The Student Room Group

Will my GCSE's affect my chances of getting into uni?

Hey I was just wondering how much bearing GCSE's have on getting into uni? I am currently in my last year of my BTECH in IT Practioners and expected to get either DDM or DMM.

But my GCSE's are mostly D's and two C'S in english will this affect my chances? I also did a level two diploma in business administration will this help with my ucas points?

Sorry for the rant im just sooo worried! I have already applied for unis and waiting for replies, im 20 and will be 21 in august if this helps as i'll be a mature student?

I have no idea really and hoping for some advice!! thanks for taking the time to read this! xxxxxxx
Reply 1
Depends what/where you're applying to. Many uni's require at least a C grade in maths and english - presumably you checked before applying?
it really depends what sort of uni you are applying to/what subject you want to do.

i think that it would be worth resitting english though, to try and get a C- even though this might not be essential for university, it will be really useful in later life...
It depends on the uni. Some higher brow unis will check back, e.g. some colleges at Ox-bridge wont accept anyone with less than 5A*s at GCSE.
Most uni's overlook this in favour of points from A levels.
Reply 4
Applied for manchester, cardiff, brighton, sussex and kent, how hard are these to get in?
Reply 5
it sort of depends what course you've applied for at uni. Different courses will have different requirements including gcse grades. They take everything into consideration. What do you want to study?
Reply 6
AnniexXx
Applied for manchester, cardiff, brighton, sussex and kent, how hard are these to get in?

depends what course you have applied for and how competitive it is
Reply 7
I went the wrong way about it and applied for 3 different courses as i was completely confused about what to do! Information Systems, environmental studies and media, sports science. I did a BTECH in IT and have a sports background... could this help?

I realise how naive i was now lol should have just stuck to one course! x
Many universities do set a minimum requirement of a C in core subjects/relevant subjects so you need to check their typical minimum offer requirements on their website.
I'd say they would at most uni's. Most people applying to the same uni have the same A-level grades so the only way to differentiate between candidates (other than personal statement etc) is usually GCSE's. I'd try to get at least 5 A* to C's at GCSE before applying or do a foundation year.
Reply 10
AnniexXx
I went the wrong way about it and applied for 3 different courses as i was completely confused about what to do! Information Systems, environmental studies and media, sports science. I did a BTECH in IT and have a sports background... could this help?

I realise how naive i was now lol should have just stuck to one course! x

o.O IT and Sports Science in the same PS..?
Reply 11
ask a connexions adviser...i don't think your GCSE's will affect getting into uni as long as you're not going into medicine or teaching...but as most people have mentioned it depends on the uni you go to and the degree you do...
might be worth doing a key skills course in maths....
Suffix
o.O IT and Sports Science in the same PS..?

Wii Fit

Get with it :ahee:
AnniexXx
Hey I was just wondering how much bearing GCSE's have on getting into uni? I am currently in my last year of my BTECH in IT Practioners and expected to get either DDM or DMM.

But my GCSE's are mostly D's and two C'S in english will this affect my chances? I also did a level two diploma in business administration will this help with my ucas points?

Sorry for the rant im just sooo worried! I have already applied for unis and waiting for replies, im 20 and will be 21 in august if this helps as i'll be a mature student?

I have no idea really and hoping for some advice!! thanks for taking the time to read this! xxxxxxx

For the most competitive courses, yes they will look at your GCSES
Reply 15
Hey!
I had a similar question:
I got 4A*/A 2Bs and 2Cs (C being the highest grade in IT)

Are these grades good enough to apply for Law to, for example, KCL?

Please say they are!
Reply 16
Spain'93
Hey!
I had a similar question:
I got 4A*/A 2Bs and 2Cs (C being the highest grade in IT)

Are these grades good enough to apply for Law to, for example, KCL?

Please say they are!

Blood, post your question in a separate thread, can't be jacking threads like that homes.
Reply 17
Im worried that if i don't get a C in maths i won't be able to go to Uni? I need help. At school GCSE i got a F

Latest

Trending

Trending