Turn on thread page Beta

How dangerous is Eastern Europe? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm mixed race, during my interriling trip I went to Krakow in Poland. I believe their I experienced racism.

7am I was on my own walking down and quiet side alley in the rain, no traffic whatsoever. So I'm walking across the road and suddenly police pull me over and issue a 40 pound fine for 'jay walking'. It was no main road, completely empty I think the police were looking for a excuse.

I thought it was bloody ridiculous to be honest plus the whole time I was there I got funny looks from everyone, don't think I'll ever go to that country again.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Czech Republic has the highest standard of living of any former Eastern Bloc country and historically speaking, the Czech Republic should be considered part of Central Europe rather than the Orthodox Eastern Europe which is completely different. Current per capita GDP is on a par with western European countries. They have the most hospital beds per capita in the EU, the highest rate of secondary education, and the 5th freest press in the world according to Reporters Without Borders. Per capita GDP in Prague is higher than any other EU country except for Luxembourg. And it's the 13th most peaceful nation in the world. You'll be completely safe if you visit there, safer than in the UK or USA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Temperley)
    If your going to Romania on an organized project I think it should be fine, but as two girls backpacking it would not be such a fantastic idea. I say this because Ive heard that there is a lot of corruption during daytime hours and rabies is very prevalent - I have never been but from what Ive heard from my brother who did Award Scheme there and have read it seems like one of the more undesirable Eastern European countries.
    Okay now, as a Romanian, I feel a bit insulted, but that's fine, I understand Western people still believe in outdated '90s stereotypes about Eastern Europe xD.

I'll just tell you that rabies is virtually nonexistent, as well as other diseases. As for the "daytime corruption", could you please explain what that is?

Let me just tell you one thing : Those countries : Czech Republic, Romania, Greece, are the three Eastern European countries completely different from the rest of the other Eastern European countries.

Czech Republic : Clean, safe, nice people in general from what I hear
    Greece : Clean, safe, good people
    Romania : Not as clean as Czech Republic, but not a dirty country per se, good people, safe BUT be careful at the people badly dressed and who look suspicious. You may or may not see them; you'll probably see them about once a week in the bus/train/metro etc, but they might be gypsy people, and those people have a bad reputation of pickpockets, so you may watch out for that! I'd rather take the same safety precautions as in the UK : watch your purse, don't leave any valuable object unattended, etc.

Now why are those three different from the bunch?

Czech Republic : the most Western European country out of any Eastern(Central) European country, geographically, but also politically, economically and socially

Greece : You know... Tourism has made the place nice, and safe in touristic regions. Watch out for people charging you too much

Romania : This is a little historical. Romanians, themselves, are not a Slavic people, like almost all of Eastern Europe (The exception being Moldova, because they're Romanian too, but were split up from Romania by the Soviets after WWII). They're a Latin people. This means that the culture is very different, and the religion also. Yes, I didn't believe it either at first! We all know Romanians are Orthodox, but they celebrate Christmas and the New Year the same time other Christians do. Most scholars say that they're like an island (of Latin people) into the sea (of Slavic people). Latin people means Romance language speakers, the same as Italians, French, Portuguese and Spanish

Other than that, Romania's pretty safe; in fact, according to the World Peace Index, Romania is safer than the UK, France, Italy, and comfortably safer than the USA! It is also safer than many other Eastern European countries including Bulgaria, Greece, and Russia.

= = = = =

The verdict

Romania's a safe place, with a different culture than the rest of Eastern Europe, with an okay-developed infrastructure, and with a fairly good English speaking population (the Youth). If you get a guide, it can't be boring, and if you visit cities like Sibiu, Brașov, Cluj, Timișoara, Bucharest, Constanța and Iași, only to name a few, you aren't going to be in big trouble, and the seaside is very English-speaking. If you're backpacking though, I would suggest to get a guide or if the budget doesn't permit it, to get informed as to which places to visit in every city you go.

This being said, I didn't forget Poland was pretty safe and an awesome country, and that Bulgaria's seaside is pretty nice too, only that many Romanians who go to the beach there by car return home by... foot! Car stealing is a thing there unfortunately. The Baltics also seem pretty nice, although I haven't heard much about them. Poland is also great.

Here, I hope this helps... from what I see, the original post was in 2010, so it seems that you've already completed your trip xD

I hope I clarified things a little bit about Eastern European countries, as well as for my country Romania, it really isn't a rabies haven like Temperley thinks xD

Have an excellent day. Come and visit us sometime

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catadeluxe)
    The verdict

Romania's a safe place, with a different culture than the rest of Eastern Europe, with an okay-developed infrastructure, and with a fairly good English speaking population (the Youth). If you get a guide, it can't be boring, and if you visit cities like Sibiu, Brașov, Cluj, Timișoara, Bucharest, Constanța and Iași, only to name a few, you aren't going to be in big trouble, and the seaside is very English-speaking. If you're backpacking though, I would suggest to get a guide or if the budget doesn't permit it, to get informed as to which places to visit in every city you go.

This being said, I didn't forget Poland was pretty safe and an awesome country, and that Bulgaria's seaside is pretty nice too, only that many Romanians who go to the beach there by car return home by... foot! Car stealing is a thing there unfortunately. The Baltics also seem pretty nice, although I haven't heard much about them. Poland is also great.

Here, I hope this helps... from what I see, the original post was in 2010, so it seems that you've already completed your trip xD

I hope I clarified things a little bit about Eastern European countries, as well as for my country Romania, it really isn't a rabies haven like Temperley thinks xD

Have an excellent day. Come and visit us sometime
    I went last year for a couple of days on a football trip, had a great time. Romania wasn't the sort of country that would come to mind for a holiday to be honest, but my team were drawn to play CFR Cluj and I go to different places in Europe watching them so I decided to go.

The plane companies made it too expensive to fly directly in so I flew to Hungary and traveled across that way, but there were no direct trains so it was a bit of a nightmare. Had to get a train from Budapest to Puspokladany, bus over the border to Oradea and another train through to Cluj. Took about 8 hours or so and I was on my own and once we got out of the city nobody really spoke English so I had to try and figure out my way around. Well worth it though ... the journey there and back through the countryside was awesome. Past mountains and rivers and through fields and all kinds, so many great views we don't get at home.

I love the way people just jump on and off trains in the middle of nowhere and walk across the tracks. That totally blew my mind, the health and safety people would explode if we did that in England. All of us that went said Cluj was a great city and the people that did Bucharest for Otelul Galati in 2011 loved that too. The hotels, the beer and food were cheap and good quality and we didn't have any problems with the locals apart from the language barrier outside the main towns. Hoping we get somewhere in Eastern Europe again this season!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob4rugby)
    I'm mixed race, during my interriling trip I went to Krakow in Poland. I believe their I experienced racism.

7am I was on my own walking down and quiet side alley in the rain, no traffic whatsoever. So I'm walking across the road and suddenly police pull me over and issue a 40 pound fine for 'jay walking'. It was no main road, completely empty I think the police were looking for a excuse.

I thought it was bloody ridiculous to be honest plus the whole time I was there I got funny looks from everyone, don't think I'll ever go to that country again.
    In Poland you are only permitted to cross the road at authorised crossing points (except if there are none within 100 metres). I have been several times to this country and being used to the GB system, the first time I was bemused to see people waiting for the green man on an otherwise empty road. My Polish travelling companion explained that the fine is 200 zlotych (which would make it about £40) if the police see you, so most people will wait.

Of course I also saw some people crossing the road illegally, but I guess thats because it is a minor crime and there were no police watching. I have on one occasion seen locals stopped and fined for jaywalking.

Jaywalking is against the law in a number of countries in Europe, and you will be fined for doing so if caught. It almost certainly has nothing to do with racism - shame on you for bringing it up. You seem to accept that you broke the law, and regardless of whether you knew beforehand or not, ignorance of the law is no excuse and it is your responsibility to familiarise yourself with local laws before travel.

The FCO website would have told you about this. https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...ws-and-customs

ReputationRep:
    I heard bad stories about those countries. Apparently their pretty violent, sexist and homophobic as far as I heard. Can't help much though. I've never been there.

ReputationRep:
    I have family members living in Poland and I go around 3 times a year all around the country - trust me, it's not dangerous. The driving is a little hectic occasionally, but there really isn't any prejudice against other races or anything, especially in the touristy areas. In the less popular areas you might get people glancing at you a little more than usual, but that's only because it isn't a very mixed country and the majority of people living there are from Eastern Europe, so it's new to them to see someone who may be mixed race for example, but they are still very welcoming. I have personally found it safer than the UK, and in most places there is more of a community feel. Of course there are some exceptions, just like in every country. It's definitely worth going, it's a very beautiful country.

I imagine Czech Republic and Slovakia to be similar, but I'm not sure about other countries for certain - I only speak from experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GinaLaMalfaisant)
    I heard bad stories about those countries. Apparently their pretty violent, sexist and homophobic as far as I heard. Can't help much though. I've never been there.
    I can tell you have never been, there is so much unfounded rubbish you have posted here.

Have a look at http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cac...-10-058-EN.PDF

Under Homicides - Rate per 100 000 population, average per year, 2006-2008

UK - England and Wales 1.35
    UK Scotland 2.14
    Poland 1.29

Under Robbery - Rate per 100 000 population, average per year, 2006-2008

UK - England and Wales 103
    UK Scotland 101
    Poland 81

Under Domestic Burglary - Rate per 100 000 population, average per year, 2006-2008

UK - England and Wales 97
    UK Scotland 96
    Poland 79

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    I can tell you have never been, there is so much unfounded rubbish you have posted here.

Have a look at http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/cac...-10-058-EN.PDF

Under Homicides - Rate per 100 000 population, average per year, 2006-2008

UK - England and Wales 1.35
    UK Scotland 2.14
    Poland 1.29

Under Robbery - Rate per 100 000 population, average per year, 2006-2008

UK - England and Wales 103
    UK Scotland 101
    Poland 81

Under Domestic Burglary - Rate per 100 000 population, average per year, 2006-2008

UK - England and Wales 97
    UK Scotland 96
    Poland 79
    Can you explain me how robbery or burglary defines how sexist or homophobic a country is?? There's a simple explanation for the reason Poland has lower domestic robbery than UK: it's a poorer country.

A bigger population living in poor rural areas means that people will be less inclined to go rob the neighbors as they will more than likely be even poorer than themselves.

Please check your own rubbish before criticizing other people's posts.

ReputationRep:
    Hostel is based on a true story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GinaLaMalfaisant)
    Can you explain me how robbery or burglary defines how sexist or homophobic a country is?? There's a simple explanation for the reason Poland has lower domestic robbery than UK: it's a poorer country.

A bigger population living in poor rural areas means that people will be less inclined to go rob the neighbors as they will more than likely be even poorer than themselves.

Please check your own rubbish before criticizing other people's posts.
    I did demonstrate the 'violence' point for you.

Your argument was wholly unfounded nonsense based on supposition and xenophobia. You provided no evidence to back up your argument and even admitted you were relying on hearsay and hadn't even visited the countries in question.

Therefore I do not believe that a great deal of effort needs to be expended in showing your argument to be rubbish.

Can you explain how this 'I heard bad stories' defines how violent or sexist or homophobic people in these countries actually are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burayo)
    I really want to visit them, but I do think its different being a guy. Girls are more vulnerable. My brother was hospitalised in Slovakia as well, but he said it's worth visiting?! Did you visit these places when interrailing?
    What happened?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob4rugby)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    to be honest you have to understand the looks, they probably never seen a person like that looks like you (race wise)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2013
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.