Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok so just got my Cambridge rejection, not too good but ah well!

So now thinking more about my other choices (all MChem 4yr industrial). Got Durham as firm I think, but as for insurance I'm split between Liverpool and York. York stressed at an open day that their chemistry course was better because you do 4th year in industry, as you do at Durham, which improves job prospects etc. But Liverpool do the 3rd year in industry, and the students come back with more knowledge/practical skills in the 4th year.

All other aspects of the course/universities aside, is it better to do the placement in the 3rd or 4th year?

Oh and assuming this is in the right forum if not sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robwm)
    Ok so just got my Cambridge rejection, not too good but ah well!

So now thinking more about my other choices (all MChem 4yr industrial). Got Durham as firm I think, but as for insurance I'm split between Liverpool and York. York stressed at an open day that their chemistry course was better because you do 4th year in industry, as you do at Durham, which improves job prospects etc. But Liverpool do the 3rd year in industry, and the students come back with more knowledge/practical skills in the 4th year.

All other aspects of the course/universities aside, is it better to do the placement in the 3rd or 4th year?

Oh and assuming this is in the right forum if not sorry.
    Sorry to hear about the Cambridge rejection! I've been told that doing the industrial placement in the 3rd year is a big help when it comes to research projects in the 4th year and those who did the placement in the 3rd year got considerably higher marks than those who didn't. (I'm assuming you'll be doing a research project in the final year? I'm not exactly sure how it works in a Chemistry degree!).

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.