Turn on thread page Beta

Why do people celebrate birthdays? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    1/365 - it's not asking much is it.
    And then going to your dozens of friends birthdays....the statistics aren't so attractive then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humz2)
    Yeahh why :hmpf:

You're only celebrating another year closer to your death :holmes:
    lol but we're young so why not enjoy the life that we have left?

ReputationRep:
    its my birthday on monday and i've thought about this cos you're basically saying "yes, I've managed to go another year without dying"

ReputationRep:
    I never make a deal out of my birthdays. Nothing feels different, and unless it's something significant like 18, what's point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    And then going to your dozens of friends birthdays....the statistics aren't so attractive then.
    Do you genuinely not think that you're achieving things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lack of Creativity)
    I never make a deal out of my birthdays. Nothing feels different, and unless it's something significant like 18, what's point?
    Wow finally a rational person on TSR...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    Do you genuinely not think that you're achieving things?
    Well if you do bad in your university results and don't do anything else significant like work experience/charity work, why celebrate? I guess people are celebrating because some of them know they will be on the dole for a long period after university..

ReputationRep:
    Well if you do bad in your university results and don't do anything else significant like work experience/charity work, why celebrate? I guess people are celebrating because some of them know they will be on the dole for a long period after university..
    Fair enough. I don't see how you CAN'T be achieving things, but I guess that depends on your perception.

Either way, a birthday is a tradition. I'm not saying it's something incredibly special, but I make a point of taking the 17th of September off work every year. Yes, it's the same as every other day I take off work, but it happens on the same date each year - a day set aside specifically for not working. That's why it's 'special'. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Cake cake cake cake cake.

ReputationRep:
    Because they're soo thankful to be alive? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Because not everyone is sad like you.

ReputationRep:
    Its more of an excuse to celebrate rather than a reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vimto)
    Because not everyone is sad like you.
    thanks for such a convincing argument..

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I won't get on your bad side OP. :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    If no one has anything constructive to add like the bimbo who posted above me aka hotcoco please refrain yourself from posting, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I am really struggling to understand why 18+ year olds celebrate birthdays to the fullest if they haven't achieved anything. This could be getting good results, getting an internship or job or doing something really good or great. Now if you have done **** at university, haven't been able to get any internship or job or just generally been a waste...how can you justify celebrating a birthday?

Don't want to sound like a depressed soul but I myself won't celebrate until I have done something worthwhile with my life.

PS By the way I understand why little kids celebrate birthdays....

A lot of comments have said you have lived another year...but the average age is 75+ in this country, so how is it exactly an achievement to live another year? The money you guys spend on drinks etc should be sent to africa so the kids there can celebrate their birthday where the average age is less than half here...
    Em, you're celebrating your birth? You're existence?

You ask why people celebrate birthdays if they haven't accomplished something. Surely people do celebrate accomplishments? Just on other days

ReputationRep:
    The money you guys spend on drinks etc should be sent to africa so the kids there can celebrate their birthday where the average age is less than half here...

oh do shut up, i work hard for my money so if i want to spend it on a night out or a tattoo i will, not give it to something i quite frankly dont give a **** about
    why dont you get your internet connection cut, sell your computer and send the money to africa for the kids if you are that bothered

ReputationRep:
    Celebrating my birthday has never been a big deal to me, my parents haven't given me a present in years and it doesn't bother me, im always on holiday on my birthday because its in the summer holidays so thats good enough for me. You are right people waste money on drinking to celebrate their birthday when people in the world might not live till their next birthday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    oh do shut up, i work hard for my money so if i want to spend it on a night out or a tattoo i will, not give it to something i quite frankly dont give a **** about
    why dont you get your internet connection cut, sell your computer and send the money to africa for the kids if you are that bothered
    LOL that's a bit harsh init tinktinktinkerbell ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronic_fatigue)
    Celebrating my birthday has never been a big deal to me, my parents haven't given me a present in years and it doesn't bother me, im always on holiday on my birthday because its in the summer holidays so thats good enough for me. You are right people waste money on drinking to celebrate their birthday when people in the world might not live till their next birthday.

yet you spend yours on a holiday, think of the poor people :rolleyes:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.