Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 and about to choose my a levels, and have been planning on doing Biology, Psychology, English language and Philosophy.

I'm not sure what I want to do at uni but I've been thinking of either psychology or possibly linguistics (I know they're very different, but just shows I have no idea :p: ) and would preferably like to go to a top uni like UCL.

Are these subjects good and respected? What do you think of them? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I think your choices are good so far and it shows you have a range of academic interests. If your looking at a top uni possibly try English Lit instead of Lang?

ReputationRep:
    EDIT:
    UCL LINGUISTICS

A levels:
    AAA-ABB, English Language and/or mathematics or science-based subjects are preferred but not required.

Plus a pass in one further subject at AS level or equivalent is required for all programmes.

UCL PSYCHOLOGY

A levels:
    A levels: AAA to include at least one science-based subject (Psychology is acceptable) or Mathematics.

A pass in a further subject at AS level or equivalent is also required.

GCSE Mathematics and English Language must be offered at a minimum of grade B. GCSE Biology or GCSE Science (Double Award) is also expected at a minimum of grade B.

---

Considering these, the choices are quite good. However, if you were to change your mind, a more solid academic subject like Maths would benefit you alot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie038)
    I think your choices are good so far and it shows you have a range of academic interests. If your looking at a top uni possibly try English Lit instead of Lang?

I thought english language was good for linguistics right?

ReputationRep:
    OP Check the preferred entry requirements for those degrees on a range of websites. God-tier subjects would benefit your application most (I consider these to be: Maths; Further Maths; Chemistry; Physics; English Literature; History; MFL), but try to stick with the requirements for the degrees you'd like to study.

ReputationRep:
    :P You're almost taking the same subjects as I am I'm thinking to do Psychology at uni too, and I've been told that Biology is helpful. So I think your choices are all good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kimi_ko)
    I thought english language was good for linguistics right?
    Yes it is, but you could consider Lit if you were interested in it is what I meant, as uni's respect it more
    What about Maths? My sister has just completed her Psychology degree and she felt that A-Level Maths really helped!

ReputationRep:
    Sounds great! If it's linguistics than maybe a foreign language?

ReputationRep:
    You should take;
    Travel and Tourism
    Dance
    Photography
    BTEC Sport

/Thread

ReputationRep:
    I very, very, very much reccommend maths. Universities love it, it's very academic, and it isn't really that difficult at all.

ReputationRep:
    Hey there, I'm not sure if you need the help, but I've just recently put my entire BTEC National Award in Sport Coursework folder up for sale on Ebay. It contains all of my work from two years including essays, presentations, power points etc & could be a great help. It achieved grade distinction and could be a great study aid for you just look it up in the search bar on ebay, something like "A Level BTEC Sport Complete Coursework Folder
    Distinction Grade" Its quite cheap for two years work. Hope it can be a help & good luck with your courses

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.