (young people):yep:. A German student living in my city told me that everywhere she goes she can easily communicate in English or German. Of course in the country it might be different.

I will have to visit Prague - such a beautiful city
    Your life expectancy shrinks dramatically as soon as you cross the Russian border, especially if you are Polish.

C'est la vie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    means eff off :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burayo)
    Which areas are worth avoiding for two English girls backpacking? I've been planning our trip around Europe and been hearing some really horrible things about places like Poland, Bulgaria, Romania. Is it worth just avoiding them altogether?
    As long as you don't dress like poshy little celeb from Sixth Form then you should be fine to be honest :yep: Avoid big commieblock estates, they are biggest settllement of chavs and other smackheads. Best areas to go ? City centres, especially in Warsaw, Cracow or Wroclaw. It's well opened fro foreing tourists and there shouldn't be a problem with finding someone who speaks English, especially youngsters.

(Original post by MagneticMeteor)
    As long as you don't dress like poshy little celeb from Sixth Form then you should be fine to be honest :yep: Avoid big commieblock estates, they are biggest settllement of chavs and other smackheads. Best areas to go ? City centres, especially in Warsaw, Cracow or Wroclaw. It's well opened fro foreing tourists and there shouldn't be a problem with finding someone who speaks English, especially youngsters.
    Wtf, are you like retarded.
    Anyway, OP if you go to Warsaw you simply must go to Nowy Swiat, it's full of amazing little cafes and restaurants.

ReputationRep:
    Are you quickly forgot of what Poland is like ? Loads of things improved in recent years but our mentality and perspective on many issues is still different.

ReputationRep:
    Im going to Zakopane Tomorrow (South of Poland around the Tatry Mountains) with a few mates skiing...just looked at the weather and its supposed to be -17.2C tomorrow. lool...Definitely go in summer

ReputationRep:
    Which areas are worth avoiding for two English girls backpacking? I've been planning our trip around Europe and been hearing some really horrible things about places like Poland, Bulgaria, Romania. Is it worth just avoiding them altogether?
    No! You are very wrong here. Though, media tells many things, you're all right to think that countries such as Poland and Romania are dangerous.

For Poland and Bulgaria, I cannot tell exactly, but for Romania, I'm sure of what I say. I've been there

Romania is NOT dangerous. Though. After 11:00 PM, don't be on the streets. Not that anything is going to happen, only rumors out there are that there may be bad guys on the streets of big cities. I know it, I've been there. Nothing's happened to me, and I was very young.

If you want safety, then visit the countryside mostly, small cities and big cities of Western Romania, such as Timisoara. Countryside means Nature untouched. And there are many countrymen that have cows, that have oxen, asses, chickens. You can see the process of making cheese, and sour cream, and things like that.
    Taste how it tasted originally, without all the chemicals.

I would strongly recommend to have a guide, because tourism out there isn't very developed because the government doesn't want to make advertising and multi-language stuff. But all the infrastructure is there, so you won't even notice the lack of interest for tourism

For the moment, It's all I can tell. If you need any additional information, feel free to ask me, it's my pleasure.

Poland seems very civilised, and is safe. But Bulgaria looks much less civilized than Romania, so I don't know if you should visit that place.

Have a nice day

ReputationRep:
    Are you British really so ignorant? No wonder no one likes you in Europe at all! First of all the Czech Republic is not in Eastern Europe! Surprise! You learned something new today. Also, the Czech Republic is far safer than the whole UK. According to the global peaceful index the Czech Republic is ranking 13th peaceful nation whilst your beloved UK is struggling somewhere between Botswana and Romania. The standard of living in the Czech Republic is the same as in the UK (According to Human Development Index the Czech Republic is ranking 27th and the UK 28th place).

Also if I compare the Czech Republic or any CENTRAL European country with the UK, the Czech or Central Europe is a much safer, more developed, cleaner and relaxed place.

ReputationRep:
    Krakow is an amazing city.

ReputationRep:
    You are going to hear a lot of nonsense about Eastern Europe based on outdated stereotypes from over 20 years ago by clueless people. Poland, Romania and Bulgaria are completely safe and all have easy transport links between cities and an array of hostels (which if anything shows how popular it is with other backpackers).

Even pushing further east and in all the countries of former yugoslavia, you will be generally safe. There isnt really anywhere in Europe that is on the whole a no go area. Ofcourse, there are cities and areas of cities in the countries of Eastern Europe where you should probably avoid, in the same way you wouldn't march around toxteth or perry barr on your own shouting down your Iphone.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.