Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *my-future's-bright*)
    LOL that's a bit harsh init tinktinktinkerbell ??
    not really no, im not going to pretend i give a damn about poor kids in africa when i know full well that i dont

i was lucky enough to be born in the UK and im lucky enough to have a job and have some money so if i want so spend it on booze (which tbf i dont) or whatever then i will and im not going to feel guilty about that

ReputationRep:
    Well I didn't celebrate my last birthday because I hadn't achieved what I wanted and was depresssed about being another year older. In general, I like it because of the fuss you get from family and friends and ofcourse the cake!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    yet you spend yours on a holiday, think of the poor people :rolleyes:
    i do community work in ghana, teach young kids, its all for a good cause. Its where i come from so its not like im going to spain for a tan and binge sessions

ReputationRep:
    i dont know too
    but its fun, there are 365 or whatever days in a year, its good to have atleats a whole day feeling special.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's fun? :dontknow:

And I'd just like to take this opportunity to wish everyone A VERY MERRY UNBIRTHDAY

Including you, OP. You miserable sod.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe I'm reading such utter crap :facepalm2:

"LOLOLOLOL WHY DO WE CELEBRATE BIRTHDAYS??!! It's only the anniversary of when we came onto this Earth, nothing special really."

:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I hate celebrating my birthdays. I'm only getting older, no fun at all :emo:

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Your life sucks, FYI.

ReputationRep:
    i never celebrate mine lol, it's just another day, nothing special about it. Stopped doing so when i was 14 or so, then i realised what's the point.

ReputationRep:
    We celebrate to get away from the fact we've been a failiure over the past year

ReputationRep:
    day by day were a mere shoot of grass in a massive field

surely this should be there should be a day where you have the right for attention to be lavished upon u in order to differentiate yourself from everyone else?

i dont see bdays as a day of being proud of summin/an achievement - just a day to celebrate YOU (if tht to some doesnt contradict what i said before)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichardF)
    The fact you have now been alive x number of years is perfect reason to celebrate... you've achieved being alive for that long... that is a bigger achievement than anything else in life, life itself is the achievement! don't be surprised if people don't turn up to your birthdays if you have that attitude =P
    :yep: this is a very good point. Several people in the world die everyday from whatever cause, so I suppose birthdays are an achievement that you haven't been one of those people (so far).

ReputationRep:
    Some people celebrate their birthdays; some don't. Out of the people who do celebrate said occasion, some celebrate it more than others. :yes:

Those for celebrating their birthdays:

• It's nice to feel 'special' for one day of the year.
    • You're still alive, aren't you?
    • Life is an achievement in and of itself.

Those against such festivities:

• There is no logical reason for one particular day of the year to be any more special than another.
    • Achievement? But I haven't made any significant profits lately...
    • Why celebrate another year closer to your death?

Maybe it's just me, but one of those perspectives seems to be a lot more logically oriented, emotionally detached and even, perhaps, morbidly fascinated with the prospect of inevitable death, than the other.

I like to celebrate my birthday, even if it is only in a small way. :yep:
    Besides, who in their right mind would pass up an opportunity for cake & free presents?

(By the way, please correct me if I have misunderstood something here. )

ReputationRep:
    No idea, we appraise arbitrary time with many events for no reason, it defies logic and is simply a capital-driven concoction with no meaning.

lol but we're young so why not enjoy the life that we have left?
    That's why people smoke weed everyday and not only on their birthdays :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humz2)
    That's why people smoke weed everyday and not only on their birthdays :holmes:
    well then smoke twice as much on your birthday! and drink booze :P

well then smoke twice as much on your birthday! and drink booze :P
    I don't drink so it might be for you instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prospectivEEconomist)
    I am really struggling to understand why 18+ year olds celebrate birthdays to the fullest if they haven't achieved anything. This could be getting good results, getting an internship or job or doing something really good or great. Now if you have done **** at university, haven't been able to get any internship or job or just generally been a waste...how can you justify celebrating a birthday?

Don't want to sound like a depressed soul but I myself won't celebrate until I have done something worthwhile with my life.

PS By the way I understand why little kids celebrate birthdays....

A lot of comments have said you have lived another year...but the average age is 75+ in this country, so how is it exactly an achievement to live another year? The money you guys spend on drinks etc should be sent to africa so the kids there can celebrate their birthday where the average age is less than half here...
    They celebrate that it is not them who are struggling to survive in Africa. It is the celebration of us, in other words.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.