Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Theres already a few forums on this novel but nothing seems to directly focuss on the characterisation of Elizabeth and the narration... which I'm stuggling with !

The narration is in 3rd person and its mostly dialogue... what exactly could I talk about here? Im trying to relate this to how it represents the role of women in P&P and compare that with the narration in Wuthering Heights which has alot more to talk about...

Also characterisation?

Elizabeth is ambitious and shows conformity but rebelion at the same time...she's clearly unhappy with the system but still goes along with it... how else could i expand on the task at hand?

help would be appreciated
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Bella_Bridges)
    Theres already a few forums on this novel but nothing seems to directly focuss on the characterisation of Elizabeth and the narration... which I'm stuggling with !

The narration is in 3rd person and its mostly dialogue... what exactly could I talk about here? Im trying to relate this to how it represents the role of women in P&P and compare that with the narration in Wuthering Heights which has alot more to talk about...

Also characterisation?

Elizabeth is ambitious and shows conformity but rebelion at the same time...she's clearly unhappy with the system but still goes along with it... how else could i expand on the task at hand?

[Captain Obvious]You could talk about how people are being characterised through the 3rd-person narrative / dialogue.[/Captain Obvious]
    Or to break it down into questions:
    Does the narrative voice encourage a particular way of viewing certain characters through word choice / tone? (I.e. do they seem ridiculous / stupid / selfish / hypocritical / cynical / whatever as a result of the way in which the narrator talks about them?) And does the way in which those characters talk match up to that? (I.e. do their manner of speaking and the topics they discuss correspond to the way they're characterised through the bits written in 3rd-person narrative (and if so, how?), does it supplement those characterisations by adding an extra layer, as it were? Are there characters who are mostly characterised through dialogue / the main narrative, and if so, how does that affect your perception of them? And considering that an awful lot of people in the novel make wrong judgements about their fellow characters at some point, how does the characterisation via the main narrative / through dialogue incorporate changes of character / changed perceptions of character?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_Bridges)

Also characterisation?

Hello... Wuthering Heights and Pride and Prejudice is proving to be a common combination!

I know you said you've found a few of the other forums, but I recommend you subscribe to the following in case there are any developments:
    - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1163355
    - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1158246
    - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...e#post23264220

Anyway, getting back to your question...
    - Narrative style: the masculine vs. feminine narrative voice is a very important point to discuss, especially considering how Lockwood considers his own insufficiency as a narrator (I quoted this somewhere... something when he's describing Heathcliff of "I bestow my own qualities too heavily upon him." Does Austen's narrative voice seem better qualified to act as a narrator when discussing women? Consider the opening line of P&P - "It is a truth universally acknowledged..." as this shows great (and of course ironic) insight into the workings of the female mind at this period of time! (Particularly females such as Mrs Bennet).
    - Importantly, the dialogue is not just between the intimately connected characters in P&P, but between those from a myriad of social backgrounds, especially at the early balls. What is the effect of this varied discourse for the reader? Would the novel be more convincing if all of the conversation was between those who were intimately connected? Why/why not? Would this limit our perspective and make it more difficult for the reader to gain a macrocosmic view? Why is it important that Lizzy in particular speaks to a wide range of people? What does it show about her?
    - A lot of developments in the novel are given through the medium of the letter - are there any disparities between the way that Elizabeth presents herself, and the way that she is presented by the narrator? Does the narrator 'describe' her at all, or is her character determined by action? ... just read this in hobnob's reply... :p:

Anyway, yes... quote me if you want any clarification. Writing gets a bit blurred when I try to do it after work. :\

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.