Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do killers achieve cult status and adoration? (Tatsuya Ichihashi) Watch

• View Poll Results: Do you have an interest in killers?
    Yes I do.
    43.48%
    Used to, but not anymore...
    8.70%
    No I do not!
    47.83%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    Ta for posting the vid. Will give it a watch whilst I eat my breakfast.

First comment I read on that video "I hate woman. good job Ted. "
    I can point you in the direction of all the good serial killer watches if you want....most will be on youtube......Loads of them are over-rated like Jeferey Dahmer...........ew he ate people...he was still a pussy and basically just a messed up loser. Ed Gein is another favourite that is just crap and over-rated....he's just a freak of a mommy's boy.

ReputationRep:
    Well I think it's more of the fact that these women think they are misunderstood, that they can change them or that they really believe they are innocent of their crimes.

But to be honest they are interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I was reading the lovely sensationalist paper that is the Daily Mail when I stumbled across an interesting article on the death of the British teacher Lindsay Ann Hawker who was stabbed, raped and then buried in a bath of sand by her student Tatsuya Ichihashi. You can read an excerpt from the article below in the spoiler:

Spoiler:
    Show

Like many killers (Charles Manson, Jack the Ripper, Ted Bundy, Armin Meiwes, etc), Tatsuya Ichihashi has now attracted adoration, infatuation and fascination.

We often claim to be repulsed by the actions of killers, yet why are we so interested in them? Pop into Waterstones and they have sections dedicated to books on killers. Browse the internet and you come across fan pages and youtube videos dedicated to the Columbine killers. Read the newspapers and there too they are sensationalised and put into the limelight.

What drives the obsession and interest in killers? Why are we fascinated with books, movies, and games about killing people and why have real life killers become near enough objects of worship?

Perhaps people can offer their own perspectives :yep:
    well because, if we simply had no interest in these people and killed them, we would not find out why they do these things. And yes these reasons do extend beyond "he is sick in the head" or "he is evil"

The fact that we show "fascination" has allowed us to prevent many murders. Ie this fascination has shown that many murderes "practice" in their childhood and this gives us some pre warnings.

ReputationRep:
    Fan worschip to that extent I would attribute to "just being Japan". Iss true that others have had fans but as people have already said, Japan is kind of nuts.

I used to be a lot more interested in serial killers than now, though I watched a Jack the Ripper film quite rapturously recently, and I find the Zodiac killer pretty interesting. But as for fangirling on them, the only one I'd ever dream of fancying (though I imagine shame would prevent any real fanmail or stalking from happening) is lil Charlie Manson. Then again, I always like those old hippies :blah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by az1992)
    well because, if we simply had no interest in these people and killed them, we would not find out why they do these things. And yes these reasons do extend beyond "he is sick in the head" or "he is evil"

The fact that we show "fascination" has allowed us to prevent many murders. Ie this fascination has shown that many murderes "practice" in their childhood and this gives us some pre warnings.
    I do accept that studying them from a psychological and psychiatric perspective has given insights into the warning signs like the links between childhood animal abuse and then violence towards humans in later life, certain common behavioural traits, etc.

However there is another side it, not just curiosity for crime preventions sake. You know the mass distribution of books and films, profiteering and tapping into the public's curiosity. Personally I haven't the slightest clue as to why I find books on killers interesting, just curiosity on how others live their lives I guess.

I'm trying to gather in this thread as to why people become 'fans' of killers as well not just interested despite murder obviously being something which many people openly condemn. There are hundreds of youtube videos and websites dedicated to Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold. Not just documentaries but also videos celebrating them. I'm ignoring the posts which say the Japanese are just weird they do these sorts of things, getrudeus posted the most relevant response on that front so far. Trying to gather peoples personal opinions on why other people or themselves are interested, and if there are any fans on tsr, why?

ReputationRep:
    People who do bad stuff do attract adoration for it. It's just human nature. People who do good stuff often will do it unnoticed.

ReputationRep:
    killers' darkness is a fascination to mundaneness

ReputationRep:
    I do accept that studying them from a psychological and psychiatric perspective has given insights into the warning signs like the links between childhood animal abuse and then violence towards humans in later life, certain common behavioural traits, etc.

However there is another side it, not just curiosity for crime preventions sake. You know the mass distribution of books and films, profiteering and tapping into the public's curiosity. Personally I haven't the slightest clue as to why I find books on killers interesting, just curiosity on how others live their lives I guess.

I'm trying to gather in this thread as to why people become 'fans' of killers as well not just interested despite murder obviously being something which many people openly condemn. There are hundreds of youtube videos and websites dedicated to Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold. Not just documentaries but also videos celebrating them. I'm ignoring the posts which say the Japanese are just weird they do these sorts of things, getrudeus posted the most relevant response on that front so far. Trying to gather peoples personal opinions on why other people or themselves are interested, and if there are any fans on tsr, why?
    Okay I see, well the public curiosity thing, surely thats because its so abnormal? Many people show an interest in crime. I myself am fascinated by street gangs, more to do with the socio-economic and psychological causes, yet I dont have any plans to join one nor do I endorse the behavior that they get upto. In the same way people show a curiosity into mass murderers or whatever, it is not because necessarily they endorse that persons behavior or what to emulate it.

the fans thing, well I would explain this as people attaching themselves onto controversial causes for a number of reasons. Some people associating themselves with an organization that will cause a level in
    notoriety in their community, whether that be in school, the Internet or
    what.

The over reason why people become 'fans' of these people and try and further their cause is perhaps to add a sense of purpose into their lives.
    Im sure you will find that the majority of these people who make the videos are nerdy and socially deprived children who take up the cause of fighting injustice in this world and relate those Columbine killers to that cause. These same people will eventually grow out of it soon enough and fall into place in the system.

Slight digression, when you mentioned the thing about condemning something and then showing an interest, the first thing i thought of was when people blindly insult lither yet also make jew jokes and gas
    chamber jokes?! Also in the same way that people condemn hitlers actions but take an interest in Germany's actions during the war could be similar to what your talking about maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simplicity)
    You do know that theonion news network is a parody.

P.S. That was really funny.
    Haha, yes. But I'm sure people have made the mistake in the past.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.